Sponsored

93/100/E85 Dyno Runs on the race motor (scheduled for April 22nd)

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
What a day! We spent from 9am to about 5:30PM battling, but the end was so worth it. Had a heater core hose fly off at about 7k rpm and launch coolant about 10ft up the wall, had 2 hours of technical difficulties trying to get the data logging software (SCT Link) to connect to the car, and a couple other small things. We spent a good 6 hours running dyno pulls for the 93, 100 octane, and E85 tunes to really nail down each tune. I have video where I'll go into more detail and break it down, but here's the summary of the day:

1. Air intake temps were around 76-80* all day. Humidity hovered around 71-73%.
  2. Fuels used were 93 octane pump, Sunoco 260GT Plus (for the 100 octane tune), and pump E85 from Sunoco.
  3. Dyno was a Mustang Dyno that has been converted to a Dynocom dyno.
On to the numbers
  • 93 tune: Peak HP for 93 pump gas was 523 with about 27 degrees timing (recalling from memory), backed it way down to about 503 hp with only 24 degrees of timing.
  • 100 octane: peak HP was 526 with 30 degrees, but backed it down to around ~28 and 513hp. The big difference here is that it has more 35hp or more power over the entire power curve under 7200 RPM.
  • E85 tune: Peak was 538hp (it LOVED the ethanol), backed it down to about 525hp with ~28 degree of timing.
We estimated that it's probably putting out around 600 crank in today's conditions and tunes. We also estimated that it we tuned for peak power in cooler conditions (better air density), we'd easily be up around 575 whp on the ethanol.

dyno.png

To some, the numbers might not seem like much given the investment, but let's keep in mind making max HP was never the goal. It was reliability and driveability. These curves are so damn linear and smooth it's mind melting. Shaun is damn a wizard. Every tune is so balanced and safe. I have complete confidence this engine will last through anything I can put through it all day long.

Other bonus areas - he fixed the throttle response. It's instant and there's no delay between dabbing the throttle and the intake opening. HELL YES.

Lastly, oil temps never got about 225 even with only one small fan blowing towards the radiator and this thing hitting rev limiter a bunch of times. The new oil cooler is going to be awesome. Seriously can't wait.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Nice numbers I cant see under the curve but based on other dyno's It doesnt look like you mods did not gained much?any? power? Is your backed down timing more than stock how did you pick those?

I know reliability was your goal no power. It looks like you stopped at 8k?

Thanks for sharing.

Sponsored

mkonrad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Hope you can get the beast buttoned up for COTA in May.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
To some, the numbers might not seem like much given the investment, but let's keep in mind making max HP was never the goal. It was reliability and driveability. These curves are so damn linear and smooth it's mind melting.
It makes me happy that you see the big picture and have your priorities straight. Way too damn many people in this community have their heads stuck on numbers and it's saddening.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Nice numbers I cant see under the curve but based on other dyno's It doesnt look like you mods did not gained much?any? power? Is your backed down timing more than stock how did you pick those?

Thanks for sharing.
With dyno runs, despite your redline, once you start leveling off on power, you usually just shut it down. For the most part, there's no more really to be gathered if you keep going unless you have a very specific reason to do so like if you changed springs due to a valvetrain control issue way up high.

Sponsored
OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
This thing is going to be an absolute monster. I can't wait to see the first track results.
Agreed. Power is going to be so usable!

Thanks for sharing.
AS @nastang87xx said, we know the intake and cam setup isn't built to make much power over 8k rpm, so we only ran to about 8k each time to reduce stress on the motor. The redline will be higher than 8250, but we ran out of time to really tweak. I'll be in comms with Shaun this week to finalize that. Will likely bet set around 8500 or so.

Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Hope you can get the beast buttoned up for COTA in May.
That's the plan! Although given the loose ends we need to tie up, I'll probably be a fairly last minute decision.

It makes me happy that you see the big picture and have your priorities straight. Way too damn many people in this community have their heads stuck on numbers and it's saddening.
Agreed. #1 goal I told Shaun was I wanted tunes that could sustain 30-45 mins of road course abuse without jeopardizing the motor. He wasn't even looking dyno graphs. Only looked at the engine logs and adjusted based on fuel, air, knock, etc.

I am very impressed with the smoothness and the lack of the dip and ramp around 3500-4000 RPM. This car will be a rocket on the road course with linear power at all engine speeds you'll see on track. Nice work!
It's very, very smooth and has excellent response now. Hopefully I can make it up your way sometime and you can check it out!

This, beautiful curve. This is what I would want out of my 350.
:)

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
happy for you man! numbers look great!

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Awesome durability improvement and power delivery. You are now the second person I know who has succesuccesu rebuilt and improved on an amazing platform.

Great job!

Can't wait to build mine one day.

BKTorch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 350
So question is - anything in particular you guys want me to capture/gather/test? Unfortunately I won't be able to directly compare with a stock motor since I never dyno'd mine.
Any way you could post a chart with the final tune graphs for each tune?
Sponsored