E85 Tune Thoughts/Options

nate-roth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
This is where I live as well. If you don't mind me asking, have you tested/logged Valero E85 and who's tune are you running? Valero are the 4 close stations that offer E. Thanks a lot!
I've only run Valero E85 from out off 1604 west by Schoenfeld Road, I did not test it but it seemed fine. It may kind of sound dumb but Ive been running E85 so long on different cars that I can rub a little bit on my fingers after filling up and tell by the smell if it's closer to 85 or closer to 70 that some stations have more often, especially in winter months. The 85 smells distinctly like alcohol with a very faint gasoline scent and evaporates from your fingers and does not leave any residue. Closer to 70 distinctly smells more like gasoline. Like I said, may sound hokie but it's been a pretty accurate tell tale when you actually test the fuel for ethanol content.

I always get very high quality E85 from the HEB at 35 and 3009 up towards Schertz and have also have gotten good E85 consistently from Fishers Market fuel on 46, also North side.
Sponsored

OP
OP

cyberwired

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Kona Blue 401A, A10, Performance Pack
I've only run Valero E85 from out off 1604 west by Schoenfeld Road, I did not test it but it seemed fine. It may kind of sound dumb but Ive been running E85 so long on different cars that I can rub a little bit on my fingers after filling up and tell by the smell if it's closer to 85 or closer to 70 that some stations have more often, especially in winter months. The 85 smells distinctly like alcohol with a very faint gasoline scent and evaporates from your fingers and does not leave any residue. Closer to 70 distinctly smells more like gasoline. Like I said, may sound hokie but it's been a pretty accurate tell tale when you actually test the fuel for ethanol content.

I always get very high quality E85 from the HEB at 35 and 3009 up towards Schertz and have also have gotten good E85 consistently from Fishers Market fuel on 46, also North side.
Thank you so much for the heads up!

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
I'd go with a flex / e85 from Lund, the tune was spot on after logging. I was very surprised .. the first tune I got on my 18 was from PBD and honestly it was like one bad tank of gas away from some bad stuff happening on their 93 tune. Went with Lund this time for 85 and they did a great job.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
What kind of performance bennifits could you expect with an E85 tune with 100% E85 in the tank VS. a flex tune with 100% E85 in the tank. Sorry if this is a dumb Q.
The E85R is a bit more polished overall IMO.. They are both great, but overall feel, the E85 has more power down low, I wouldn't call it night and day difference from flex, but noticeable.

OP
OP

cyberwired

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
I'd go with a flex / e85 from Lund, the tune was spot on after logging. I was very surprised .. the first tune I got on my 18 was from PBD and honestly it was like one bad tank of gas away from some bad stuff happening on their 93 tune. Went with Lund this time for 85 and they did a great job.
Thanks a lot, I appreciate the review/advice!

Sponsored

GreesyStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
I'm so on the fence about this too. I hate fiddling with the tunes because sometimes it loads right up and sometimes it wants to wait and be a bitch. I have AED 93 on it now and it seems pretty tight overall. I'm putting the CJ on any minute and can't decide which to do. I do really like the idea of running corn, but even in DFW those stations aren't everywhere. I do like taking the mustang on road trips and that shit gets scarce then. I've talked to AED, PBD and Lund. That shit can get expensive fast.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Run straight e85 tuned where you are at. No reason to fiddle with flex or 93.

Except commercial "E85" from the pump can be as low as E50 depending on the season and location.

OP
OP

cyberwired

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Except commercial "E85" from the pump can be as low as E50 depending on the season and location.
Interestingly, at my local Valero stations, the pumps are labeled E85 with literally no verbiage at all about minimum percentages of alcohol or anything like that. There is nothing to note about lesser percentages or any kind of seasonal blends or lesser mixes. Not sure if it's just them or everyone else in the area also.

OP
OP

cyberwired

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
I'm so on the fence about this too. I hate fiddling with the tunes because sometimes it loads right up and sometimes it wants to wait and be a bitch. I have AED 93 on it now and it seems pretty tight overall. I'm putting the CJ on any minute and can't decide which to do. I do really like the idea of running corn, but even in DFW those stations aren't everywhere. I do like taking the mustang on road trips and that shit gets scarce then. I've talked to AED, PBD and Lund. That shit can get expensive fast.
So, I’ll share my experience so far.

I decided to get the Lund tune, opted for the flex/E85r option and got an nGauge with it.

The process couldn’t have been easier; I received the device and the next business day after the nGauge arrived I got an email from the tuner, Alex, with the 2 tunes: flex and E85r. I loaded the flex tune, drove a while on the same 93 shell gas, and started reading about some other forum members having issues both with E85 and/or with their E85 cars that made me chicken out a bit, and question my decision to go with a tune and especially corn. However, I sacked up and pushed forward, switched over to E85 at a local Valero and ran some logs on the flex. Then loaded the E85r tune with the same fuel from the same station. I can confirm what others have said: there is a notable difference between the flex tune, which is great, don’t get me wrong, and the full E85r tune. The car really feels more powerful in the midrange, with more oomph when not above 5000 rpm or wide open throttle. In fact, while running logs, I took my son for a ride on a local highway and did some WOT pulls with the E85r tune and he smiled broadly and was surprised at the difference. Sent my logs to Alex, they look good and don’t even need any revisions! Granted, my only mod is the tune, otherwise bone stock, but still, that’s pretty impressive.

My takeaway: Lund and Alex did a great job, nailed it out of the box, and I am really happy. The car runs wonderful and feels so much fun to drive. And, I’ve asked questions to Alex and never have been blown off or felt like I wasn’t important – he answered everything right away and has great advice.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Regardless of what the pump signage says, I think getting an inexpensive tester and testing a sample makes sense if you are going to run a dedicated E85 tune. I run flex due to the variation of E content in my area.

Sponsored
OP
OP

cyberwired

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Regardless of what the pump signage says, I think getting an inexpensive tester and testing a sample makes sense if you are going to run a dedicated E85 tune. I run flex due to the variation of E content in my area.
Agree completely. I got a tester after conferring with my tuner, at his recommendation. I used the flex tune first, noted the Alcohol Percent, then loaded the E85r tune with the same fuel, from the same pump at the same station.
One question though: how often do you think I should check it with the tester kit- the same pump/station?

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I was considering adding a true alch sensor, but I haven't looked much into it.

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
I was considering adding a true alch sensor, but I haven't looked much into it.
I added one not long ago, I posted a write up on it. Search "(Install with Pics) Bluetooth Ethanol Sensor" in this forum. I'm very happy with and it works just as you'd expect.

Sighlense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT/PP
Lund Flex and E85 race tune and don't look back. Seriously....
Sponsored