Sponsored

New to Shelby and need help (not a a sh** storm)

Blown_90LX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold boosted 5.0L Fox & 4.6 Cobra
Hey Guys,

I know this has been beaten six ways to Sunday but I just spent two hours searching and can't find info I'm looking for; hoping my virtual Mustang buddies here can help.

Sorry in advance to e-haters (please feel free to just not waste your time responding if you are going to breaks chops about posting a question).

I'm interested in picking up a 2016/2017 GT350 since those years are in my budget and I love look and specs.

Two questions about oil consumption issue and I will be good to go:

1. Are there any Voodoos that don't consume the 1 qt per XX(500) rule i.e. Is this literally a trait in all these motors or just 'not abnormal' in the ones it does happen to?

2. Does Ford cover warranty for engine replacement for non-original owners (e.g. 2nd and 3rd owners)?

Thx!

Rich
Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
1. Mine didn't consume any oil that I was able to detect. Know plenty of others that don't as well (and plenty that do).
2. Yep.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
1 - Most don't, regardless of what you read.

2 - 5/60 warranty on powertrain regardless of owner.

Bertetto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 350 Magnetic Metallic
My 17 doesn't use any oil and I just posted it for sale in the for sale section.

Last edited:

Sponsored

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
I gotta believe most Voodoo engines are OK, the small percentage reported here seem to overwhelm the true condition.
After 25,000 miles my '16 uses about 1/2 quart every 3,000 miles whether I track it or not.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
According to all internet experts (autocrossing my car at 200 miles. Yes, two hundred, not two hundred with a zero missing at the end), my engine should have blown up 382 times over and yet is tight as a drum and consumes about a quart a change.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
My car is down, but it was not do to oil consumption. From what I have been told, the oil level was fine. My car went boom for a different reason.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
I had three different Voodoos between two cars. The first one was eventually changed due to excessive consumption. The second one used a little bit, but I traded it in (trade assist instead of lemoning my 16 tech) with only about 1k on the replacement motor. My second GT350/third Voodoo was great until about 9000 miles. It used a quart about every 1500-2000 miles until the 9k mark it started using about a quart every 600 or so miles. It was going down from there so I threw in the towel and gave up on the GT350.

There is a reason Ford revised their usage in the owner's manual from the first year models (15/16 IIRC) down to a quart every 500 miles in the 17s and up.

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2018 SHELBY GT350 LEAD FOOT GREY
There is a reason Ford revised their usage in the owner's manual from the first year models (15/16 IIRC) down to a quart every 500 miles in the 17s and up.
I could understand if that 500 mile was for cars that are tracked. But for that to be the acceptable amount for normal street use is ridiculous. Currently mine burns about 1 quart every 3k miles. I have about 6300 on the motor. Hopefully mine doesn't do what yours did at 9k miles.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I could understand if that 500 mile was for cars that are tracked. But for that to be the acceptable amount for normal street use is ridiculous. Currently mine burns about 1 quart every 3k miles. I have about 6300 on the motor. Hopefully mine doesn't do what yours did at 9k miles.
They are built to handle track use. Track use doesn't make a huge difference in oil consumption. The thing that is hardest on most equipment is sitting and NOT running.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
I don't spend nearly as much time here so things may have changed, but there doesn't seem to be any concrete reason for one to be an oil burner and another not to be. It has happened to both tracked and not tracked cars.

FWIW, I broke in my first Voodoo according to the manual and took it easy on it until whatever the manual said (1000 & change miles IIRC). My replacement motor on the advice of my dealer via Ford (according to my dealer) they said to heat cycle it a couple of times and take it easy for the first 100 miles. Then get it up to operating temp and redline it few times then drive it like I normally would. Neither worked for me. I tracked both of my cars, but not very heavily. Only a couple/few times for both of them.

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
I don't spend nearly as much time here so things may have changed, but there doesn't seem to be any concrete reason for one to be an oil burner and another not to be. It has happened to both tracked and not tracked cars.

FWIW, I broke in my first Voodoo according to the manual and took it easy on it until whatever the manual said (1000 & change miles IIRC). My replacement motor on the advice of my dealer via Ford (according to my dealer) they said to heat cycle it a couple of times and take it easy for the first 100 miles. Then get it up to operating temp and redline it few times then drive it like I normally would. Neither worked for me. I tracked both of my cars, but not very heavily. Only a couple of times for both of them.
Yeah don''t know the rhyme or reason for some to burn oil and some not to be. Too much to speculate on.

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
They are built to handle track use. Track use doesn't make a huge difference in oil consumption. The thing that is hardest on most equipment is sitting and NOT running.
Then hopefully over time as the engine wears in oil consumption will go down. I do know that in a 6 month period, that the previous owner only put about 1,000 miles on her. In contrast, within 2.5 months I've put 4k on her. Time will tell.

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
Mine doesn't use oil even when tracked. I beat on mine mercilessly. No issues so far. Mine is a 2016. Bought it new.
Sponsored