Sponsored

I live in NOLA and have to replace my windshield every time I sneeze (5th one)

thasuperdude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Don't forget this is a sports car and they have to shave weight somewhere. Subaru and BMW use lighter glass on their high-end performance cars, making them more susceptible to spidering when chipped. It's a trade-off to lower the center of gravity on the cars. They all have to pass the same safety standards, so requesting the base model glass with some cars might help. Not sure if all models of the Mustang use the same glass, but I'd bet the GT350 use lighter glass.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
DO NOT use Safelite, Absolute trash workmanship.

They scrapped the paint all around the windshield on my 16 and used black paint to cover it. The windshield sealant was applied horribly and poked from behind the windshield. This wasn't one occurrence, I experienced this three times.
IMG_0796.JPG

FYI:
The “black paint” isn’t paint at all. All the Glass Repair Co’s have to use a black primer coat which has to be applied to the metal surface before the butyl or silicone is applied. If they don’t apply the sealant, there is risk of rusting if there was any metal exposed during the removal of the old glass. Some Glass Installers are just more careful with the application of the sleazy than others...

And yes, I’ll agree, they slopped on the sealant when your vehicle was repaired.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
I'm going to knock on wood, but in my nearly 30 years on the road, I've only had one rock chip repaired on any of my vehicles. Never had a windshield, or any glass for that matter replaced on any of my cars.

On the way home today, I'll probably get a crack in my windshield and curse this thread.

thasuperdude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Funny, my parents have never repaired a window, either. I guess I'm making up for all the windscreens they never broke. I think I've replaced about 4 in the last 15 years.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I've had bad experience with safelite glass optical quality on another car. It was full of distortions and gave me headaches.

Never again will I let the insurance company of safelite rep talk me out of OEM.

Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Sounds like Ford or whoever is making these windshields isn't annealing them properly or something could be going awry with the tempering process. If you don't anneal it properly it will have a lot of residual internal stress/pressure within the glass causing chips and cracks to occour much more easily.

Plus bean-counters control every aspect of manufacturing these days so they could just be garbage trying to save 10c per windshield.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Safelite manufactures their own glass and their quality standards are inferior to ford or anyone else. I've seen waviness in their glass due to variations in thickness. Their installers are vastly under qualified, I wouldn't let those hacks replace the window on my grand daughters power wheels. Also most insurance companies have a deal worked out with safelite to steer you in their direction. When you call to make a claim for a new windshield, they say they are transferring you to the right dept, but in reality you get put on the line with a safelite rep who's entire job is to get you to agree to a safelite windshield.

Google safelite complaints and see for yourself.
I've used the multiple times with no problems at all. I am also noticing that many OEM copmanies seem to be using thinner glass as I have seen Nissans, Fords, GM's and other brands all seem to be getting windshield cracks more often.

Javaman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem, Velocity Blue, AT, PP1, MR, B&O, Actv Exh
Here in New Mexico, I've gone through a number of windshields on all my vehicles (they don't call it the Rocky Mountains for nothing). After the first few, I lowered my deductible on comprehensive coverage to $100, not a huge price difference, and I go to a glass shop that will pay my deductible (typically if it's $100 or less),

Also, I got the 3M Clear Bra (paint protection film) on the full front end (up to the hood vents), headlamps and mirror cowlings on my 2019 Velocity Blue GT. Practically invisible, 10-yr warranty, and so far so good.

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
FYI:
The “black paint” isn’t paint at all. All the Glass Repair Co’s have to use a black primer coat which has to be applied to the metal surface before the butyl or silicone is applied. If they don’t apply the sealant, there is risk of rusting if there was any metal exposed during the removal of the old glass. Some Glass Installers are just more careful with the application of the sleazy than others...

And yes, I’ll agree, they slopped on the sealant when your vehicle was repaired.
I only quote what the tech told me. He explained that their procedure when they chip paint with the sealant scraper is to cover it with black paint (primer). My white S550 looked horrible after 4 windshield replacements due to Safelite.
Sponsored