avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Its been over a month since my first service and today i noticed the infamous irregular ticking under the passenger wheel arch.It went away as the car warmed up but it was definitely not there before service.
I remember checking this as i left the dealers and it wasn't there so the car must have been warmed up.
Oh well I've joined the ticking club that Ford has said is a normal characteristic.
Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
i've heard some of the yanks calling it the "will smith"

Phil_AVF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2198 Grabber Yellow
Mine has it and I've only done 2800 miles since January and haven't changed the oil. Have it on video so will be heading into the dealer next week.

Sponsored

OP
OP
avocet

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has it and I've only done 2800 miles since January and haven't changed the oil. Have it on video so will be heading into the dealer next week.
They will probably say its normal,mine comes on as the revs die down on start up and goes away when warm.No rattle/at 1500/200 revs.Let us know how you get on.

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
One thing which has crossed all 3 of my brain cells is.

Ford claim the type writer tick is "normal".
Oook.
But, why don't Ford tells us what is making the type writer tick?

Seems strange to me.
If Ford claims the tick is "normal" this tells me they must know what is causing it.
So why are they staying quiet on the subject of what the cause is?

OP
OP
avocet

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
You get to know your car and what it sounds like.Yes these engines are noisey at the top but i never had an irregular tick from the bottom until the first oil change.When it first starts up it sounds as it always did,then after about a couple of minutes it starts to tick from underneath.When its fully warmed up it goes away.Just driven 320 miles and no issues or ticking.
The problems they've been having with these engines will of course be highlighted on forums and will probably be exaggerated,but without a doubt many are experiencing ticks after an oil change which suggests either something is added to the oil in the factory,or the actual process of changing the oil and filter is doing something weird.The piston slap, cylinder scoring,and ring damage reports are other issues i believe.Ford has said the tick is normal,and even those that have had had engines changed are still getting ticks.We shall see.

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT
I think they add something at the factory but once the oil is changed it’s missing something, Ford will not say they add anything as this will show they know there is a problem

OP
OP
avocet

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I think they add something at the factory but once the oil is changed it’s missing something, Ford will not say they add anything as this will show they know there is a problem
At this stage i dont really want to add an oil additive or different oil spec.

Sponsored

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
Well if I ever get the tick (and honestly, at this point I’m thinking we all will with MY18s at some point) then I will simply Chuck a bottle of Ceratec in with the oil. Lots have used this with good results and say after a few thousand miles, you couldn’t tell by looking at the oil that it was added (actually sounds like a really good product even without quieting down the click).

Anyway, drive it as usual. If the engine does go (and I think the ones that have are not because of the tick) then that is what warranty is for (although a bloody inconvenience when it does).

OP
OP
avocet

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I agree there's other things going on with the MY18 engine.Even new bottom ends fitted have been ticking so i dont think this will be resolved. Some engines tick from new,others tick after first oil change.

OP
OP
avocet

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I think the tick happens straight away after an oil change but i didn't hear it at service because the oil was at temp.I'm going to escalate this with the dealer next week.I want it at least on record that i have the tick.They will probably say its normal but Ford doesn't explain what it is. 2000 miles since service and a trip to cornwall the tick has got worse on cold but goes away when warm like loads have reported.I will probably change out the oil to 5 w 30 and get it checked for contamination.As i see it i only have a few options, leave it and mask the tick with an additive.Keep on at the dealer untill the change for a short block with potentially the same problem.
Sell the car now and get a classic mach 1 i have my eye on

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
sell the car pick up a slightly used 15-17 and be happy.

OP
OP
avocet

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
sell the car pick up a slightly used 15-17 and be happy.
No thanks,the oil cooler will go or the AC will will blow hot.,or i will get wet feet
Sponsored