Sponsored

Did they seriously Spray Foam the IRS?

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I feel like I logged on to a foam insulation forum complete with infomercials and not a mustang forum...only clicked cause it said it was one of the most popular threads last week...talk about a derailed thread or click bait...I know, here comes the popcorn and the hate!
Sponsored

TaraFirma

Wait.....Wut?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 17 GT350, 19 GT, 65 coupe, 13 F-150, 14 Porsche Panamera eHybrid
I feel like I logged on to a foam insulation forum complete with infomercials and not a mustang forum...only clicked cause it said it was one of the most popular threads last week...talk about a derailed thread or click bait...I know, here comes the popcorn and the hate!
Kind of felt the same way, but was intrigued with the foam info.
8/10, would read again.

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
Only during slow seasons we do cellulose you can’t retrofit foam into existing structures, and anyone who claims they can are frauds, don’t do it. It will not be good work. But yes we have to have choices for customer.

We cater towards big business though as demanding jobs take priority.

You can’t spray foam in cold weather, moisture and the temps have to be above certain ranges for optimal expansion and curing, this is when we do more cellulose jobs.

Sorry guys ! I did not want to sound like infomercial, foam is actually really cool, the chemical reactions and all that goes into it. It’s neat so I kind of rambled on. I enjoy doing it

Madtel4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
21 MACH 1, HP 1064, 20 Ranger XLT & 20 Explorer ST
In my part of the world they use foam to lift concrete slabs like driveways, Driveways for your Mustang, see how all of this is relevant.
Lee

Sponsored

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
In my part of the world they use foam to lift concrete slabs like driveways, Driveways for your Mustang, see how all of this is relevant.
Lee
Yep, called foamjacking, mud jacking, slab jacking, idk what your region refers to it as. we do that as well. not often though, did it to my house. Its crazy how strong it is! my foundation settled a little due to run off from neighbors I installed French drains on my house, and installed them on their houses too to run their water away from my house like 200 feet. (10k) expensive as heck. then used foam to lift the foundation back to normal.

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
thanks for writing about the spray foam process, it was interesting to me!

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
I am more concerned about the giant ricer winged white Mustang in the back on the first picture.

foxcoupefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT4
I am more concerned about the giant ricer winged white Mustang in the back on the first picture.

Well that is FTB's shop; a shop that doesn't race, build, or sell items that don't have a serious purpose. That looks to be an S197 with an ARP GT-250 wing which is a pure function product and probably a dedicated track car.

I have a feeling it's this car. Yep, pretty rice. ;)

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/images/NASA AIX 2014 NEW AIX.jpg

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/images/Boss sits on AI pole after setting new Track Record.jpg

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
Well that is FTB's shop; a shop that doesn't race, build, or sell items that don't have a serious purpose. That looks to be an S197 with an ARP GT-250 wing which is a pure function product and probably a dedicated track car.

I have a feeling it's this car. Yep, pretty rice. ;)

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/images/NASA AIX 2014 NEW AIX.jpg

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/images/Boss sits on AI pole after setting new Track Record.jpg
I will take your word for it.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Our cars do not come like this from the factory guys.

I got a response back from Full Tilt Boogie Racing:

"Yes, you are correct. When we developed the diff insert bushings we wanted to see what we could do to help dampen the NVH. We hoped the spray foam would help prevent the noise from transferring through the IRS but didn't help much.

Sincerely,
James & The FTBR Team "
Sorry for the interruption folks, but back to topic (instead of residential/commercial non-auto discussion)...

So FTBR designed diff insert bushings, but after installation of their product, those bushings have NVH concerns. THEY then thought that adding spray foam to those areas it would not only remedy the NVH but yield a viable solution... INSTEAD of actually redesigning their product or coming up with an engineering solution to fix the NVH?

I have reread the initial post and their response....Am I missing something??

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for the interruption folks, but back to topic (instead of residential/commercial non-auto discussion)...

So FTBR designed diff insert bushings, but after installation of their product, those bushings have NVH concerns. THEY then thought that adding spray foam to those areas it would not only remedy the NVH but yield a viable solution... INSTEAD of actually redesigning their product or coming up with an engineering solution to fix the NVH?

I have reread the initial post and their response....Am I missing something??
NVH will be created any time you stiffen up a bushing. There's not really a way to "redesign" it without making the bushing have more give

Basically, they made a great product as far as performance and durability goes, and they were seeing if they could find a way to fix the day-to-day downfalls that usually come with installing a high performance car part

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
NVH will be created any time you stiffen up a bushing. There's not really a way to "redesign" it without making the bushing have more give

Basically, they made a great product as far as performance and durability goes, and they were seeing if they could find a way to fix the day-to-day downfalls that usually come with installing a high performance car part
Understood.:thumbsup:

However to remedy any type of NVH by using spray foam which would only deteriorate by rip/tear upon deflection/compression, water intrusion or (insert x here) just doesn’t make any sense...:question:

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
Some foams are flexible.

They also have a sound deadining quality in some cases.

Either way, it's a pretty silly thing to imply that the product is crap because it creates NVH.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
However to remedy any type of NVH by using spray foam which would only deteriorate by rip/tear upon deflection/compression, water intrusion or (insert x here) just doesn’t make any sense...:question:
Agreed, but you'd be amazed what techniques are sampled in the engineering world. Hell, Ford engineers used duct tape to revise the 2018+ front aero when field testing! It seemed like it was at least worth a try
Sponsored