Sponsored

Holley iNTECH CAI hp & lb·ft claim

Captain Trips

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I was going to send this feedback to Holley, but after looking around on their site I'll be damned if I could find a form or email dedicated to product feedback, so here goes...

I was curious about this CAI and ordered one from Summit on a whim. My car isn't back on the road yet - because Canada - but here are my initial impressions of the CAI itself and the install.

The good:
-The included dry element filter is really nice
-Airbox and intake tube have a factory textured appearance on the OD and a suuuper smooth ID
-Install is simple and relocation of the MAF wire can be concealed nicely
-Has a very clean appearance when installed

The bad:
-Came with installation instructions for a 2016 Camaro (yeah...)
-Had A LOT of burrs and tailings wherever the component ended or where the threaded inserts were placed for PCV and EVAP connections
-The inside of the airbox and induction tube had a considerable amount of plastic dust inside of them from when, I assume, the remaining molding lines and miscellaneous areas were trimmed by hand
-The inside of the induction tube had some kind of oily mold release agent inside it -- so count on washing the tube and airbox out after you manually deburr everything Holley missed
-The threads were improperly tapped (starting thread was curled over and pulled out) where the PCV nipple threads into the intake tube, so I had to re-thread it.

If you want a "true" CAI from the aftermaket I would pass on this one for the time being. It feels like a pre-release or rushed-to-market product. Nothing was a deal breaker for me, but you can do better for your hard-earned $350.00 than this option. There is too much competition to let something like this slide.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Carzzi

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rapid Red 401A PP1 A10 Magneride
I was going to send this feedback to Holley, but after looking around on their site I'll be damned if I could find a form or email dedicated to product feedback, so here goes...

I was curious about this CAI and ordered one from Summit on a ...

There is too much competition to let something like this slide.
Thank you for that detailed review, Captain Trips. Saved me my hard earned 350 quatloos.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Here is the video we did on it ... 2-3 weeks, should be shortly!

We'll keep you apprised to the release date!

TJ

Sponsored

8915GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Just get Steeda's new intake coming out in a few weeks if you want a closed box.
For me it wasn't about having a closed box as there are already a few aftermarket CAI out there that are closed. It was the actual design of this CA where the conical filter faces downward so when the air is coming it it is flowing through all sides of filter. Where all other CAI takes the majority of the flow is coming on just one side of it. All the CAI filters I have cleaned, one side is always dirty than the other.

It will be interesting to see after I get some miles on this CAI if the filter will be equally dirty all around?

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
For me it wasn't about having a closed box as there are already a few aftermarket CAI out there that are closed. It was the actual design of this CA where the conical filter faces downward so when the air is coming it it is flowing through all sides of filter. Where all other CAI takes the majority of the flow is coming on just one side of it. All the CAI filters I have cleaned, one side is always dirty than the other.

It will be interesting to see after I get some miles on this CAI if the filter will be equally dirty all around?
I agree it is a very unique design. Just wondering about the Steeda to keep all my options open. I was about to get a PMAS soon then I saw this, so many choices!

8915GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

I was curious about this CAI and ordered one from Summit on a whim. My car isn't back on the road yet - because Canada - but here are my initial impressions of the CAI itself and the install.

The good:
-The included dry element filter is really nice
-Airbox and intake tube have a factory textured appearance on the OD and a suuuper smooth ID
-Install is simple and relocation of the MAF wire can be concealed nicely
-Has a very clean appearance when installed

The bad:
-Came with installation instructions for a 2016 Camaro (yeah...)
-Had A LOT of burrs and tailings wherever the component ended or where the threaded inserts were placed for PCV and EVAP connections
-The inside of the airbox and induction tube had a considerable amount of plastic dust inside of them from when, I assume, the remaining molding lines and miscellaneous areas were trimmed by hand
-The inside of the induction tube had some kind of oily mold release agent inside it -- so count on washing the tube and airbox out after you manually deburr everything Holley missed
-The threads were improperly tapped (starting thread was curled over and pulled out) where the PCV nipple threads into the intake tube, so I had to re-thread it.

If you want a "true" CAI from the aftermaket I would pass on this one for the time being. It feels like a pre-release or rushed-to-market product. Nothing was a deal breaker for me, but you can do better for your hard-earned $350.00 than this option. There is too much competition to let something like this slide.
I had none of these issues except for the oily mold residue. The only issue I had was it was a royal pain to slip the tube into the filter when the filter was installed into the air box. I could slip just the filter on the tube by itself with no problems but then had the same issue when trying to slip the filter into the airbox when the tube was attached to the filter. I mean it took forever for ever and I even used plenty of soap, it was really bad!!!

However now since it has been installed for awhile, I can slip it on and off with no problems now. I guess it need to be stretched out!

apex15stangPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Here is the video we did on it ... 2-3 weeks, should be shortly!

We'll keep you apprised to the release date!

TJ
TJ,

Will there be testing results from 15-17 as well with the new intake?

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
TJ,

Will there be testing results from 15-17 as well with the new intake?
\

Chances are, yes - we'll have a 15-17 on the dyno that we will do baseline testing for.

Best Regards,

TJ

Sponsored

wmfateam

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Whitey
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
\

Chances are, yes - we'll have a 15-17 on the dyno that we will do baseline testing for.

Best Regards,

TJ
Any news/updates on the intake?

rex979

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT premium convertible
For what it is worth.......I purchased a Holly Intech for my 2017 GT auto convert and did some 1/8 mile drag racing in Sturgis. There's some altitude there and a mediocre driver at best and I was posting times pretty consistently at least 2/10' sec faster than the other 2015-2017 GT autos and sticks, coupes ( no other converts there at that time) There was one 2018 GT coupe there and we were both dialed in at 9.06. However, I never tried with the stock airbox there or anywhere else, so NOT very reliable info unfortunately. I was sure hoping someone would do a proper test on a dyno back to back and see what it is really doing, if anything. ( too late for me, I already spent the dough Lol) I just figured Holly was too reputable a company to blatantly lie about the numbers ?
Sponsored