IncisionInd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Hey All,

Was looking at replacing all of the incandescent bulbs in the car with LEDs from Diode Dynamics. Was disappointed to find that on the 2018+ models they already have LED in the trunk, however it is warm lighting (not my favorite & doesn't match other lights) and it is pretty dim.

I am working on putting together a LED light solution for the trunk, however I just have a couple of questions. Currently I have one connector that branches off to a "Y" connector and each end of that is connected to a LED strip (multiple SMD in 6500k). Each of those strips are going to be adhered to each side of the trunk. Just plugging the bare wires into the harness works and everything lights up, however I would like to make it cleaner and so that the wires can't work their way out.

Does anyone know the type of connector that Ford uses for that trunk light. I have attached a couple of pictures to show what I am talking about, however it appears to be a fairly simple three wire setup, I just need to know the size and type.

Thanks for any help!

LED_1.jpg
LED_2.jpg
Sponsored

MegaMagneticStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Turbo Mustang all Magnetic
holy shit. i was also going to install "Leds" into the trunk on my 18! why would they use that warm light LED?! it looks like an incandescent bulb! wtf.

im wondering why 3 prongs on that thing also. does the other connector (power side) have power on more than 2 prongs? or is the 3rd prong blank maybe...

also, quite odd that they use 2 diodes, so many caps and resistors, and a transistor just to turn an LED on / off... so way overkill, its crazy.

as for the connector, no idea really, but those are basic J-tag prongs... i can prob take my LED out of my trunk and make a connector with sketchup and 3d print it for us...

OP
OP
IncisionInd

IncisionInd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Yeah the light just looks gross. I mean if you are going to make an LED at least make it a cool white light, even if it is going to be dimmer than the aftermarket/euro stuff.

The three prong thing doesn't make any sense to me either. There is another guide that someone made somewhere here on the forums that shows plugging the wires straight into the connector and they only use a power/ground combo. I tried this same thing and it worked, so I'm unsure of what the third prong is for...

Yeah I would have done the same thing, however just took a new job and lost access to my 3D Scanner/Printer. If you can do that please let me know how much and where to send the money.

MegaMagneticStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Turbo Mustang all Magnetic
so i just went and unplugged my trunk LED. there are just 2 wires that are on the car side of the plug, so it is just power and ground.
im working on a Plug now, so ill messaging your directly soon here...

OP
OP
IncisionInd

IncisionInd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Yeah i didn't quite understand why there were three pins, but i just figured that it was Ford overengineering everything again... Excited to see what you come up with!