Sponsored

Removing 2018 dash

drumstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
So I think I got all the bolts and clips off the dash, but it still wont budge.

The only things I haven't taken off yet are the side bolts that connect to the metal bar that runs behind the dash. Do those bolts need to be removed (pictured below)? I didn't think the whole metal bar comes out with the dash.

2019-04-18 11.10.51.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg
Sponsored

p6cl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Did you get the two bolts in the engine bay by the washer wipers. I swapped mine from the 2016 to a 2018 for the digital cluster to be bolted properly.

Sheenapple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
You got a ways to go, also it looks like you removed a TON of stuff you didn’t need to touch. I pulled my dash following the motor craft instrument panel removal guide. You can buy 72 hour access to it (looks like you may have already done this).

Based on what I see in your pics you still haven’t pulled the 3 large silver bolts (pictured in your attachments) the 4 bolts that you’re asking about (once you back these bolts out you CAN NOT shut the doors), and something that IS NOT in the motor craft manual is the fact that those bolts you are asking about have some sort of nut on the inside of the car that you need to unscrew as it is pressing the dash against the sides of the car. There are also two little kick panels that you need to pull off, one is beside the gas pedal to the right, and the other is on the passenger side in a similar spot. This will reveal 4 bolts, two on each side. You also need to remove the center console as it has pegs at the bottom of the center stack that will hold the dash in place or get in the way. Since you have an auto there are additional steps you need to take with the shifter, mine is manual so I just had to put it in 4th.

Once you get all of that done, you’re still not out of the woods... pull the drivers side out directly towards the back of the car. The A pillars are clipped into the dash on both sides. When I did mine the drivers side seem to come out with a pretty hard tug and jerk. The passenger side we stared at it for about 20 minutes before I said fuck it and yanked on it from the drivers side, didn’t break anything but I got lucky. The dash will balance on the center stack. Take this moment to make sure all of the connectors are free from either plugging into the dash harnesses or stuck into body panels. There are two plugs hidden inside of the A pillars on each side of the car. One for side curtain and another for the tweeter, pull them both out, the airbag clip is going to piss you off pretty good. Make sure the gear shifter is not in the way or you have a plan on how to work around it. Tilt your rear view mirror up and out of the way.

Pick the dash up, and carefully rotate it 90 degrees (steering wheel down) as you move it towards the back of the car. Once you clear the shifter take it out of the car and be very careful with the electrical harnesses, they are easy to squish when setting it down
55B68327-4EEC-4B3F-9D71-0C7EE0C17CD0.jpeg
57361937-C69D-429A-BE96-06970D20E821.jpeg
5BD6CABB-522E-4BD7-B650-8795BBD2C092.jpeg
6A211B07-8D6B-475F-8CC0-66BE5A2CA2EA.jpeg
17240961-8FA8-4A47-9B12-692C4A711FD0.jpeg

Sheenapple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Did you get the two bolts in the engine bay by the washer wipers. I swapped mine from the 2016 to a 2018 for the digital cluster to be bolted properly.
His cluster is completely gone and those two bolts hold it in place supposedly so he should be good there.

The thing to keep in mind is you either need NEW bolts or to be handy with RTV. You will need 4 new bolts or to RTV the following 4 bolts:

2 bolts instrument cluster bolts
2 bolts that hold the evaporator against the firewall INSIDE the engine bay

If you do not replace or RTV these bolts, you may develop leaks inside of your cabin. And I assume you would not want to pull the dash a second time. I sure as hell do not

OP
OP

drumstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Yeah I did.

His cluster is completely gone and those two bolts hold it in place supposedly so he should be good there.

The thing to keep in mind is you either need NEW bolts or to be handy with RTV. You will need 4 new bolts or to RTV the following 4 bolts:

2 bolts instrument cluster bolts
2 bolts that hold the evaporator against the firewall INSIDE the engine bay

If you do not replace or RTV these bolts, you may develop leaks inside of your cabin. And I assume you would not want to pull the dash a second time. I sure as hell do not
Thanks for the tips!

You got a ways to go, also it looks like you removed a TON of stuff you didn’t need to touch. I pulled my dash following the motor craft instrument panel removal guide. You can buy 72 hour access to it (looks like you may have already done this).

Based on what I see in your pics you still haven’t pulled the 3 large silver bolts (pictured in your attachments) the 4 bolts that you’re asking about (once you back these bolts out you CAN NOT shut the doors), and something that IS NOT in the motor craft manual is the fact that those bolts you are asking about have some sort of nut on the inside of the car that you need to unscrew as it is pressing the dash against the sides of the car. There are also two little kick panels that you need to pull off, one is beside the gas pedal to the right, and the other is on the passenger side in a similar spot. This will reveal 4 bolts, two on each side. You also need to remove the center console as it has pegs at the bottom of the center stack that will hold the dash in place or get in the way. Since you have an auto there are additional steps you need to take with the shifter, mine is manual so I just had to put it in 4th.

Once you get all of that done, you’re still not out of the woods... pull the drivers side out directly towards the back of the car. The A pillars are clipped into the dash on both sides. When I did mine the drivers side seem to come out with a pretty hard tug and jerk. The passenger side we stared at it for about 20 minutes before I said fuck it and yanked on it from the drivers side, didn’t break anything but I got lucky. The dash will balance on the center stack. Take this moment to make sure all of the connectors are free from either plugging into the dash harnesses or stuck into body panels. There are two plugs hidden inside of the A pillars on each side of the car. One for side curtain and another for the tweeter, pull them both out, the airbag clip is going to piss you off pretty good. Make sure the gear shifter is not in the way or you have a plan on how to work around it. Tilt your rear view mirror up and out of the way.

Pick the dash up, and carefully rotate it 90 degrees (steering wheel down) as you move it towards the back of the car. Once you clear the shifter take it out of the car and be very careful with the electrical harnesses, they are easy to squish when setting it down
Thanks! I was able to grab some pics real quick from a friend that has alldata.

Yeah I didn't realize the cluster and stuff didn't need to come out until after lol but I'm swapping dashes so they have to come out anyways.

Since the first pic:
I pulled the center console out, shifter out (major pita since you have to maneuver around the exhaust and driveshaft), unbolted the torx bolt holding the steering column, and got the 3 large silver bolts out.

Oh wow did not even realize those were jam nuts right there!
What size is the nut? My crescent won’t fit on the top ones. 25mm?26mm?
Took me a min to figure out what you were mentioning.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Sheenapple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
well if you cant find where everything goes let us know! you're certainly into the point of no return

about the jam nuts i'm not sure what size, luckily i had a big enough crescent to get the one that was "jammed" loosened. the other 2 i was able to do by hand.

OP
OP

drumstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
well if you cant find where everything goes let us know! you're certainly into the point of no return

about the jam nuts i'm not sure what size, luckily i had a big enough crescent to get the one that was "jammed" loosened. the other 2 i was able to do by hand.
Haha I definitely will! Going to try to get it back together later today.

The jam nuts were a 25mm. I had a 24 and 27 wrench so I just guessed what the size was.

OP
OP

drumstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Anyone know what the part number is for the 2 bolts with the gaskets under the cowl? The factory gasket look weird and not too confident on the rtv.
5.jpg

Sponsored

tt03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang V6
Anyone know what the part number is for the 2 bolts with the gaskets under the cowl? The factory gasket look weird and not too confident on the rtv.
5.jpg
Did you happen to ever find out which part number these were?

Blkbear17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt, 2006 f250, 2000 mustang gt
Just updating this thread with a part number. W715969-S442 for those 4 bolts with the squishy gasket.

Popeye6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacey
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt
I know it’s been a while since this thread has had any action but I am stuck. I have the dash removed and I have one last bolt that needs to come out to remove the heater/AC plenum. It’s the bolt dead behind the engine about 12” down from the two bolts that hold the dash in. Please tell me what specialized tool do I need. A 8mm socket and a swivel headed ratchet(with a 16”handle bent to the shape of the motor.)??? Some air tool? Remove the engine?(not happening).

dracoval

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Draco
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
So I think I got all the bolts and clips off the dash, but it still wont budge.

The only things I haven't taken off yet are the side bolts that connect to the metal bar that runs behind the dash. Do those bolts need to be removed (pictured below)? I didn't think the whole metal bar comes out with the dash.

2019-04-18 11.10.51.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg
What instruction sheet did you follow to remove the dash? Do you have a link?
Sponsored