Sponsored

Battery troubles...

TigerFire13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium PP in Deep Impact Blue
TLDR, I didn't maintain my stock battery. Need it fixed, or need it replaced. Recommendations?

I let the water level in my battery get too low (below the tops of the plates in 4 of 6 cells), and had to add about a third of a liter of distilled water to it. From what I've read, a good amount of sulfation has occurred because of this lack of attention. When fully charged, it still turns the engine over quickly, but there is very little capacity/runtime now. If I let the car sit for a day or two, the starter just clicks.

Is there any way I can restore this battery without special equipment, or should I throw in the towel and get a replacement sealed AGM battery?

2016 Mustang EcoBoost. I Autocross, and I also have dual air compressors w/ 6 gallon tank in the car. Looking at swapping in a group 47 battery instead of the stock 96, seems to be much more options in an ever-so-slightly-taller package.
Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Having worked on industrial lead/acid batteries in the past this can be a sketchy issue. Due to the evap of Distilled water the remaining H2SO4 specific gravity rises. The effect is a higher than usual erosion of the plates. The fines fall to the bottom of the battery and as they build up create low resistance if not a full short across the + and - plates. Once this has started happening there is really no turning back. That said, if caught early enough the H2SO4 (Sulfuric acid) and distilled water can be corrected to the proper SG, then placed on a deep cycle charge. The downside is that you will not know if the battery is salvageable without doing an extended load test on the battery which is more involved than the typical load test done at a shop or autostore.

Properly load testing discharges the battery and at given intervals the voltage, S.G. and current readings are taken. When the battery is in what is considered a full discharged state (not over discharged as there is a difference) the time data is then compared to the Amp Hour rating of the battery. Only then would you know the battery's ability to be salvaged.

What an evaluation and service like this would cost today I have no idea. It would likely be a wash and as such a new replacement would be the better direction to go IMHO.

Sorry there is no black and white answer to your question. In the few months I worked in that capacity I would see batteries (we are talking massive forklift batteries on an industrial scale) that we thought would pass with no problem fail, and batteries look like they had been neglected for decades bounce back and be virtually like new.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I never really thought about it but I assumed the OEM battery supplied by Ford would be a "maintenance-free" type? But we need to check/add water periodically?

OP
OP
TigerFire13

TigerFire13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium PP in Deep Impact Blue
ugstang17,
thank you for the detailed response. I love technical explanations like this. I will probably go and get a replacement then.

Zathras,
As far as I have read, the S550 comes with a standard flooded lead acid battery. I may have shortened the lifespan of my stock sized battery by running air lift and compressors, but I would definitely consider popping the tops occasionally and checking the level. Batteries aren't cheap, and if a simple little check could have saved me $140 (for a stock replacement), I would have had no problem doing it. Ignorance on my part has cost me, in this instance.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I never really thought about it but I assumed the OEM battery supplied by Ford would be a "maintenance-free" type? But we need to check/add water periodically?
That would be correct. Make sure you use Distilled or de-ionized water. Standard tap water contaminates the battery because of its impurities.

And never over fill the battery. As mentioned by OP just assure that the fluid is over the top of the plates. AS long as they are not exposed fluid level is optimal. Overfilling will dilute the SG and the battery will lose its ability to hold charge. If you have a hydrometer you may check the SG. A healthy and Fully charged the SG will read about 1265 at 80F on an automotive. On high capacity industrials we targeted 1280 - 1290 at 80F.

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I have an XSpower D4700 and it is a bit taller, but fits nicely under the battery cover. AGM.

Gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I'm interested in a battery recommendation as well. I've got serious troubles starting the car after this last winter and need to get a new battery - but I want something with a little more capacity than the stock battery. I've been looking at this:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/bosch/s5004/

Anyone got a better suggestion?

Cheers

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
If you store your car for winter, better get a battery tender. Even for daily driven cars, sometimes I put it on tender just to top it up.
My 17 purchased in 16 still has factory battery and no issues what so ever.

Magnetic 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT (pp), 2017 Mustang Ecoboost, 2012 Mustang GT/CS
Just installed an Interstate battery and it FITS darn near perfect. just a smige taller but retains the battery hold down & the cover fits right over with NO issues. its stronger and designed for hot climates. sure beats that junky Motorcraft one. This one is rated at 810CA & 650CCA which I believe is the same as the XS Power D4700
Hope this helps others. the size is MT/H5. The price of $165.00 wasnt bad either
62037494_2425437800807906_1965355632827564032_o.jpg

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Good call.

Was your OE battery the non-sealed type that needs water? Lot's of us had problems with this...in this day and age, the battery living under that cover out of view, you'd never know it needed serviced with dist. water.

Sponsored

Magnetic 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Good call.

Was your OE battery the non-sealed type that needs water? Lot's of us had problems with this...in this day and age, the battery living under that cover out of view, you'd never know it needed serviced with dist. water.
My battery was not the sealed type. it was the factory 96R. My wifes 2012 uses the same one and here in AZ batteries last 3yrs if your lucky (at least the 96R doesn't).

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Race Red
Vehicle Showcase
Just installed an Interstate battery and it FITS darn near perfect. just a smige taller but retains the battery hold down & the cover fits right over with NO issues. its stronger and designed for hot climates. sure beats that junky Motorcraft one. This one is rated at 810CA & 650CCA which I believe is the same as the XS Power D4700
Hope this helps others. the size is MT/H5. The price of $165.00 wasnt bad either
62037494_2425437800807906_1965355632827564032_o.jpg
Where did you purchase this battery?

Magnetic 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)