Sponsored

2015 Mustang Horsepower / Torque Figures and Weight Released!

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Pathetic Ford, I'm highly disappointed. Dodge makes a statement and Ford comes in with a whimper.

I now doubt this can beat even the regular Boss 302. Maybe around a track but not in straight line. Basically the power gain covers the weight gain.
Sponsored

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
I love everyone jumping in with 2-3 posts to blast these figures....and anyone who cancelled their order.....good, mine might get to me that much faster.

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
That's disappointing :(

I know its a $35k car but i would have preffered it to be a $40k car with over 450bhp.
Not sure how much "over" 450HP you are thinking here, but $5K for another 20HP or so would not be a very good value, considering most of us can get that with a few hundred dollars in aftermarket parts. :)

FiveLiterDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The Stang isn't going to switch to an all aluminum chassis like the F150 for a good while. The F-150 body is a box on a frame. The Mustang is all once piece, uni-body, so all of that structure would be aluminum, and very expensive. I would see that adding $8-10k per car between materials and engineering costs. Remember aluminum reacts different to impacts, so all the crumple zones, engine mounts, trans mounts, anything of major integrity has to go back to the drawing board almost completely. They aren't just going to pop out an aluminum chassis for one model. It won't happen untill they can do it across the lineup.
The new F150 is steel frame aluminum body

apexclipper

Threads
Reaction score
The new 485hp/475tq Challenger R/T is going to smoke this stang on the street and strip. Ford dropped the ball here.
The Challenger is some 500 pounds heavier than the '15 Mustang GT.

The Mustang actually enjoys a slight advantage in terms of weight to horsepower ratio.

in other words, you're wrong. The two will be very evenly matched in terms of acceleration, with a slight edge going to the Mustang if it's very well driven.

Sponsored

JayBomb97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
I don't understand all the negativity about the numbers. Yes it wasn't much of a HP/TQ gain and it did get heavier by a bit, but it is a totally new platform so how can you compare the two without driving them both first? Plus this platform was designed for the one huge thing lacking in American muscle cars: handling. A few extra HP/TQ might get you going just a bit faster and maybe give you 5 extra MPH (holy crap!), but the winner of any competition is the one that can get through the turns the best. I'll take my PP EB Premium that can destroy turns over a Hellcat or other heavy overpowered car any day.

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Good deals on 2014 still ;)....get a tune, exhaust, and some other boltons...you will EAT the new srt8 scat pack.

RTD

Threads
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see what the SVT produces.

It appears that the new intake manifold (basically the old GT intake with charge motion flaps added) allowed it to gain some torque but cost it a good amount of hp on the top end. I bet with a Boss or CJ intake manifold these things will pick up quite a bit.

Assuming the SVT is just punched out to 5.2 + the CJ intake manifold, throttle body, and CAI + Direct Injection + maybe a slightly stronger tune and a revised exhaust, I'm thinking a hair over 500. Not the 550-600 that some had been discussing before.

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
That's disappointing :(

I know its a $35k car but i would have preffered it to be a $40k car with over 450bhp.

I just hope that in the UK its ECU is mapped for the 97/99ron premium fuel we get here. Which should just about bring it up into the 450bhp region.

Otherwise... I'll probably hold out for the SVT.
Then pay $35k for the car, spend $600-800 on a tuner/cold air kit (maybe even available at launch from FRPP) and you'll be over 450 for sure and you'll save over $4k...Win-Win

I'm betting/hoping that 2016 will bring not only 450hp+ but reduced weight using weight saving techniques/technology used on F150.
Highly doubt they'll make any large changes 1 year after a major model change. Even the 94 Mustang had to go a couple of years before they put the 4.6L engine in, and the 4.6L was being used on other Fords before 94. And then, even with customer disappointment in the 4.6L power, it took them until 1999 to finally get the PI intake on there.

I bet they won't change anything for 2016 (especially since the 2015 model is coming out a little on the late side). Unless there's a huge customer backlash (there won't be) or a big competitor release (won't be until next Camaro)....and they won't have time to react before '16 model year. Now I could see a Mach 1, Boss, or some other SE being released for '16 that may have increased power, but again, you'll pay more for it. Wait for the SVT if you're really THAT disappointed and have the money!

Khell86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang Gt
It's a little disappointing... I dont know if it'd hold me back from getting one completely, but it for sure has me weighing other options now.

Sponsored

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
You are wrong on both fronts. You are crazy if you think Ford would do that to 2015 owners. FYI 450+ is not coming for another few years.
Another FEW years? If that's true, I fear they may be underestimating their competition.

5lho

Threads
Reaction score
I actually bulled this. Why would a car maker redesign a car and build up demand on that basis and throw in a free major power upgrade in the first year? You would want to individually profit from this expense and doling out improvements through a model's life is a good way to get repeat business.

Guess my 2012 is still safe at the drags...I'm making dragstrip dyno 439 at the fly on my stock 2012 + Procal tune.

LSC5ohh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90 Mark VII LSC Special Edition
fuel doesn't build up in the valve train in a DI setup. It is injected straight into the chamber. Fuel is what cleans the valve train.
My mistake was going alittle fast typing. But still a catch can isn't going to solve everything. Otherwise Audi, BMW, etc.. wouldn't be having these issues.