Sponsored

So I took out my Steeda clutch spring...

Coyote15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Abe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I replaced it with the stock spring as I noticed that my 1-2 and 2-3 shifts were becoming less smooth and more jerky. When I first removed the stock spring it seemed better, but after replacing the Steeda back to stock I found the stock actually easier and smoother to accelerate. Also, I enjoy how easy it is now to depress the clutch, with the Steeda it actually required some force! I also noticed that once in a while the clutch pedal would sag instead of sitting right at the top.

Anyone else come to the same conclusion?
Sponsored

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
I haven't installed mine yet because, after several days of driving it with the stock spring (260 miles), I find NOTHING wrong with the stock clutch.

The effort is low and the engagement is fine and linear. It's one of the better manual clutches I have driven.

I have been wondering what the big deal about the Steeda spring is, and I am still wondering.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase

Ronin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTP Stage 1
I'm still wondering too as it is a simple and easy mod but when I drive, the car shifts great. I think most who buy something would love to brag about what a good choice it is... Maybe for them it is. I'm very pleased with the factory set up. However perhaps (based on the link to the thread above) I just don't "modulate" enough lol....

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
I went no spring - and really liked that - definite difference. But due to slight concerns people raise - I installed the Steeda spring - and that was hardly noticeable from no-spring - so I'm happy.

Sponsored

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
I'm happy with my Steeda spring but the increased clutch effort will be an issue with my daughters especially in stop and go driving, so I'm putting the stock one back in

I'll keep the Steeda though when they don't drive the car as much

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I think most who buy something would love to brag about what a good choice it is... Maybe for them it is.
This is very true for a lot of mods, but I think for a $20 product with quick swap time, you are going to get more realistic opinions instead of people deluding themselves into loving it.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
ON my GT350 it felt like the factory dual rate spring would change rates at the exact moment the clutch would begin to engage. I looked like a manual transmission rookie trying to drive the car smoothly. The single rate spring simplified the process and evened out the pedal pressure allowing me to feel the clutch without interference.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I stretched the Steeda spring to 3.25" long and now I'd never go back to stock or no spring.

Reactions: A7X

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I stretched the Steeda spring to 3.25" long and now I'd never go back to stock or no spring.
hi GregO, can you please let us know what this stretching does to the feel? Does it make it easier to press the clutch in and give a smoother engagement or is the stock spring still easier to push the clutch in?

Sponsored

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
I’m one who likes the heavy clutch feel. Even after the Steeda install I didn’t think it was taut enough for me.

However after they swapped my trans out it felt much better. I suspect that when they bled the line that helped even more.

OP
OP
Coyote15

Coyote15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Abe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I haven't installed mine yet because, after several days of driving it with the stock spring (260 miles), I find NOTHING wrong with the stock clutch.

The effort is low and the engagement is fine and linear. It's one of the better manual clutches I have driven.

I have been wondering what the big deal about the Steeda spring is, and I am still wondering.
Honestly if you feel perfectly fine driving it as it is you might be better off leaving it. You could take out the spring just to see how it is as the Steeda is pretty similar. For me, I realized that the lighter clutch was easier for me to shift smoothly...

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
hi GregO, can you please let us know what this stretching does to the feel? Does it make it easier to press the clutch in and give a smoother engagement or is the stock spring still easier to push the clutch in?
It helps hold pedal free play to a minimum. I feel it allows a perfect amount of free play vs zero free play with OEM spring and to much pedal free play with no spring at all.
The OEM spring feels 100% linear from top to bottom. My stretched Steeda spring gives a slight disengagement feel at about 2/3rd’s travel from top. Not exactly a snap clutch feel but my foot definitely feels when the pressure plate touches the flywheel.

Last edited:
Reactions: A7X

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
Count me as another owner that did the Steeda spring and went back to stock. I honestly never had an issue with the stock setup but all the glowing reviews and the low price of entry made it seem like an easy one to do. After a couple of days I swapped it back to stock and its been over 18 months and I still think the stock clutch feel is linear and smooth.

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It helps hold the the peddle free play to a minimum. I feel it allows a perfect amount of free play vs zero free play with OEM spring and to much peddle free play with no spring at all.
The OEM spring feels 100% linear from top to bottom. My stretched Steeda spring gives a slight disengagement feel at about 2/3rd’s travel from top. Not exactly a snap clutch feel but my foot definitely feels when the pressure plate touches the flywheel.
Thanks GregO I shall give it a try this weekend

Cheers
Sponsored