Sponsored

Brand new.. stripe Issue - easy to correct?

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
On my 16 the rear fascia had a bad gouge on the side of it when I looked at it on the showroom floor. I know the guy that owns the body shop here in the small town I live in that does there body work. He took the fascia completely off and repainted it (my car was blue) and put new Ford stripes on it. And it was flawless. Color was exact no matter what angle you looked at it including direct sun. Point here if a good reputable body shop, even a small one with the paints now a days they can make it perfect. That same dealership also later on got a new 18 that the front fascia was messed up some (it was yellow). Same body shop took the front fascia off, repainted it and put new Ford stripes on it and you could not tell was ever done, paint match perfect in any lighting.
Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Yea.. This out of state purchase thing is stressing me out heh. The transport guy found a tiny chip the dealership said they missed also. The dealership said it's their fault and "will make it right".. They have been really great though, this purchase has been going on since November, I'm sure they will - just not sure what to ask for, especially since it's already on a transport! Seems crazy to say it needs to be removed and repainted.
Leaning towards asking for some touch up cans, clear + factory paint.
IMG_20190504_161029.jpg
I *think* that mark is only in the clearcoat, has not attacked the paint (I think, more upclose investigation with a magnifier is needed). I could probably take it out with my random sander and some Meguairs M105 cutting compound... I removed some similar marks left by &(*(*&(^*%%^&& smashing doors in my driver's door... Some people are just pigs, not worth living.
If possible, don't get it re-painted, unless done professional and the whole bumper is painted ...

OP
OP
slikk66

slikk66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350, 1966 Mustang Coupe
I *think* that mark is only in the clearcoat, has not attacked the paint (I think, more upclose investigation with a magnifier is needed). I could probably take it out with my random sander and some Meguairs M105 cutting compound... I removed some similar marks left by &(*(*&(^*%%^&& smashing doors in my driver's door... Some people are just pigs, not worth living.
If possible, don't get it re-painted, unless done professional and the whole bumper is painted ...
I got the car today.. I only looked for a minute or 2, but whatever was in this picture I don't think is even there anymore.. Maybe it was a piece of wrap plastic or something, I didn't even see it. At that point I stopped caring about it hah!

The stripes do need to be fixed, you can push down the little bubbles, and it mostly "fixes it" but then they lift back up a minute or 2 later, so I'm sure that would only get worse.. I'll take it in for that.

Thanks for the reply! Absolutely loving the car.. all 35 miles I got to drive it today.. can't wait for the weekend.
20190507_185651.jpg

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
It was an odd looking mark, probably bird doody. Congrats on the car!

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
easy fix is the vinyl. if the dealer for some reason cant do it, they'll outsource the job, just like many ford dealers outsource body shop work etc. auto detail shops that do ceramic coating and PPF can do it easily. no worries man.

that said, galpin ford is huge and as you know do all those shelbys and roushes and blowers etc. so i think they'll probably take care of this in house.

Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Have you tried warming up the vinyl with a hair dryer ? It usually melts the glue and make it stick.... use a credit card or plastic squeegee like when applying film...

Also, does the 2019 not use the latest rear lights, which are shaped differently than 2016+ ones ? It looks like you have the same lights as mine, do you have any pics just from behind ?
Thanks

OP
OP
slikk66

slikk66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
easy fix is the vinyl. if the dealer for some reason cant do it, they'll outsource the job, just like many ford dealers outsource body shop work etc. auto detail shops that do ceramic coating and PPF can do it easily. no worries man.

that said, galpin ford is huge and as you know do all those shelbys and roushes and blowers etc. so i think they'll probably take care of this in house.
Yea that's the plan. I'll probably bring it there for the first big service appointment. I still need to get the adjustable strut tops installed also. So I'll plan to do a few things at once.

After I rinsed off all the grime last night from delivery, I did find a scuff mark of some type, looked like an oily rag mark by the spoiler, but rubbing it with a soft towel didn't take it off. It's not bad, and didn't seem to get through the paint at all. Guessing that some polishing compound would take it off, but I'll have to look into what to use. Any advice welcome!

OP
OP
slikk66

slikk66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you tried warming up the vinyl with a hair dryer ? It usually melts the glue and make it stick.... use a credit card or plastic squeegee like when applying film...

Also, does the 2019 not use the latest rear lights, which are shaped differently than 2016+ ones ? It looks like you have the same lights as mine, do you have any pics just from behind ?
Thanks
That's the best I have right now but if you'd
20190507_185659.jpg
like another lmk.

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
[QUOTE="slikk66, post: 2542390, member: 40845]
After I rinsed off all the grime last night from delivery, I did find a scuff mark of some type, looked like an oily rag mark by the spoiler, but rubbing it with a soft towel didn't take it off. It's not bad, and didn't seem to get through the paint at all. Guessing that some polishing compound would take it off, but I'll have to look into what to use. Any advice welcome![/QUOTE]

this is the stuff I swear by...

Griot's Garage 10862 Complete... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PA2LMD2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
That's the best I have right now but if you'd like another lmk.
Very nice, like the new wing ! It looks though they used the classic style rear lights.
Enjoy it
Sponsored