Help me identify an oil leak?

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible Premium
We noticed a leak under the car about a week after we changed the oil last, which was about a week after we installed the UPR Catch Can (that goes into the pcv valve)

We originally thought it was the oil drain plug - we replaced that - not because we thought it was leaking; because the as****** at oil change shops used a damn impact gun to put it on; we stripped it (obviously) and had to buy a new one.

It's a slow drip - over night, it's maybe 8-10 drops pooled. One day, I didn't see any new oil

It looks like the leak is coming from this piece circled on the transmission but it's not transmission fluid (it's brown, not red)

When we were installing the catch can, some of those push clips broke; 1 on the pcv value and 1 near the intake. Everything went back on pretty solid

Could oil be getting by those "loose" push clamps on the hoses?

Could this be caused by the catch can and that's just how it is?

What is the piece I circled?

The car drives perfectly fine; no stalling; no hard shifts (no harder then it is anyway) - oil temp is fine; no dash lights;

any ideas?

leak.jpg
Sponsored

DavisCustoms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium
The part you circled is the Bendix (gear) end of your starter.
The foam gasket there is just to keep out dirt, if you have oil leaking there, it means it's pooling inside the bellhousing between the engine and trans and dripping thru the foam gasket
possibly the rear main seal is starting to leak.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Check the following areas:
Valve cover
Front timing cover
Turbo line
The oil sensor (this was an issue with early 2015 and 2016 S550 EB’s).

It’s hard to tell from your pic exactly where the leak is coming from, but it has to be coming from topside down - if it’s not the most obvious locations (oil filter, oil pan or oil drain).

DavisCustoms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium
old school trick....
take some brake cleaner, clean off ALL of the oil, dust on some baby powder in the area (once dry of course) and drive around for a while.
the fresh oil dripping will leave a trail in the baby powder, telling you exactly were the leak is coming from...

note: don't get brake cleaner on any plastics, it WILL stain it.

OP
OP

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible Premium
Check the following areas:
Valve cover
Front timing cover
Turbo line
The oil sensor (this was an issue with early 2015 and 2016 S550 EB’s).

It’s hard to tell from your pic exactly where the leak is coming from, but it has to be coming from topside down - if it’s not the most obvious locations (oil filter, oil pan or oil drain).
It's definitely top down i'm pretty sure
old school trick....
take some brake cleaner, clean off ALL of the oil, dust on some baby powder in the area (once dry of course) and drive around for a while.
the fresh oil dripping will leave a trail in the baby powder, telling you exactly were the leak is coming from...

note: don't get brake cleaner on any plastics, it WILL stain it.

Was hoping someone would chime in with something like this. I still think it's the pcv valve gutted from the upr catch can - or something else we had to take off and put back on when installing that. I checked the catch can about 2 weeks ago and it's for sure doing it's job - had maybe 1/8th full of oil.

I think oil is just getting past the pcv valve cause it's not super tight anymore or something like that.

I'll get some break cleaner; clean everything nicely and use the baby powder. Weather should be nice this weekend so should be able to get it done.

Sponsored

ktodd1989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium Performance Pack / 2016 Ecoboost Premium
It's definitely top down i'm pretty sure

Was hoping someone would chime in with something like this. I still think it's the pcv valve gutted from the upr catch can - or something else we had to take off and put back on when installing that. I checked the catch can about 2 weeks ago and it's for sure doing it's job - had maybe 1/8th full of oil.

I think oil is just getting past the pcv valve cause it's not super tight anymore or something like that.

I'll get some break cleaner; clean everything nicely and use the baby powder. Weather should be nice this weekend so should be able to get it done.
I'm having the same issue with mine and have asked some members in a Facebook Group what is casing this.

Originally I had thought it was the oil sending unit since it looked like it wasn't tighten all the way but now that I tighten it - I feel like the leak got worse. Last night when I checked again there wasn't any oil by the sensor but the leak is obviously still present.

A few of them have also stated that mine could be a rear main seal leak.

To add, I have the radium baffle plate and UPR DVCC.

After doing some research last night on the rear main seal leak - I'm going to see if BlueDevil Rear Main Sealant will help slow or stop the leak for now until I get this fixed or throw in a built motor and I'll report back to let you know if it worked or not.

mh6073

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 1st/2nd prod blend ecboost pp
If that is the bell housing your probably should like on the side of the block near the "headafold" and the head gasket for a leak that is dripping down on to it.Known issue for the head gasket to start to fail around the oil passages. Obviously depending on what side the starter is I can't remember. Thats why I was having an oil leak.
OIL SEEP BLOCK DIRTY.jpg
OIL SEEP.jpg
OIL LEAK SHORT BLOCK  DIRTY.jpg

S140

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
S140
Vehicle(s)
Ford mustang gt 2018 5.0
Hi all currently having a similar oil leak issue, ford dealer is unable to identify the cause of the leak..any suggestions? 2018 GT 5.0, 21,000 miles. Oil seems to be seeping onto the transmission, ford have already replaced the oil pan gasktet. Thanks

83CC888A-9774-44BE-8138-FA18EB20CC6B.jpeg

3848CB18-7B57-4C38-91AD-91BEDB93B07B.jpeg
Sponsored