Spline Lug Nut Security

Fastfwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT 2012 Honda Accord V6 Coupe EX-L Nav
I just got a new set of wheels in from LMR (GT7, satin black, 19x10). They came with a set of spline drive lug nuts and I have to be honest that it's the first I've dealt with these. I've always used a set of keyed lug nuts for security, but I'm not entirely sure there are even security lug nuts that will fit the holes on these wheels? I'm guessing the holes are a bit slimmer than the stock wheels, etc.? I haven't mounted these wheels yet to get a really good look.

For that matter these spline drive nuts and the thin walled 'key' for them might make removing them without the key even more difficult than I see dozens of Youtube videos detailing how to use a socket to whack over a keyed lug to remove them without the key. I'm guessing the spline lug keys are much easier to come by though.

So, do people trust the spline lugs for security or are there some slim locking lug nuts that are recommended? I'm not seeing much unless you order an entire set of lugs with a security lug for each wheel included.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Fastfwd

Fastfwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
I guess these would be what I would otherwise be looking for except they don't make black to match in 14mm x 1.50. I would pay an extra $20 for the peace of mind. Everybody here is a wise guy thinking they have to try to outsmart me at every turn. If I don't lock these wheels/tires down it might be trouble.

I can't even imagine having carbon wheels on a GT350R.

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I purchased set of wheels (S350's) from LMR over the weekend, not sure I will be using the splined lug nuts. I don't feel like the splined lug nuts offer any security at all, LMR sells the lug key on their website for $10 and they are "one size fits all'. Any thief can get one and carry it around in their tool box they use when out hunting for wheels. I may use the splined lug nuts in the meantime, just because my mustang sits in the garage, so not to worried about the wheels being stolen.

My plan is to eventually buy small diameter lug nuts from Gorilla, they use a 3/4' diameter socket, and McGard lists on their site a tuner style wheel lock kit. McGard lists both chrome and black for these, and Gorilla has the same. Any thief that knows what he is doing would be able to get the McGard locks off also pretty easily, but at least I know they had to work a little to get them off. I purchased the liquid graphite wheels from LMR, so planning on going with black lugs and locks. Yeah, I could keep the splined lugs and get the McGard locks, but then I would need two keys. The kit I saw from Gorilla includes a thin walled socket also, so I guess I still would need two extra sockets to carry around, but I think a standard lug just looks better anyway.

Doug

Last edited:

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Those are the McGard locks I was talking about. CJ Pony Parts lists the Gorilla lug nuts on their site.

Doug

OP
OP
Fastfwd

Fastfwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Those are the McGard locks I was talking about. CJ Pony Parts lists the Gorilla lug nuts on their site.

Doug
I ordered those earlier today, but I don't think they have shipped yet. I'm curious if these Gorilla locks are just as good for half the price (if they would work): https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automotive-71641NBC-Wheel-System/dp/B009XUB8D6/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

Edit - I think those are too big actually. Again, I don't see Gorilla lugs that are skinny enough.

I saw a guy on Youtube do a comparison between Gorilla and McGard and if I recollect the socket might have been superior for the McGard, but the actual lugs were noted to possibly be better constructed with the Gorilla.

I really dislike having to feel like I need an undergraduate minor in locking lug nuts or whatever the latest thing is just to find the right ones. PITA
Sponsored

Last edited: