Sponsored

All right help on badges and emblem

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
So many Mustangs change their badges, and this is my first Mustang someone enlighten me.

On the back panel I see the GT, a pony and sometimes a pony on a rectangle.

I'm guessing the GT is a GT with a Coyote 5.0. The Pony in the 2018 brochure is an Ecoboost.

But what other things an I seeing on the street? Did Coyotes ever come with a pony? I've also seen cars with nothing, I'm guessing that's a mod.

Do people add a GT to cars that didn't come with a Coyote?

I'm really not judging types of engines or people's style, just want to know what came stock and what did the different emblems mean. Maybe somebody can point me to a master list?
Sponsored

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium+ Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
So many Mustangs change their badges, and this is my first Mustang someone enlighten me.

On the back panel I see the GT, a pony and sometimes a pony on a rectangle.

I'm guessing the GT is a GT with a Coyote 5.0. The Pony in the 2018 brochure is an Ecoboost.

But what other things an I seeing on the street? Did Coyotes ever come with a pony? I've also seen cars with nothing, I'm guessing that's a mod.

Do people add a GT to cars that didn't come with a Coyote?

I'm really not judging types of engines or people's style, just want to know what came stock and what did the different emblems mean. Maybe somebody can point me to a master list?
The pony with the vertical bar is the V6. No badge on trunk decklid is a replacement blank decklid.

suitedanimal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang ecoboost
For the 2018-on model year if it says GT than it's the 5.0 (unless its someone pretending to be something they're not), if you see a pony it's the ecoboost.
If you see the bullitt logo it's well, a bullitt
For the 2015-17 years the GT again means the 5.0
The pony by itself means the ecoboost
The pony with the tri-bar rectangle is the v6

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium+ Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
You will also see various other aftermarket emblems that people have elected to replace the OEM emblem, i.e. I removed my running pony (EcoBoost) and replaced it with an EB emblem.

suitedanimal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang ecoboost
You will also see various other aftermarket emblems that people have elected to replace the OEM emblem, i.e. I removed my running pony (EcoBoost) and replaced it with an EB emblem.
True you might see the RTR or roush badges too

Sponsored

Moosetang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1
The offset tri-bar with pony on the grill shows up on the GT California Special. The rear of the GT/CS has a GT badge but it is on a raised circular base. The one shown below is a 2019 but I believe previous versions still had the 5.0 on the side. Probably not as common as most others mentioned but it is yet another factory variation with unique badging.

Ford-Mustang_GT_California_Special-2019-ig.jpg

Boss Bandit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT (Lightning Blue), 1998 Camaro SS
2015-present EcoBoost (Base, Premium, or PP): Chrome pony with no tribar or faux gascap on a flat, gloss black panel (2015-17); panel will have additional character lines flanking the emblem on 2018-present. Note: Models exported outside of North America have this emblem on a black and chrome faux gascap.

2016-present EcoBoost with Pony Appearance Package: Colored tribar pony, no faux gascap on a flat, gloss black panel (2015-17); panel will have additional character lines flanking the emblem on 2018-present.

2015-2017 Mustang V6: All chrome tribar pony, no faux gascap on a flat, gloss black decklid panel.

2015-only 50th Anniversary Appearance Package: Chrome "GT" on black and chrome faux gascap with "50 Years" spelled out beneath GT in chrome, on a flat, gloss black decklid panel. Appeared on both the 1,964 Limited Edition Anniversary Editions as well as part of the optional Anniversary Appearance Package on GTs.

2015-present GT 5.0: "GT" emblem, in either chrome or black, depending on whether it was equipped with the 2016 and up Black Accent Package on a flat, gloss black panel (2015-17); panel will have additional character lines flanking the emblem on 2018-present. Note: Models exported outside of North America have this emblem on a black and chrome faux gascap.

2016-17 California Special (GT/CS): Chrome "GT" on a black and chrome faux gascap, with "California Special" written around the GT in silver on a flat, gloss black decklid panel.

2019-Present California Special: Chrome "GT" on a black and chrome faux gascap, on gloss black decklid panel with character lines. Will also have "California Special" in red script on the lower righthand side of the panel.

2019-2020 Bullitt: Bullitt "crosshair" logo on a black and chrome faux gascap on gloss black decklid panel with character lines.

2020 EcoBoost High Performance Package: Full color tribar pony on a black and chrome faux gascap on a gloss black decklid panel with character lines.

2015-present GT350: Small silver and black rectangular badge with current iteration of the coiled cobra emblem with italicized "GT350" spelled out beneath the cobra, on a flat, gloss black decklid panel.

2015-present GT350R: Small red and black rectangular badge with current iteration of the coiled cobra emblem with italicized "GT350" spelled out beneath the cobra, on a flat, gloss black decklid panel.

2020-? GT500: Very large current iteration of the coiled cobra in silver without a rectangular frame, on a gloss black decklid panel with character lines.

I believe that covers all of the Ford factory variations. Offerings from Steeda, Roush, Shelby America, Saleen, etc should be self explanatory.

Boss Bandit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And to answer your question, people do swap emblems all the time. For example, my car came with the Black Accent package, which includes a black pony centered on the honeycomb front grille, black "5.0" fender badges with a red ".", and a black "GT" on the rear decklid.

I swapped the black GT decklid for a GT 50 Years decklid because I like the faux gascap. When the High Performance Package becomes available I'll likely buy one of those decklids, paint the circular disc surrounding the colored tribar pony within the faux gascap silver, and mount it on the flat, gloss black decklid. I'm going for a retro theme, and this would suit me perfectly.

Bottom line is most people consider these cars to be blank canvases, so you'll see all kinds of emblem swaps or deletes.

suitedanimal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang ecoboost
In addition to the badging there are a few subtle ways to tell what trim a car is (again with the stipulation that people can swap parts to other trims)
For 2015-2017
If the grille has two diagonal lines that create corner "pockets" it is a GT
Also if the hood has hood vents it will be a GT
I don't believe that the v6 or ecoboost have either of those stock
For 2018-on I think both trims have these however

Sponsored
OP
OP
smoke_wagon_6g

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
All good info. Now I have a much better understanding.

I saw a 5g(?) with GT/CS graphics over here, guy said it meant "Carroll Shelby."

Guess it was really "California Special." But according to Wikipedia the California Special was inspired by The Shelby GT 500 and included Shelby built parts so maybe the confusion was always intentional.

Interesting that Carroll Shelby's initials also could stand for Sports Car.

Boss Bandit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All good info. Now I have a much better understanding.

I saw a 5g(?) with GT/CS graphics over here, guy said it meant "Carroll Shelby."

Guess it was really "California Special." But according to Wikipedia the California Special was inspired by The Shelby GT 500 and included Shelby built parts so maybe the confusion was always intentional.

Interesting that Carroll Shelby's initials also could stand for Sports Car.
Well, there was a very limited Shelby American trim available for later S197s called the GT/SC. In that case, the "SC" stood for "supercharged". It was basically a Shelby GT with a supercharger. They'd have "GT/SC" on the rocker stripe, just behind the front wheel. They're post-title cars, which means you'd take your car to Shelby American and they'd convert it to their specs depending on what package you ordered. These are not very common.

To add to the confusion, at the same time Ford was producing the GT/CS, They would actually say "GT/CS" on the tape stripe, which would fade the closer to got to the rear wheel opening. These are far more common.

And to make it even more confusing, you could take your GT/CS to Shelby and opt for the GT/SC package. May as well flip a coin to see which alphas end up after the "/"!

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
The tri-bar offset on the driver side is traditionally indicative of a Special Edition. It has been traditional usage for over fifty years.

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
The tri-bar logo also comes on the 18-19 Ecoboost Pony Package.

530C8610-E37D-44AB-84F7-94D390A3F5A7.jpeg
Yes, it does. I saw one at the local dealer yesterday. The only constant is there is no constant. :crazy:

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
For the 2018-on model year if it says GT than it's the 5.0 (unless its someone pretending to be something they're not), if you see a pony it's the ecoboost.
If you see the bullitt logo it's well, a bullitt
For the 2015-17 years the GT again means the 5.0
The pony by itself means the ecoboost
The pony with the tri-bar rectangle is the v6
Unless its 2003-2004 then it could be a Mach1 lol
Sponsored