Sponsored

Steeda rattle/clunking after install

dope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I just replaced my base GT with Steeda Progressive lowering springs and the Steeda Pro Performance Fixed struts/shocks. I feel I installed it all correctly and even double checked for tightness. I have an issue where I can hear a light rattle or clunk/clicking noise when going over certain bumps or road imperfections. I cant actually feel it tgrough the wheel, but its noticeable. Any idea what it may be? I reused the upper strut mounts. Maybe the inferior upper strut mounts that come on a base GT need to be replaced with ones from an OEM PP car? My car only has 3500 miles on it. Thanks!
I have the Steeda Progressives with the Pro-Action fixed dampers like you and have that exact noise coming from the front right side. I've brought my car in to several shops and none were able to find a solution. Did you ever find a solution?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ggradtech

Ggradtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
In my case, it was the spring isolators. Those covers that go over the springs themselves. It's important to have them oriented properly. I can't recall now exactly how I had them wrong initially. The guy on here from Steeda is very cool and will help you out. He works for Steeda.

dope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
In my case, it was the spring isolators. Those covers that go over the springs themselves. It's important to have them oriented properly. I can't recall now exactly how I had them wrong initially. The guy on here from Steeda is very cool and will help you out. He works for Steeda.
Is the spring isolator that you are referring to Ford Part #: 5A306? I'll call Steeda. I'll try speak to Mike D because last time I had issues with their parts, I got someone who wasn't really helpful.
Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 10.44.04 PM.png

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
So what is the rattle from? I occasionally get a clunk in the front, but it is rare and only happens with specific bumps. I can't see anything hitting, and my springs were rotated into the seats as directed in the install instructions. I have basically been ignoring it, as I don't feel it hurting performance.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Is the spring isolator that you are referring to Ford Part #: 5A306? I'll call Steeda. I'll try speak to Mike D because last time I had issues with their parts, I got someone who wasn't really helpful.
Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 10.44.04 PM.png
Let me know if I can help assist with getting your issue taken care of - please shoot me your info at [email protected]

TJ

Sponsored

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
It's the only thing I haven't tried at this point. I'm gonna see if I can get another set and see if that'll finally solve my problem after three years. No complaints otherwise.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
So what is the rattle from?
That's just the Steeda parts themselves, it's just how they are. Don't worry about it and just go on about your day.

Unless you see obvious signs of mis-installation or mis-alingment with them, they won't cause any issues.

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
When Steeda suspension components are installed properly there is no noise what so ever!
I worked with K-Roll302 previously and it was a loose brake caliper that was a while back.
If anyone has any noise with Steeda components please reach out to our tech team.
Thank you,
Steeda Tech

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
That's just the Steeda parts themselves, it's just how they are. Don't worry about it and just go on about your day.
This statement is a touch brutal.

I have nearly the whole of Steeda’s suspension catalog on my car and I don’t have any noise issues at all. Not on poorly paved roads, good roads, dirt trails, cobblestone, the Autobahns at 150mph, or the lot.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
When Steeda suspension components are installed properly there is no noise what so ever!
I worked with K-Roll302 previously and it was a loose brake caliper that was a while back.
If anyone has any noise with Steeda components please reach out to our tech team.
Thank you,
Steeda Tech
I definitely have a clunk noise in the front on certain bumps. My rear creaks when I start to jack it up. I followed the instructions exactly. However, I still need to clock the bushings and will see if that helps.

Sponsored

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
I definitely have a clunk noise in the front on certain bumps. My rear creaks when I start to jack it up. I followed the instructions exactly. However, I still need to clock the bushings and will see if that helps.
Looking over your build sheet the Steeda Dual Rate springs do not make noise. Make sure your upper strut mount nut is torqued to a spec of 75 foot pounds, this is the number one culprit i have found to cause front end noise. Plus, that your MM plates are installed properly. Please reach out through a pm for further assistance if needed.

Thank you,
Steeda Tech

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Looking over your build sheet the Steeda Dual Rate springs do not make noise. Make sure your upper strut mount nut is torqued to a spec of 75 foot pounds, this is the number one culprit i have found to cause front end noise. Plus, that your MM plates are installed properly. Please reach out through a pm for further assistance if needed.

Thank you,
Steeda Tech
You mean the center nut? The MM plates are definitely correct, as they only allow proper camber adjustment when mounted the right way.

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
You mean the center nut? The MM plates are definitely correct, as they only allow proper camber adjustment when mounted the right way.
Yes, center nut.

Steeda Tech

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
No clunks or noises with my dual rate springs. I can confirm the shop said there was a noise at first, they attributed it to the tight tolerances Steeda uses on the camber plates I had installed as well. Something to do with the gasket, anyway. They greases the hell out of it and it went away.

My point is that it might just need some lube

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Yes, center nut.

Steeda Tech
Any special procedure to tightening it in a way that keeps the tube from just spinning? I used an air ratchet, and hit it until the strut started to turn. This was pretty much exactly what CJ Pony Parts did in their video.
Sponsored