Sponsored

To build a Y-pipe or to Buy a Y-pipe?!

MegaMagneticStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Turbo Mustang all Magnetic
So i want more exhaust sound from my Mustang, but dont really want to spend all that money on a full cat-back system. I know the "quickest / easiest" way is to do the resonator delete with a bolt on y-pipe.

whats bothering me, is the $220+ price tag for what is essentially $50 worth of metal piping.. I mean, i can get a y-pipe for a 350Z on ebay for $110 that has way more costly parts than what they are currently selling for the ecoboost mustangs.

so, what it not be more cost effective to get a y pipe piece off of Amazon for example, and a couple of clamps, a bit of tubing, and just build it myself? I have a basic welder, and I can cut and measure as good as anyone else.

has anyone else done their own Y pipe that want to share thoughts / ideas / secrets with me. I tried searching this forum but came up with nothing. Thanks in advance for the help / advice!
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
The main thing I've noticed with the exhaust options is usually ease of use/install and a price to match the market. V6 specific h or x pipes are way more expensive than the GT ones so it makes more sense for me to buy/get a low price GT take off catback and then buy GT mid pipes and/or mufflers.

Same goes for you. Might be worth pitching it to @SteedaTech to see if there's more of a market for them to offer an option as well. Their X and H pipes have been well received and are the best price.

You could probably get an exhaust shop to weld something in for you at a price under $150, not sure how common generic Ys are though.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
If I had fabrication skills I'd build my own. That being said if you got the skill and don't mind the work then I say build your own. Now if you do go that route do it right, splurge and make a titanium y pipe just to be different.

cvf-jason

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
We're actually developing a Y-pipe as we speak because of what you're talking about: the prices for what's out there currently for Eco Mustangs are quite aggressive, to say the least.

If you're interested in test-fitting a unit for us and providing some feedback we're willing to make it worth your while. :like:

Drop me a PM if you're interested in chatting - here's what we're working with:

4dbVMW4.jpg

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
So i want more exhaust sound from my Mustang, but dont really want to spend all that money on a full cat-back system. I know the "quickest / easiest" way is to do the resonator delete with a bolt on y-pipe.

whats bothering me, is the $220+ price tag for what is essentially $50 worth of metal piping.. I mean, i can get a y-pipe for a 350Z on ebay for $110 that has way more costly parts than what they are currently selling for the ecoboost mustangs.

so, what it not be more cost effective to get a y pipe piece off of Amazon for example, and a couple of clamps, a bit of tubing, and just build it myself? I have a basic welder, and I can cut and measure as good as anyone else.

has anyone else done their own Y pipe that want to share thoughts / ideas / secrets with me. I tried searching this forum but came up with nothing. Thanks in advance for the help / advice!
I built a Y-pipe for my 15 Ecoboost Mustang. I got a 2.5" in and 2.25" out stainless Y from Summit Racing along with a length of 2.5 stainless pipe. I had a coupon from Summit so both cost me less than$50.

Because the down pipe is not centered under the car but the two pipes out of the resonator are I welded the Y to the two pipes back to the mufflers located in the center. The 2.5" pipe was a sloppy fit over the down pipe so I welded the pipe to the down pipe and used a band clamp on the 2.5" pipe into the Y so I could pull the exhaust without having to remove everything from the turbo back as one piece.

This setup with stock mufflers was no different sounding than stock. I latter bought a couple of 14" oval Magnaflo mufflers from Summit and some stainless tips from Amazon. This gave the car a nice sound for a daily driver but was still quiet while cruising.

Total investment for my home made cat back was less than $200 for all stainless parts.

Sponsored

RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
We're actually developing a Y-pipe as we speak because of what you're talking about: the prices for what's out there currently for Eco Mustangs are quite aggressive, to say the least.

If you're interested in test-fitting a unit for us and providing some feedback we're willing to make it worth your while. :like:

Drop me a PM if you're interested in chatting - here's what we're working with:

4dbVMW4.jpg
That looks more like an h pipe than a Y pipe. I understand the reason for doing it that way, but there something about that design that bugs me. It seems like it'd be biased towards one side more so than a true Y. Also, if i were looking for a Y, i'd be looking for a 3" inlet to dual 2.25" outlet to connect a 3" DP to the factory exhaust. It'd be great to see a DP/Mid combo that will pair with the factory active exhaust.

War-Machine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1, Shadow Black
I would suggest trying to go with different mufflers first before cutting out the resonator. I got rid of the resonator and had vibrations at annoying levels. Tried getting rid of the mufflers after that, and it was super loud and did not sound good. I ended up putting it all back to stock after that, and recently got a catted downpipe from CVF and wish I had done so from the start, as it has gotten a nicer tone inside the cabin and so far has none of the bad tones I got from the previous attempts at modding the exhaust.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
^^^^^^ What he said!
Aftermarket downpipe and stock exhaust is the way to go.
Unless you want to have ridiculous noise inside and outside the car.

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium+ Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
^^^^^^ What he said!
Aftermarket downpipe and stock exhaust is the way to go.
Unless you want to have ridiculous noise inside and outside the car.
I had issues with ridiculous noise and vibrations after upgrading my exhaust also. Once I turned of the active noise cancellation with Forscan, all was good. Turns out the system is "tuned" to our exhaust and it wasn't able to compensate for the increased volume and different harmonics of the new racing exhaust system. I was determined not to go backwards to OEM.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I had issues with ridiculous noise and vibrations after upgrading my exhaust also. Once I turned of the active noise cancellation with Forscan, all was good. Turns out the system is "tuned" to our exhaust and it wasn't able to compensate for the increased volume and different harmonics of the new racing exhaust system. I was determined not to go backwards to OEM.
How does the forscan work? Would you have to go to the dealer?

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium+ Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
How does the forscan work? Would you have to go to the dealer?
This forum thread in the DIY section has all the info to get started in the 1st post. The thread is a long read, but is mostly everyone trying to figure out the AS-Built data functionality and people asking the same questions over and over rather than reading. I used it to turn off the active noise cancellation and the annoying double honk when you get out of the car when its running with the fob. The software is a free download and all you need to buy is the OBD Scan Tool which I got off Amazon. I opted for the bluetooth version so I wouldn't have to be tethered to the car with a cable.
Sponsored