Unemployment hits 49 year low - why conservatism doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Just wondering with all the great economic news how Trump's political opponents are going to say that they can do better.

We just got away from Obama with record numbers of people on welfare. Trump comes in and now with his changes we have a 49 year low in unemployment. And minorities and women have benefitted the most from the Trump policies.

So I'm asking people to come in and tell me what's wrong with the conservative policies that Trump has implemented. Why is it bad that so many people have jobs now?
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Note: I don't do politics. It usually brings out the worst in people.

But... I came in here to say that while the economy is doing well, it's unsustainable. Economies don't just stand still(stagnant), it's more like a rollercoaster ride. Ups and downs. I think we should enjoy it while it lasts.

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Note: I don't do politics. It usually brings out the worst in people.

But... I came in here to say that while the economy is doing well, it's unsustainable. Economies don't just stand still(stagnant), it's more like a rollercoaster ride. Ups and downs. I think we should enjoy it while it lasts.
I get the strategy. Just say that the economy has nothing to do with "the government's economic policy" and it's all random. However, if I were trying to encourage someone to vote for me instead of Trump, I think I need something better than that. If the economy is random, there's no reason to get rid of Trump.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I get what you're saying, but Trump's policies are not conservative, they're neo-conservative, at best. If they were conservative, he'd be looking to reduce spending at all costs to give people more money through lower taxes, mostly by rolling back government programs/projects. Instead, he's deficit-spending to buy his way into giving people "more" money, and hasn't actually reduced the scope, size, or role over government, just reduced overall tax revenue through cuts.

This isn't a liberal view (I'm a conservative-leaning Libertarian), but you can't conflate these policies with ACTUAL conservative policies, just as you can't with Reagan's policies.

JR

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Unemployment struggled throughout the entirety of Obama's tenure, as well as welfare recipients increasing, as well as disability benefits skyrocketing. He wanted to penalize those who made more money. The stock market rose immediately after the 2016 election (as it often does), but there was no correction right after it. In fact, it has been climbing at an unbelievable rate. There is waaay more confidence, with regulation cuts and business tax decreases.

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I get the strategy. Just say that the economy has nothing to do with "the government's economic policy" and it's all random. However, if I were trying to encourage someone to vote for me instead of Trump, I think I need something better than that. If the economy is random, there's no reason to get rid of Trump.
You mean like bribing you with:
A $10,000 universal welfare check
Forgiving your $50,000 in school loans
"Free" health care

Of course the smart ask where all the "free" money will come from.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
You mean like bribing you with:
A $10,000 universal welfare check
Forgiving your $50,000 in school loans
"Free" health care

Of course the smart ask where all the "free" money will come from.
This. Funny how nobody considers where all the free stuff will come from. Completely unsustainable.

Meanwhile, lots of people got to pay income tax this year based on what I've heard from an accountant friend. Including yours truly (I had a hunch I might), and I haven't paid in in many years.....

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
People underestimate just how much regulation rollback under Trump is helping small business. In a fit of perverseness, CA, IL and NY ratcheted up business regulation to show Trump who is boss, feel sorry for those guys trying to get ahead out there.

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I get what you're saying, but Trump's policies are not conservative, they're neo-conservative, at best. If they were conservative, he'd be looking to reduce spending at all costs to give people more money through lower taxes, mostly by rolling back government programs/projects. Instead, he's deficit-spending to buy his way into giving people "more" money, and hasn't actually reduced the scope, size, or role over government, just reduced overall tax revenue through cuts.

This isn't a liberal view (I'm a conservative-leaning Libertarian), but you can't conflate these policies with ACTUAL conservative policies, just as you can't with Reagan's policies.

JR
I agree that Trump has allowed Congress to continue runaway spending. And we have seen that the Republicans in Congress aren't willing to cut spending any more than the Democrats are. Trump didn't fight his own party as much as I would like to try to reduce spending. He has fought them though. But he has found areas to compromise as well. I think that may be part of why he has been so effective. He has found a way to compromise with the establishment in a way that has gotten them to work with him rather than completely shutting him out.

I disagree with your statements about Trump not limiting the scope/size/role of government. He has done a lot of that within his area of authority. It's just that where his authority overlaps with the establishment RINOs that Trump hasn't been able to reduce as much. He has taken some of the teeth out of Obamacare and done some other pretty major things. He just hasn't done everything that conservatives want.

Just remember though, a typical establishment RINO would have done many fewer government regulation reductions. Trump has accomplished a lot in his time in office. I think he will accomplish a lot more.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
You obviously did not get the memo that this all started under Obozo's watch and Trump is just taking credit for what would normally have happened no matter who won the 2016 election. :crazy:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You obviously did not get the memo that this all started under Obozo's watch and Trump is just taking credit for what would normally have happened no matter who won the 2016 election. :crazy:
And remember that the bad economy all during Obama's presidency was due to Bush. Obama wasn't able to do anything to improve the economy and he said that high unemployment was the new normal.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Yeah, Obama did absolutely nothing to stimulate the economy. Regulations on business and environmental regulations strangled the natural flow. Just the fact that Trump started to talk about these things gave the economy a huge shot in the arm. After that, the fact that he is trying to deliver on these promises and has been successful in many areas have had an excellent impact on things.

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yeah, Obama did absolutely nothing to stimulate the economy. Regulations on business and environmental regulations strangled the natural flow. Just the fact that Trump started to talk about these things gave the economy a huge shot in the arm. After that, the fact that he is trying to deliver on these promises and has been successful in many areas have had an excellent impact on things.
Agreed. And when you look at how many people have jobs now versus being on welfare during Obama's presidency, it's obvious that Trump's policies have made a huge difference for a lot of people.

Obama said that he wanted to help people, but everything he did hurt millions of people by limiting their opportunities to work, make their own money and be productive. He especially hurt minorities and women.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Unemployment has been trending down since 2009/2010. So has Welfare spending. Nothing has changed in the last 2yrs other than the trends continuing. It's not like there has been some U-turn. Look at the historical data from previous years. Its all downward slopes since 2009/2010.

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
Unemployment has been trending down since 2009/2010. So has Welfare spending. Nothing has changed in the last 2yrs other than the trends continuing. It's not like there has been some U-turn. Look at the historical data from previous years. Its all downward slopes since 2009/2010.
Only the downward trends of unemployment and wage stagnation turned into a cliff under the decreased cloud of government regulation.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.