Sponsored

New LT1 V8 trim for 2020 Camaro

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford-GM_10-speed_automatic_transmission

"This transmission is part of a joint-venture between General Motors and Ford Motor Company to design and engineer two transmissions, a longitudinal 10-speed transmission and a transverse 9-speed trans-axle. Each company will manufacture its own unique version of the transmissions in their own factories."

I do recall seeing Ford was not happy with the 9 speed for FWD applications, so they went another route.
Both companies state this:
Ford is to develop the A-10
GM is to develop the A-9

Then share tech.
Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
According to Ford and GM's own press releases.
The A-10 was developed by Ford.
The A-9 was developed by GM.

Ford chose to not use the A-9 in fwd vehicles.
GM did choose to use the A-10 in rwd cars and trucks.
The A9 is for FWD applications Ford decided to use a version of the A9 but it's and A8, eight speed instead

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Agreed on the demise of the Camaro being GM's own fault. Rumor is, this was almost the design of the 6th gen Camaro;

img1243038287-1452515706768.jpg

Buick dressed it up with their logo, and it was shown for a few hours at one car show. It was quickly whisked away, and never seen/heard from again.

Buick Avista. Apparently it received a lot of praise, and the internet had their bodies ready. But even letting this see the light of day apparently ruffled some feathers in the higher-ups at GM, to the point where the Avista is a 4 letter word at GM.
It looks good, but it has too many Ford design cues. The front grill, the body lines in the hood.. even the fender vents.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
When the refresh the Mustang had for the 2010 model year started hitting the streets, the new Camaro was also starting to make its rounds in my neck of the woods. If I saw either vehicle from the front, I would have to do a double-take to determine if I was looking at a Camaro or a Mustang. The front ends of the vehicles with the halogen reflectors were very similar. Side profiles and seeing the back would not cause this confusion. Or if the Camaro was the RS with the xenon projector headlights, or the rare 2010-2012 Mustang with the xenon projector option.

I've come to find that now all cars are starting to look the same. Maybe it's just me getting old, but GM crossovers look like Ford crossovers, which look like Honda crossovers, which look like Toyota crossovers.

I don't really see much Mustang "DNA" in there, other than it's a coupe, but we all see something different when we look at the designs.

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
I wonder if they'll offer the LT1 trim level in other cars ... I'd love to have a ZL1 1LE LT1 ...
I cant wait for the four wheel drive version, the ZL1 1LE LT1 Z71

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
An all wheel drive Camaro? That would be badass. Challenger has an AWD variant, although only in V6 trim :(
Too bad Dodge doesn't use an awesome naming scheme like GM.

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
Too bad Dodge doesn't use an awesome naming scheme like GM.
I see the naming comments a lot here. I kinda get it... but at the same time

SS 1LE had the same number of letters as GT PP2

As does GT350R and ZL1 1LE

So what's the rub?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I see the naming comments a lot here. I kinda get it... but at the same time

SS 1LE had the same number of letters as GT PP2

As does GT350R and ZL1 1LE

So what's the rub?
Performance Pack = cool name. PP actually means something. It's not just letters.

ZL1 and 1LE = random letters. No meaning. Stupid.

GM should at least use some cool letters like X or R if they are going to just use random letters for their naming.

Some of their names like Z/28 at least sound cool even if they don't mean anything. But there is no Z/28 right now.

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Performance Pack = cool name. PP actually means something. It's not just letters.

ZL1 and 1LE = random letters. No meaning. Stupid.

GM should at least use some cool letters like X or R if they are going to just use random letters for their naming.

Some of their names like Z/28 at least sound cool even if they don't mean anything. But there is no Z/28 right now.
Cool letters like X and R. Got it. Makes sense.

Z = not cool, X = cool

1LE Track Performance Package sounds pretty cool to me.

Maybe they should rename the PP2 to PPP for Performance Poser Package. Awesome for 1 lap before you have to head back to the paddock.

Sponsored

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
GM doesn't use random letters/numbers for their ZL1/1LE models. These are actually based off of the RPO codes on how a car is optioned.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Cool letters like X and R. Got it. Makes sense.

Z = not cool, X = cool

1LE Track Performance Package sounds pretty cool to me.

Maybe they should rename the PP2 to PPP for Performance Poser Package. Awesome for 1 lap before you have to head back to the paddock.
No, I would say that Z is a decent letter. It does make me think of a different brand when Z is associated with a car, though. But 1LE is seriously lame. So is LT1.

GM doesn't use random letters/numbers for their ZL1/1LE models. These are actually based off of the RPO codes on how a car is optioned.
They might want to get their marketing people involved in fixing those RPO codes, then so they suck less.

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, I would say that Z is a decent letter. It does make me think of a different brand when Z is associated with a car, though. But 1LE is seriously lame. So is LT1.

They might want to get their marketing people involved in fixing those RPO codes, then so they suck less.
I've never heard anyone discuss the cool factor of RPO codes.

You can have whatever opinion you want, but the fact is the 1LE packages are legit and mean business. Hard to say that about the PP1/2. The GT350 is rad, but the story of the origination of its name is kinda lame. Still bums me out that they even made them without the track pack for a while. You know about that first hand if I remember correctly.

I guess if they named it ZXR maybe it would be cooler. Wait... no, XZR. Yeah.

Fetlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT MT
Haha, but isn't it kinda like naming your kids after their social security numbers? Hey M345345688, tell your sister F6678909834 dinner is ready!

I'm not sure that the distance between Shelby's garages makes more sense.

At the end of the day, a rose by any other name... If they looked good and you could see out of them, they would sell a ton of Camaros because the engine and chassis are excellent.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've never heard anyone discuss the cool factor of RPO codes.

You can have whatever opinion you want, but the fact is the 1LE packages are legit and mean business. Hard to say that about the PP1/2. The GT350 is rad, but the story of the origination of its name is kinda lame. Still bums me out that they even made them without the track pack for a while. You know about that first hand if I remember correctly.

I guess if they named it ZXR maybe it would be cooler. Wait... no, XZR. Yeah.
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the car or its option packages, just agreeing with others that the alphanumeric naming is not that good.

I like the GT350 origination story and the fact that there is one. Is there a cool 1LE origination story? Something about putting one lame engine into the car?
Sponsored