Sponsored

Seriously, How many tick/rattle engines in the last 2 months?

eighty6gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt
What about trying GT350 oil in the regular old 5.0, if thicker oil fixes it? And forget what Ford says to run. Of course they would not mention running heavier oil - it runs counter to their CAFE math or .. whatever reason they have for spec'ing 5w20. I run a mix of 5w20 cheap ass mobil and the ford 5w50.

My 4.6 is running 5.0 coyote rods (stronger.) I measured rod side clearances, off the high side of the spec. My piston to bore, off the high side of the spec, stock pistons, stock bores.

NO NOISES.
Sponsored

Konablue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1/401A 6MT
My car very rarely ticks when cold it only ticks after It warms up after I've ran it around a bit. Personally I'm more interested in what the 2k RPM rattling noise is as it is the noise I hear the most often and in my opinion the sound definitely sounds more concerning than the tick does. I'm not really sold that it is the HPFP since outside temp/engine temp affects it and even weirdly enough it having rained outside prior lessens the rattle. I'm more subscribed it's either some resonance in the driveline or something to do with the trans spacer plate like it supposedly was on the F150's. I've been reading these forums for the past few months and have went fully through all the huge threads regarding the tick/2k rattle. Just waiting on some acknowledgement or TSB regarding the rattle then I'm going to slap on all the mods that I would really like to do right now. Hoping it's something that can be easily fixed or replaced as the rattling is kind of annoying.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Ford grinds crankshafts and bores blocks to fit main bearings with a tolerance of +/- 0.0004", rod bearings are sized to +/- 0.0008". How likely is it that Ford can make numerous rods and crankshafts with these tolerances but then makes many rods that are 0.020" out of spec for side spacing?
How do you explain a couple of guys on this board reporting that the Ford tech measured rod side clearances that were twice the factory max spec when they tore the engines down after a ticking complaint (this was before SSM 7718)? You're talking about crank journals and rod big end bearings diameters .. but what about the rod big end width and the crank journal width specs and how accurately those are manufactured to. If those are not made to pretty precise dimensions it would be easy to get assembled clearances out of spec.

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What about trying GT350 oil in the regular old 5.0, if thicker oil fixes it? And forget what Ford says to run. Of course they would not mention running heavier oil - it runs counter to their CAFE math or .. whatever reason they have for spec'ing 5w20. I run a mix of 5w20 cheap ass mobil and the ford 5w50.

My 4.6 is running 5.0 coyote rods (stronger.) I measured rod side clearances, off the high side of the spec. My piston to bore, off the high side of the spec, stock pistons, stock bores.

NO NOISES.
I think a few guys here with the Coyote have ran 5W-50 and it did fix or substantially reduced the ticking with some of them. If the GT350 guys ran 5W-20 it's possible more would exhibit the typewriter tick.

Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
How do you explain a couple of guys on this board reporting that the Ford tech measured rod side clearances that were twice the factory max spec? You're talking about crank journals and rod big end bearings diameters .. but what about the rod big end width and the crank journal width specs and how accurately those are manufactured to. If those are not made to pretty precise dimensions it would be easy to get assembled clearances out of spec.
I saw one photo of excess clearance, that is enough proof that the problem does exist but how common is it? It still seems highly unlikely that of all the tolerances for a rod and crank these would be so badly out of spec. If Ford's rod making machine can hold +/- less than 0.001" it should be easy to hold 0.020".
Do we know if the rods or the crank (or both) was out of spec?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I saw one photo of excess clearance, that is enough proof that the problem does exist but how common is it? It still seems highly unlikely that of all the tolerances for a rod and crank these would be so badly out of spec. If Ford's rod making machine can hold +/- less than 0.001" it should be easy to hold 0.020".
Do we know if the rods or the crank (or both) was out of spec?
I would suspect that there are many machines putting out rods and crankshafts. They probably make multi hundreds of engines a day to keep up with Mustang production. Multiply that by 8 for the required production of connecting rods. Not every machine is going to make every part exactly the same. I'd suspect machining tolerance issues with the crankshaft manufacturing before the rod manufacturing. The factory service manual does not specify what the dimension of the crank journal width should be.

I'd be interested in knowing if Ford tries to match up a pair of rod widths to a knows crank journal width, or do they just put any pair of rods on any crankshaft journal? And do they actually measure the assembled rod side clearance on every pair of rods? If some Coyotes with only a few thousand miles on them were found to have rod side clearance twice the max factory spec, then something is going on during manufacturing of the bottom end.

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The 2018/19s are basically grenademobiles.
Yes they are,the folks that bought into all that NEW & IMPROVED hype just don't want to admit,that the NEW Coyote engine is a manufacturing mess,glad I am not one of them.Imagine the resale value, after all the headache of owner ship and down time,buy backs and lemon law BS.

Konablue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1/401A 6MT
Yes they are,the folks that bought into all that NEW & IMPROVED hype just don't want to admit,that the NEW Coyote engine is a manufacturing mess,glad I am not one of them.Imagine the resale value, after all the headache of owner ship and down time,buy backs and lemon law BS.
It's only a headache for those overreacting and thinking their new car is going to blow up because it makes some questionable sounds. For the rest of us that just drive the car and are curious as to what/why the noises are and are not running back and forth to dealers when there's nothing actually wrong with the car. Personally I could care less about the tick as it doesn't really bother me. I just don't care for the 2k RPM rattle as it kind of annoys me. I wont argue that the tick/rattle can sound pretty bad but if it's not affecting anything then I'll just live with it and put on a louder exhaust.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I'm happy to drive my Detroit bargain and really happy that I did not buy a vehicle from Stuttgart or Munich, our want-to-be rulers by the back door.
Hey now. Many of the components that keep you car running came from a Stuttgart owned company. I don't think that city wants to rule anyone. After living there, I see it more like a European Detroit (before Detroit became a rotting shit-pile).

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Still waiting for you to fill us in with what all these "massive problems" are...
I have a massive problem, and Ford is mostly to blame. When I run E85, I have zero traction in 1st gear.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
LOL I have some aluminuim foil for you if you need some more....LOL

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I am about ready to sue Ford. Every time I drive the damn car, I get a big goofy smile on my face. I am afraid it will cause premature wrinkles around my mouth. Cars this much fun should not be allowed!

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
What oil did you use? Not all oils have the same additives, so some of the quieting might be from the oil formulation. It certainly can't be less cavitation, as the study shows higher viscosity oils are more prone to cavitation inside journal bearings.
I always used Mobil 1 5W20. Believe it or not Super Tech Full Synthetic SAE 5W30 purchased at Walmart. Read both containers of what was listed in the contents and yes they are the same except for the name. But wait there's more the Walmart Brand is exactly half the price of Mobil 1 and it was not on sale.

As a side note I took a cruise to North Myrtle Beach for some shopping 53 miles one way from my home in Ocean Isle Beach. A total of 106 miles most at 70 miles an hour the engine is still pretty quiet. Go Figure!
Sponsored

Last edited: