Sponsored

What harness for tweeters?

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
i will be installing JL tweeters in my 18. They came with female spade connector. I would like to keep the factory harness. Anyone know of there is a Molex harness that I can solder or crimp the new tweeters to that will connect with the factory harness?
Sponsored

Racemaster

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.skspeed.com
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush 2003 Marauder
Mouser part # 31067-1010, #31067-1040...and the pins are 571-1393366-1 and 571-1438299-4.

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay so how exactly to I connect the speaker wire to the pins - does it require soldering? Also, how do the pins connect to the harness?

Racemaster

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.skspeed.com
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush 2003 Marauder
OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It would be best to crimp the pins and touch a dab of solder on them.
The male pins get used on the female plug and the female pins get used on the male plug.
Did you look at the plug on the website?
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/31067-1040?qs=/ha2pyFaduhxdZOTGmaJU8ikGfF6VPuSYIJfXfm7g9g9wadkoTY5aw==

So you would use that and make a short,maybe 6", jumper cable from the plug to whatever end the tweeter takes.
Yea I’m just not sure how/where the pins connect to the plug - do you solder them onto the plug or do the just push in somewhere?

Sponsored

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
Yea I’m just not sure how/where the pins connect to the plug - do you solder them onto the plug or do the just push in somewhere?
The pins snap into place. I ordered plugs from Mauser to make amp and speaker harnesses so have gone through this. Did not do anything for the tweeter though. That was very simple, depending on the size of the connector it is possible to find terminal plugs to mate up.

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So only soldering would be the speaker wire to the pin, correct? I wonder if I could find male spade connector and solder that to the pin? That way I can connect the tweeter female spade to it without having to cut the speaker wire in case I want to return them.

ETA - oh wait, that was dumb. I can just solder a wire to the pin and solder a male spade to the other end of it.

Racemaster

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.skspeed.com
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush 2003 Marauder
What tweeter? Which model
I can say that most aluminum domes are going to bite your head off.They will be harsh and over bearing.
Tweeters with silk domes seem to work well.

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
So only soldering would be the speaker wire to the pin, correct? I wonder if I could find male spade connector and solder that to the pin? That way I can connect the tweeter female spade to it without having to cut the speaker wire in case I want to return them.

ETA - oh wait, that was dumb. I can just solder a wire to the pin and solder a male spade to the other end of it.
Right, only solder needed is wire to pi then insert pin into plug and there will be a locking feature that holds the pin in the plug.

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What tweeter? Which model
I can say that most aluminum domes are going to bite your head off.They will be harsh and over bearing.
Tweeters with silk domes seem to work well.
JL C1-075. I thought they were silk dome, but just checked and they are aluminum. Crap. I bought them because they are 6 OHM, and the factories are 8. Everything else out there seems to be 4 OHM. I’m trying to stay as close to the factory impedance as possible .

ETA - actually it says this - “Utilizing true, edge driven 0.75-inch aluminum domes with silk suspensions, the C1-075ct component tweeters provide smooth, detailed reproduction of treble frequencies from 4 – 24 kHz.”

What the heck is silk suspensions?

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Right, only solder needed is wire to pi then insert pin into plug and there will be a locking feature that holds the pin in the plug.
So I have the pins and the plug. I assume the two pins go on the outer holes of the harness and the middle is unused? I don’t want to have to take my a pillar trim off just to find that out, just hoping you know.

Also, do the pins insert in any certain orientation into the plug to allow them to lock into place? I assume part of the pin should be sticking out the other side of the white connector inside the plug so that it can mate with the factory female plug?

Last edited:

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
So I have the pins and the plug. I assume the two pins go on the outer holes of the harness and the middle bike is unused? I don’t want to have to take by a pillar trim off just to find that out, just hoping you know.

Also, do the pins insert in any certain orientation into the plug to allow them to lock into place? I assume part of the pin should be sticking out the other side of the white connector inside the plug so that it can mate with the factory female plug?
Unfortunately I don’t have an answer to your specific question about pin and hole position. What I learned about the plugs and pins was from making up plugs/jumpers for the amplifier. For my tweeters I used wires with terminals that fit tightly over the pins in the stock plug and ran to the terminals of my replacement tweeters. No cutting or fabrication needed. You will pretty much need to remove the A pillar trim panel anyway but it is pretty easy to do.
Sponsored