Sponsored

Houston we got a problem

Guzmans5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang gt
Well to cut it short I was away for a couple days and came home my car had some bird crap on it and it did some pretty good damage. I didn’t notice till I was washing the car this morning and paint started chipping off from where the poop was. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do or should I just get the whole fender repainted? I’m good a diys but idk about this one.
7923CE16-9153-43E1-8A0D-EF75D2811FFD.jpeg
70730234-71CF-421F-9917-03E8337C8A75.jpeg
657D9812-78B7-4705-86EC-88F87BCE4DDA.jpeg
Sponsored

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Race Red
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, the paint on these cars are of poor quality. It chips very easily.

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
Sadly it's the norm these days.. Challenger and Camaro folks are complaining of the same thing... Watching those "How It's Made Shows" where they show the car body going through all kinds of dips in chemicals it's a wonder paint is so bad these days.. Guess it's right up there with engines, rear ends and trannys we don't seem to be able to manufacture anymore. Very sad....

Sponsored

OP
OP
Guzmans5.0

Guzmans5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang gt
Dayumm!... That's from bird poop?!!.. WTF those birds eating now days!!!
Yeah it was outside in my driveway with 90+ weather for two days and guess it did some damage. There were two spots with poop but thankfully the other one only left a stain that I managed to polish off.

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
Did you let it soak before washing it off? I'd guess you are looking at a full repaint there.

MKMotorsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Convertible
It looks like there are two slight impacts in the metal itself in the effected area? Like two pinpoint sized divots? Maybe it was previously damaged by something else or maybe the factory painted over that blemish in the fender and it was vulnerable from that pre-existing damage.

OP
OP
Guzmans5.0

Guzmans5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang gt
It looks like there are two slight impacts in the metal itself in the effected area? Like two pinpoint sized divots? Maybe it was previously damaged by something else or maybe the factory painted over that blemish in the fender and it was vulnerable from that pre-existing damage.
You know what I hadn’t noticed that until now, but even then for it to peel completely off like that is weird as hell. I was thinking about sanding the area nearby and spray painting it but I can’t find any good spray paint to match the factory color. The paint also looks quite thin too, I have my side mirrors peeling on the top portion seems it’s a common problem with these cars.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
that looks like a rattlesnake bite. Even Ford paint can't hold up to that.

I don't imagine a DIY repair will look very good.

Sponsored

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Race Red
Vehicle Showcase
That will need the expertise of a professional if you want it to look correct.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Absolutely 0 chance that the damage there was done by bird poop alone. For it to chip and flake off like that, the panel had to have been repainted poorly. The poop isn't so acidic that it penetrates the clear, base, and primer coats. At most, it'll just take the clear coat off, but after it's dried in the sun, it's not going to keep penetrating down. Those dimples look like a tac weld puller spots. My guess is that the panel in question has been repaired and repainted very poorly before.

OP
OP
Guzmans5.0

Guzmans5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang gt
Absolutely 0 chance that the damage there was done by bird poop alone. For it to chip and flake off like that, the panel had to have been repainted poorly. The poop isn't so acidic that it penetrates the clear, base, and primer coats. At most, it'll just take the clear coat off, but after it's dried in the sun, it's not going to keep penetrating down. Those dimples look like a tac weld puller spots. My guess is that the panel in question has been repaired and repainted very poorly before.
Yeah that’s what I was thinking also, but as far as I knew my car didn’t have any accidents reported and I never noticed anything wrong with the paint before. Just happened out of the blue

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Something fairly minor may not show up on a carfax. You could get the car inspected to see if there is evidence of paint repairs.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Take it to the Dealership and see what they say.

That should be covered under the paint warranty because factory applied paint should not just peel or flake off after washing bird crap or anything else off of the car....

Did you buy that car new or used?
Sponsored