Sponsored

Seriously, How many tick/rattle engines in the last 2 months?

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Personally, I don't give a shit if it makes a tiny bit of noise. It's not embarrassing, and it's not damaging anything. As long as it still goes like hell, it'll keep a smile on my face
While I am not embarrassed by it, I think Ford engineering should be embarrassed. They spend millions on things like chassis NVH, exhaust note, engine vibration, and cockpit isolation, yet when it comes to one of the key noise makers in the vehicle, they drop the ball. They even pipe the engine sound into the cockpit, so you know a ticking and rattling engine was not their intention. Whatever the cause, it must be difficult or expensive to implement. Otherwise it would have been fixed right away. Just the opinion of another automotive engineer.
Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I'll check it out this weekend, thanks!
Very interested to see if this corrects it. I hate the rattle. I would love to eliminate it. Could be a simple fix by modifying the assembly.
The tick is meh. So quiet you barely notice it.

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 shelby-gt 14 camaro SS 1LE
just placed an order for a 19 GT Premium and the dealer said they have a lifetime powertrain warranty. The terms of the warranty are "all internal lubricated parts, timing belt, pulleys and cover; oil pump; water pump; manifolds; harmonic balancer; engine mounts; turbocharger housing. Cases, housings, engine block and cylinder heads are only covered if damaged by the failure of an internal lubricated part. Does not include any part other than what is supplied in long block assembly". Would the tick if it is piston slap be covered?
YES if it were a problem BUT FORD SAY THIS IS A NEW FEATURE ON 18-19 Coyotes !!!

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
While I am not embarrassed by it, I think Ford engineering should be embarrassed. They spend millions on things like chassis NVH, exhaust note, engine vibration, and cockpit isolation, yet when it comes to one of the key noise makers in the vehicle, they drop the ball. They even pipe the engine sound into the cockpit, so you know a ticking and rattling engine was not their intention. Whatever the cause, it must be difficult or expensive to implement. Otherwise it would have been fixed right away. Just the opinion of another automotive engineer.
I get that, but knowing how the auto industry works, I could see it being something like:
Engineers - "Hey, so we have this awesome high strung N/A V8, but we sound that it makes this weird noise that we need some extra funding to correct"
Bean counters - "Well, is it hurting anything?"
Engineers - "Well no, but..."
Bean counters - "Cool, just put in some sound deadening and throw out a TSB for it and it'll be fine"

BUT FORD SAY THIS IS A NEW FEATURE ON 18-19 Coyotes !!!
Actually, they say it's a standard feature on all Mustangs 2011 and up

Konablue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1/401A 6MT
Very interested to see if this corrects it. I hate the rattle. I would love to eliminate it. Could be a simple fix by modifying the assembly.
The tick is meh. So quiet you barely notice it.
I feel the same way. I really don't care about the tick as it's decently quiet and you never really hear it while your driving since you are under load and can't hear it. Only time I hear it is when I park and about to shut it off so It doesn't bother me. The rattle though is pretty annoying especially since when I only drive for small periods of time at relatively low speeds so most of the time I drive my car I get to listen to it rattle. I imagine eventually either there will be a fix or some sort of TSB that will identify the noise and someone will develop a fix from there.

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
My tick is actually more noticeable than my rattle, but I definitely have both. Checked last night to confirm since I had the car out for a bath anyways. I just gave it a good jab of the throttle after listening for them and all my worries went away

Konablue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
My tick is actually more noticeable than my rattle, but I definitely have both. Checked last night to confirm since I had the car out for a bath anyways. I just gave it a good jab of the throttle after listening for them and all my worries went away
Lucky for you! My rattle really isn't very loud and I think it has actually gotten quieter with miles (I now have about 1600 miles). IDK the sound just annoys me. Although I would happily increase my tick volume to decrease my rattle volume any day!

NIXPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
Lucky for you! My rattle really isn't very loud and I think it has actually gotten quieter with miles (I now have about 1600 miles). IDK the sound just annoys me. Although I would happily increase my tick volume to decrease my rattle volume any day!
I'm with you, if take the tick back to get rid of the rattle. The tick was just a strange sound to me that has never returned since I added ceratec. The rattle is unbearable. No way I can or will deal with the sound much longer, which would be a damn shame because I absolutely love my car otherwise.

Konablue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
I'm with you, if take the tick back to get rid of the rattle. The tick was just a strange sound to me that has never returned since I added ceratec. The rattle is unbearable. No way I can or will deal with the sound much longer, which would be a damn shame because I absolutely love my car otherwise.
Luckily for me it's not really unbearable just an annoyance that abruptly ends when I do a low gear pull and remember why I bought the car. Although I'm confident that eventually we will receive either a warranty fix or some sort of TSB that will identify the cause of the sound so we can fix it ourselves. Since ceratec can't fix it it's definitely something outside of the engine so that's at least good to know. Unfortunately the manual cars we will hear the rattle more likely due to our differing shift strategy from the 10R80. I'm really curious if its the trans spacer plate like the TSB for the F150 claimed it was the cause of the rattle on the F150's.

Sponsored

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
It's interesting what you can hear inside of an engine with a stethoscope. But I wouldn't sit under the hood and listen while the car is running down the road. Someone around here ought to take a remote microphone hooked up to some sort of recording device and place it at different positions around the engine. At least we could narrow it down to a particular area.

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
What do you plan on doing to overcome the rattle ???

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
I have read every post to date. WHAT IF ANYTHING IS FORD GOING TO DO TO ALLEVIATE THIS PROBLEM WITH POPULAR VEHICLES COSTING $40,000.00 DOLLARS OR MORE? And you say?

NIXPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
I'll check it out this weekend, thanks![/Q
I'm on my second engine, had a long block replacement due to piston slap, scoring in the cylinders. It had the tick, it was cured (at least the sound) by ceratec. It also had the rattle, the slap started loud at 2k to 3k. Was the rattle part of the piston issue? I really don't think so, they just happened to occupy the same rpm range. Now the new engine has no tick, but it rattles worse than I ever noticed with the previous engine. It starts at 2k, which seems to be the norm, but carries all the way up into 4k range sometimes. I really think it's something with the manifold runner or cam phasers. Either way, those of you that are of the opinion that people are overreacting or that it's acceptable for a new car to sound like it's knocking and chattering are crazy. Seriously. It's not acceptable,I don't give a shit if it's damaging or not, it's embarrassing and Ford should be embarrassed. Mines going back in Tuesday so that I can have my current sounds documented, and also to have the flywheel/throw out bearing and driveshaft inspected because of all the low speed noise and popping at idle that goes away when I load the drivetrain by slightly releasing the clutch while stopped.
Following this up, dropped the car off yesterday to let them check out my various noises. Got a text from the service manager that said, "Bad news, replaced the driveshaft and still making noise. Good news, getting you a new transmission." So now a new long block a few months ago followed by a new tranny. So I got that going for me, which is nice:crackup:.
Sponsored