Sponsored

Car and Driver: 2016 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Z51 vs. 2016 Ford Mustang GT350

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2013 BOSS 302
Add 250 or so pounds to the vette and you have your 1LE. They should put 4.11's in the 2017 350's, and bump the rev limiter to compensate, I think it would do wonders for the car.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Seeing as the sales of the vette haven't been this high since 07, I don't think it's for lack of demand. It's because the vette isn't a special model. The Z06 typically sees ADM still, even though those are much easier to find near MSRP.
It's a great car and I completely understand why a lot of people buy them. I'd love to have one some day, but the Mustang just keeps getting better. People just aren't willing to pay MSRP for a Corvette. That's all I'm saying. Dealers would 100% sell them at MSRP or more if they could. The dealers would like to make more money from the cars.

Most people just aren't willing to pay MSRP for them.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
It's a great car and I completely understand why a lot of people buy them. I'd love to have one some day, but the Mustang just keeps getting better. People just aren't willing to pay MSRP for a Corvette. That's all I'm saying. Dealers would 100% sell them at MSRP or more if they could. The dealers would like to make more money from the cars.

I agree that the performance differences have been shrinking, and with the latest 350 (if you can get it for sub 60k) and SS, the corvette cost up is questionable. People paying above MSRP for SVT models is typical. I don't think the vette, GT, or any type of "base" car as such have ever held a long term ADM.

HiFi

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G8GT

I've been looking at GTs and one of the big motivators is you can find the 41k loaded model for about 35 or 36k...significantly below msrp.

Stands to reason the gt350 only had ADM due to being new and limited production. Vette is on its 3rd year and they sell a ton of them, for a higher price.

Just calling it like I see it. Vette out performed the gt350 as expected, wish it was a gt350R.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Dunno why this thread popped up for me to look at, but I've been considering a C& Z51 Stingray.

They can be had new for low $50s, and other than the pathetic steering feel, they really are a fantastic machine. And that removable roof panel adds a whole dimension to the driving experience. I'm done with Mustangs and no sun/moon roofs, it's denying me part of the driving experience.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Good read but GT350 is not faster than a 10R80 GT in the 1/4th.

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Dunno why this thread popped up for me to look at, but I've been considering a C& Z51 Stingray.

They can be had new for low $50s, and other than the pathetic steering feel, they really are a fantastic machine. And that removable roof panel adds a whole dimension to the driving experience. I'm done with Mustangs and no sun/moon roofs, it's denying me part of the driving experience.
If I didn't need a back seat for the little one, I would be back in a Corvette. They are amazing cars, and the c7 even more so. Here is my C6 GS on the dyno.... it's orgasmic. Stock mufflers, with long tubes and cats still in place.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The thing about the C7 is if you are tall you're going to have trouble getting a helmet on. It's tight in my C5, but the C7 is even tighter.

I drove a couple C7s with the lexan roof panel. My understanding is that version of the car gives more head room than the cars with the available body color roof because there's no head liner on the lexan panel. The roof was still too low. I've heard those removable roof panels tend to click and rattle as time goes on. I wish they offered the car without them. I would have more peace of mind - especially on track - with a solid roof. I understand rollovers on track are uncommon, but still.

I also felt a little like I was playing a video game. Too many electronics for me. Somewhat fun to play with, but overkill on a car that's supposed to be light and sporty.

Seats are really good in the C7. The engine and transmission as well.

Definitely a very capable and fast vehicle.

Sponsored

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
My 2010 and my 2012 never rattled, but I have heard about people complaining about them. The roll over is not an issue, since the targa bar is what protects in a roll over. I'm 6'2" and I fit into a C6 and C7 with a helmet perfect. Not so in a Camaro. I would say the C7 had about as much roof as my Mustang does.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
If I didn't need a back seat for the little one, I would be back in a Corvette. They are amazing cars, and the c7 even more so. Here is my C6 GS on the dyno.... it's orgasmic. Stock mufflers, with long tubes and cats still in place.
Sorry, this sounds nowhere near as good as my GT350R.
I had a C6Z06, and compared to the Voodoo, it lacks soul.

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Sorry, this sounds nowhere near as good as my GT350R.
I had a C6Z06, and compared to the Voodoo, it lacks soul.
If soul is measured in NVH, then yes it does. The ls7 is a gem no matter how you look at it, but to each their own. C7 is a different beast. I do prefer the sound of CPC compared to Ford FPC though, and I love the small block Chevy sound.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
If soul is measured in NVH, then yes it does. The ls7 is a gem no matter how you look at it, but to each their own. C7 is a different beast. I do prefer the sound of CPC compared to Ford FPC though, and I love the small block Chevy sound.
You’ve CLEARLY never driven a Voodoo to redline.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
My 2010 and my 2012 never rattled, but I have heard about people complaining about them. The roll over is not an issue, since the targa bar is what protects in a roll over. I'm 6'2" and I fit into a C6 and C7 with a helmet perfect. Not so in a Camaro. I would say the C7 had about as much roof as my Mustang does.
If the detachable roof comes loose in a roll over, how will the targa bar protect you from the roof panel? If the roof is one piece it's less likely to come apart and leave your head dragging on the ground. I visualize that detachable roof in an accident coming loose and various things that I don't want to happen seem possible or even likely in that situation. It's one thing if the roof panel is 6+ inches from my head, but when I sit in a C7 that panel is super close to my head - maybe 1-2 inches away?

From what I've read the LS7 is more of a ticking time bomb than a gem. I considered a C6 Z06, but after reading about the LS7 I decided that car is not for me. If I had an engine warranty I would consider owning one, but I would be pretty nervous owning one out of warranty.

The Voodoo is pure joy to listen to. I do like the sound of my LS6, but it seems more like a truck engine than something for a sports car. It's good as long as the car is sufficiently light, but it doesn't make very much power for how large in displacement it is.
Sponsored