Sponsored

Mustang Bullitt vs Civic Type R // Clash Of Cultures // Throttle House

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Lot's of people getting 29 on the highway using cruise control.
So lots of people resetting the fuel economy calculator while cruising and then seeing 29 for a short distance of all highway with absolutely no stops, hills, wind, running at 60 mph? Or real fuel economy driving on the highway, but also with getting on and off the highway, with other cars on the road, passing people, slowing for traffic, driving at 75 mph when possible, etc? The EPA says 25 mpg and in my experience it's rare to get better than an EPA rating.

Todd00000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
So lots of people resetting the fuel economy calculator while cruising and then seeing 29 for a short distance of all highway with absolutely no stops, hills, wind, running at 60 mph? g.
1. What did I say?
2. It doesn't have to be a short distance.
3. It seems you need more elaboration. Yes, HIGHWAY MPG of 29+ can be achieved using cruise control at speeds in the 75mph area.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
1. What did I say?
2. It doesn't have to be a short distance.
3. It seems you need more elaboration. Yes, HIGHWAY MPG of 29+ can be achieved using cruise control at speeds in the 75mph area.
Not that I care about fuel economy - it's not why I bought the car. But I owned a 2015 GT for a year and I did take some long highway trips with it. So I know what reality is vs. what you are saying.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Can't say enough how much I hate all the massive fake vents and grilles on the Type R, both front and back. That, and the Toyota Avalon's vents are the worse. What's also awful are the large fake vents on a base civic. I mean, come on!!

But the fake vents on the front of the Mustang are OK?

Sponsored

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
But the fake vents on the front of the Mustang are OK?
Not looking to argue, just double-checking - which fake vents on the front of the Mustang do you mean?

Looking at the front, there's the upper grille, which is partially blocked off but not really a fake vent, and there's the lower grille is all black but not designed to look like a vent, and then the corner vents, which I believe are functional for some models and not on others, so fake vents weren't really part of that aspect of the design. Did you mean one of those, or did I miss something?

King_V

2015 Mustang GT Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais, 1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Toyota Prius Two Eco
Not that I care about fuel economy - it's not why I bought the car. But I owned a 2015 GT for a year and I did take some long highway trips with it. So I know what reality is vs. what you are saying.
I will occasionally take my 2015 GT to work. 3.15 gears, the standard 235/50R18 tires.

31 miles out of the 36.5 miles I drive to work are on cruise control about 70 MPH. The other 5.5 miles is about 35 and 45 MPH zones with a few traffic lights. I keep the tires inflated to about 48 or so PSI (out of the 51 max).

In good weather, with the AC running, I have gotten as much as 27-28 MPG out of it. I tend to lean on it getting up to speed, though. I do not drive fast on the commute because there are speed traps, and, frankly, I don't feel like getting a ticket and being late to work because I was goofing around.

29 might be rare, but is probably not out of the question, were I commuting with this car on a daily basis.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I will occasionally take my 2015 GT to work. 3.15 gears, the standard 235/50R18 tires.

31 miles out of the 36.5 miles I drive to work are on cruise control about 70 MPH. The other 5.5 miles is about 35 and 45 MPH zones with a few traffic lights. I keep the tires inflated to about 48 or so PSI (out of the 51 max).

In good weather, with the AC running, I have gotten as much as 27-28 MPG out of it. I tend to lean on it getting up to speed, though. I do not drive fast on the commute because there are speed traps, and, frankly, I don't feel like getting a ticket and being late to work because I was goofing around.

29 might be rare, but is probably not out of the question, were I commuting with this car on a daily basis.
Wow, seriously over inflated tires! But that should help somewhat with fuel economy, I guess. I bet it really messes up the car's performance and shortens the tire life, though.

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
This is a Mustang GT vs Type-R thread, but it devolved into two people bragging over MPG. This is just sad.

According to my spreadsheet I've driven over 4,400 miles and averaged 12.05 MPG. My rears are looking slightly sad as well.

I think, just maybe there's an inverse relationship between MPG and smiles per gallon.

Or I'm just wrong. But I don't think so.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It's nice to own a Ford that is built to handle abuse. Hondas aren't as well built and they break too easily. Especially the manual transmissions aren't well made.

King_V

2015 Mustang GT Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais, 1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Toyota Prius Two Eco
and

Wow, seriously over inflated tires! But that should help somewhat with fuel economy, I guess. I bet it really messes up the car's performance and shortens the tire life, though.
This is perpetual debate I have with my brother. He insists that the label the car came with that states what PSI to use is the way to go.

I have been more inclined to believe what I read from some mechanics, and those who've claimed tire manufacturing experience, in that no car manufacturer can account for every tire that's available both from the factory and aftermarket, not to mention tire development over the course of years. Ergo, I go a little under max pressure listed on the sidewall of the tire - which in the case of the tires on my car, is listed as 51 PSI max.

The most extreme example I can think of is the door jamb from my old 1972 Olds 98, which listed a tire pressure of 28 PSI. I'm sure that made sense for the bias-ply tires it came with from the factory, which I think has 32 PSI listed as their max. Not so much for the radials I had on it in the early 2000s which were more or less the same aspect ratio, but listed as 44 PSI max.

I get that over-inflation wears out the centers of the tread prematurely, and underinflation wears out the edges prematurely. But what constitutes over vs under inflation is, I think, based on the design of the tire, not the car.

Side-note: those who I've seen write about this who claim tire manufacturing experience also note that the max PSI is cold, and that a lot of margin of error is designed into the max rating.

Side-note-2: while I would never advocate this, I remember in the mid-1990s once buying a used 1987 Honda CRX, which was nice overall but had weirdly hard-feeling suspension. I wondered about this for 2 weeks, then decided to check tire pressure. Tires were rated at max 44 PSI. The previous owner had inflated them to 65 PSI :facepalm: . . I would NOT AT ALL recommend that EVER!

King_V

2015 Mustang GT Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is a Mustang GT vs Type-R thread, but it devolved into two people bragging over MPG. This is just sad.

According to my spreadsheet I've driven over 4,400 miles and averaged 12.05 MPG. My rears are looking slightly sad as well.

I think, just maybe there's an inverse relationship between MPG and smiles per gallon.

Or I'm just wrong. But I don't think so.

Not really - when you're comparing something like a Civic to a Mustang, and choosing one over the other, particularly for a daily driver, fuel economy can be a serious consideration.

Plus, you can't lean hard on the car everywhere you go on every drive, not and keep your license, at any rate.

So, fuel economy can be a factor. And, I for one think that it's great that you can have this kind of power these days AND be able to get decent fuel economy at the same time.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Not looking to argue, just double-checking - which fake vents on the front of the Mustang do you mean?

Looking at the front, there's the upper grille, which is partially blocked off but not really a fake vent, and there's the lower grille is all black but not designed to look like a vent, and then the corner vents, which I believe are functional for some models and not on others, so fake vents weren't really part of that aspect of the design. Did you mean one of those, or did I miss something?

All the flat black plastic fake grill areas. Lower chin pieces on 2018+, side nostrils in the main grill area. About half the remaining grill area in both the upper and lower grills.

Basicly almost all current cars have a lot of fake grill area and scoops. So it's hard to throw stones. But yes, the new Civic takes it to a new level, and is just all around not very attractive.
Sponsored