Sponsored

I know it's beaten to death, but camber plates vs bolts!

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I see the bolts can give you the Ford recommended 1.5 degree of negative camber, right ?

Does anyone track with the camber bolts? Obviously they are thinner than oem bolts, hence the concern of reliability on track...

So if you do get that camber set to 1.5, would leaving it like that all the time cause excessive tire wear ? I am pretty sure 0.5 degree would not do much (stock is -1) , but asking to see what others have done...

Many thanks
Sponsored

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
I've ran camber bolts in other cars... my opinion is that there are lots of cars with eccentric bolts from the factory to adjust alignment, but there IS a risk factor in going with something less strong than oem....

I usually drive w/ more than -2.5 camber, but do enough track days and autox events that street driving will never kill my tires faster than those events will... as long as toe is close to 0 the extra camber shouldn't cause extreme wear.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
About 2 - 2.2 degrees with my camber bolts. Mostly drive to and from the track so it doesn't give the tire a chance to wear unevenly.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
I use both the plates and a bolt to get to 3.2 degrees of camber. Seems to be the right mix for tracking the car and no outside edge tire wear. Using the bolts alone will get the tire/wheel too close to the strut.
If you are only looking for 1.5 degrees, bolts will probably work fine.
BTW: With this set up, I also use a 5mm spacer between the brake rotor and the wheel to make sure the wheel clears the strut.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I use both the plates and a bolt to get to 3.2 degrees of camber. Seems to be the right mix for tracking the car and no outside edge tire wear. Using the bolts alone will get the tire/wheel too close to the strut.
BTW: With this set up, I also use a 5mm spacer between the brake rotor and the wheel to make sure the wheel clears the strut.
I do this too. The BMR bolts are extremely heavy duty (grade 12 I think?). No fear running them

Sponsored

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
This post reminded me I forgot to mention my wheels have 7mm less offset than the factory so the above info may be accurate. With 7mm of less offset and 305/30 tires have no rubbing issues. BMR are the bolts I'm using.

CORRECTION: edited with LESS offset

Last edited:

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
More offset would generally require more spacers to achieve same end result I think...

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Actually this hasn't been beaten to death because there was a time when bolts were a terrible idea. They would slip or weren't reliable etc etc. But now times seem to be changing some. I run plates because I wanted to start with a solid (no pun intended) foundation.

OP
OP
torque124

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks all, I am going to start with bolts and see how it goes. I don't track that often so I would probably keep a compromised value of 1.5 to 2 and see what I get. My outside tire is pretty worn due to stock camber and 3 track days.
I'll probably add plates next year with new tires and most likely some lighter wheels...

Sponsored

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
I got 2.4 negative out of the BMR bolts with no plates. I am very happy with so far. The wheel is close to the strut but no clearance issues with stock wheel or R spec wheel and Cup2s.

OP
OP
torque124

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I got 2.4 negative out of the BMR bolts with no plates. I am very happy with so far. The wheel is close to the strut but no clearance issues with stock wheel or R spec wheel and Cup2s.
Do you daily drive also, or mostly track with it ? I was curios how much extra wear if driven regularly on the street...

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Do you daily drive also, or mostly track with it ? I was curios how much extra wear if driven regularly on the street...
Camber doesn't wear out tires nearly as fast as toe. I run the same camber on the streets for the last year with no unusual signs of wear and I'm also toed to the maximum limit allowed.

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Camber doesn't wear out tires nearly as fast as toe. I run the same camber on the streets for the last year with no unusual signs of wear and I'm also toed to the maximum limit allowed.
Yep, toe (especially toe out) is what will eat your tires the most. I am not daily driving mine but I take it to work on nice days and the wear has been fine for me as well (I run a hair of toe in now up front).

OP
OP
torque124

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
....what I noticed in the supplement is that they recommend a rear toe in of -0.30 degrees, is that too much to be left for street all day long ? Front says toe out 0.10, which is ok I suppose...
From your feedback, I could in theory set a camber of -2 for the front, and just leave it to to that...

Many thanks
Sponsored