Convertible top maintenance

Geo2019

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I am getting my my 2019 GT convertible in a week (finally).
I do realize that top fabric needs maintenance such as cleaner/sealer. Probably going to go with
"303 (30520) Convertible Fabric Top Cleaning and Care Kit"

But question is, Do i apply it right from the factory or it already comes with some sort of protection and i only need to apply latter?

Thanks.
Sponsored

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
I am getting my my 2019 GT convertible in a week (finally).
I do realize that top fabric needs maintenance such as cleaner/sealer. Probably going to go with
"303 (30520) Convertible Fabric Top Cleaning and Care Kit"

But question is, Do i apply it right from the factory or it already comes with some sort of protection and i only need to apply latter?

Thanks.
\\

I would put it on from day #1. Chances are that the dealer used heavy pressure to clean the top prior to delivery. Waterproofing will help protect it from day #1.

CVCashmere

bullcity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Just take it to a detail guy. I had ceramic done to my paint. Had the top treated and the interior.

GW65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT auto convertible
In the spirit of science with a control example.... I've never treated the paint or top on any of my cars and they've always looked good as new when I came to sell them (and tops never had any issues). Last car was a Vette C6 convertible I had for nearly 11 years and was my daily-driver all year round. Just saying...

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible
I use the 303 stuff, not for the waterproof element but for the UV protection so the roof lasts longer before the fibres start breaking down.

Sponsored

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I used 303 last fal and am planning on doing another coat once the weather turns really nice here.

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
Hi from Melbourne
So the 303 is the best one?
For cleaning and protection?

Have any fellow vert owners used it over a number of years?
Do you use horse hair brush?
Does 303 overspray damage paint/rubber/glass

Thankyou

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
The first time I used 303 I masked everything off and sprayed it. I wasn’t very happy with the result. The second time I brushed it on, which was much better and no masking. Do not get it on glass or paint! If you think you splattered any, look for it and wipe off immediately with a damp rag. I use a horsehair brush and Woolite Dark for the occasional wash. I do not wash the top every time I wash the car. I have probably only done it 4 times since the good weather arrived in the spring. With the 303, any rainy day takes most dust off the top, so regular washing is minimized.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
The best thing you can do for your top is keep it up as much as possible. If you don't allow creases to set, there are less places for dirt to collect.

Sponsored

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
The 303 is very good. I also found a fabric protectant at West Marine. It's basically the same thing as the 303 and is a bit cheaper. The West Marine store I was at sold both their product and the 303 so I could compare them directly. I tend to agree with Tim_ that the added UV protection is probably the best reason for treating the top but I admit I do like seeing the water bead up and run off as opposed to the soaking wet look. Also, I agree with Johnnybee in that the product works much better if you just brush it on as opposed to spraying it on. it takes a little longer and uses more of the product but the end result is much better, not to mention you don't have to worry about over spray.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
I use West Marine products.

CVCashmere

ranjeetsodhi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ranjeet
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT convertible premium
Put 303 on the convertible roof yesterday afternoon... poured it into a small pan, and used a horsehair brush to apply it carefully. Didn't bother to spray it given the feedback on this thread... Had no issues with overspray or uneven application - but ended up using the entire bottle.

Overall the application seems to have gone without any issues. I do notice some very light spots where there seems to be a bit more of the 303 substance on the roof, but assuming that all of these will fade away (Applied it less than 10 hrs ago). The spots on the photos have all but faded away (this photo was taken a few minutes after I applied 303 on the roof).
MVIMG_20190902_144448.jpg

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Put 303 on the convertible roof yesterday afternoon... poured it into a small pan, and used a horsehair brush to apply it carefully. Didn't bother to spray it given the feedback on this thread... Had no issues with overspray or uneven application - but ended up using the entire bottle.

Overall the application seems to have gone without any issues. I do notice some very light spots where there seems to be a bit more of the 303 substance on the roof, but assuming that all of these will fade away (Applied it less than 10 hrs ago). The spots on the photos have all but faded away (this photo was taken a few minutes after I applied 303 on the roof).
MVIMG_20190902_144448.jpg
Be patient. It takes a while for the top to dry and those uneven color spots will resolve themselves after it dries. Try to avoid letting the top get wet until the 303 is fully dried. After, you should find that water beads up and rolls off the top quite nicely.

ranjeetsodhi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ranjeet
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT convertible premium
Be patient. It takes a while for the top to dry and those uneven color spots will resolve themselves after it dries. Try to avoid letting the top get wet until the 303 is fully dried. After, you should find that water beads up and rolls off the top quite nicely.
Yup - you are spot on/right. The spots have all disappered, and the top looks perfect; infact I think it looks cleaner.

As @Intrepid175 said - Patience is needed for the 303 stuff to fully dry out.
Sponsored