Sponsored

N(VH) increase - 305 tires vs susp mods

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Hi folks, looking for some informed opinion about the cause of a road noise increase. About 3000 miles ago I changed rear tires from stock to 305 (PZero) and about the same time installed Steeda RLCAs and rear shock mounts, and FRPP knuckle bearings. Steeda claim no NVH increase from the the RLCA bearings but from what I'm reading here some people feel the RLCA bearing does increase NVH.

Either way the noise is quite intrusive on coarse tarmac surfaces although it remains quiet on smooth surfaces, the increase is a no brainer but the difference is huge. I would expect increased noise from wider tires and at least some of the the suspension mods as the latter replaces bushes with bearings, but I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who's maybe just fitted wider tires or the susp mods and can comment on the noise change.

Car is a DD and I'm thinking of taking out the RLCAs but there's no point if it's the tires.

Cheers and TIA
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
If you changed to the same tire, just wider, it's not the tire (unless it is an XL rated vs SL rated on the stock ones).

Every set of bearings I've added increases noise. Not so much general road noise, but noise from bumps and ruts is louder. I expect the same from the RLCA bearings. It is a relatively serious modification for those who favor handling and precision and don't mind the tradeoffs for NVH.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Pzeros should be quite quiet, unlike SC2, R888R, or RE71R. Just changing the width won't add much road noise, though I am guessing you will add a small amount going from 40 to 30.

moarhorsepower

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
There is night and day difference between my stock 235/50's and my MPSS 305/35's. The wider tires sound like wooden barrels rolling down the road even with the above mentioned insulation in the trunk.

Sponsored

moarhorsepower

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
There is night and day difference between my stock 235/50's and my MPSS 305/35's. The wider tires sound like wooden barrels rolling down the road even with the above mentioned insulation in the trunk.
It's funny...supposedly the Michelins (PSS and PS4S) are supposed to be the quieter of the tires in the same class/performance range. Don't get me wrong they aren't the quietest but it was liveable to me. Adding the noise insulation just helped tone it down a bit further.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Wait until you hear a road-legal track tire.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I've had them before, but the cars were generally stripped out so it didn't matter. I wasn't trying to drive them an hour to work listening to the radio.
I have just decided to turn the stereo up to fix the issue. LoL

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Thanks everyone for the more, er...technical replies. I tried two hookers but they couldn't stand the road noise :blush:. Anyhow...

Add some of this to your trunk. Makes a big difference in road noise (even quieted down the differential lockouts that are currently on my car). Don't need a ton, just the spare tire wheel well and surrounding bare metal.
Thanks for the suggestion, I've actually used Dynamat and it's taken the edge off the roar but it's still intrusive on some surfaces. Also have some noise blocking blanket on the floor of the trunk which helped but again it's not great.

Very interesting, that's exactly what mine sounds like. Do you have any added susp bearings?

moarhorsepower

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Thanks everyone for the more, er...technical replies. I tried two hookers but they couldn't stand the road noise :blush:. Anyhow...
Were they dead hookers? Because then they wouldn't complain... :cwl:
Sponsored