Sponsored

Track Pads Really this loud?

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
So after I've bedded in my racing pads/rotors they are a little loud, but after my first track event with them they are super loud. While braking they create a loud drone/rumble/low vibration and I'm wondering from those who run track setups if they are generally pretty loud when braking or if I should try to resurface the rotors. I know there is a higher metallic compound in race pads and metal on metal is going to make a lot more of a harsh noise. Just nervous about resurfacing the rotors since I just put on 1300 dollar rotors and there doesn't seem to be a lot of pad material on them. Dont know who to trust to resurface them without taking off a lot of material.

Seems to be coming primarily from the front. No squeal, shimmy ect. Slight vibration just from the low rumble sound/drone while braking moderately increasing in volume with increase to heavy braking.

Setup
2018 GT PP1 Brembos
Steeda 2 piece Slotted Rotors all 4 corners
Powerstop Track day pads all 4 corners
Motul 600 fluid
Ford track Pack suspension
Diff bushings/Steeda subframe bushing support system.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Taylor1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
To my knowledge, these pads aren’t that aggressive. Yes your aggressive track pads are noisy when cold, but aren’t too terrible once hot. If you dual purpose track pads (DD them) on the street they will be pretty loud, but in my experience after a hot lap, I dont hear the pads very much on the track and Ive ran Carbotech XP10s, 12s, Hawk DTC-70’s, Cobalt XR3’s, and Pagid RSL 29’s

Taylor1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Did you seat new pads to new rotors? Ive never felt vibrations from a new set up through the wheel. The car itself might sway a bit back and forth on the front end if your suspension is soft compared to the pad choice, but again, I dont think your pad is ver aggressive.

OP
OP

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Yes I seated the pads before the track event. I'll take the wheel off for a better pic but again, doesn't seem like there is excess pad material on the rotors. Prob need to be resurfaced. I'll see if it's better/worse after my next track event in a week.
20190413_211503.jpg

Taylor1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Well it looks like you drove it hard. I dont think they need to be turned or resurfaced. Maybe BMacIL will chime in. He would know more than I would.

Sponsored

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Did you follow the bedding in procedure on the box?

When I installed Powerstop Track Day pads they were quiet and smooth until they wore down, then they started to squeal occasionally. Only downside was brake dust in daily driving.

OP
OP

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Break in called for 10 stops 60-10 and 10 80-10. I got prob 8-10 60-10 and 6ish 80-10 stops due to city road limitations. I do think abs came on a good bit and that can leave spots on the rotors. I know I trigger abs a ton on the track. Need to work on threshhold braking. Close up examination revealed a strange cracking fractal design (of pad material?) between the slots though. Kinda wierd looking. Pics attacked with a flashlight at a hard angle so they would show up.
None of the bolts joining hat to disk look to be backing out. Torque on caliper bracket are good. Pads at prob 60 70 percent. Rotors one track day and maybe 250 miles dd.
The dust is pretty stupid on these powerstop pads. Im not sure if I'm gonna be able to handle it.
20190415_183547.jpg
20190415_183521.jpg

Bumzo1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT PP
I run the powerstop pads and haven't had any issues with noise or vibration with street and track use. I like the pad's performance but the rotors wear at about the same rate as the pads. I'm okay with this because standard rotors and these pads are still cheaper than a set of G-locs, but with $1300 rotors I for sure would pony up the extra and get G-loc pads that aren't going to eat the rotors in a year. The cracking you see is pretty normal for a car used on the track and is fine as long as they don't start to grow into a long crack.

OP
OP

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
K thanks for the replys. Dunno why they are so dang loud. Just had another track event and they were loud again. Preform great, just noisy. Took it to the race shop at the track and they looked it over quickly to make sure they didn't see any issues. I prob will move over to something different. Do t mind the noise at the track but DD they are just to loud.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Try putting the stock rotors on to see if that deep rumble goes away.

Sponsored
OP
OP

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Try putting the stock rotors on to see if that deep rumble goes away.
I may do that. I coated them in oil for storage and threw them in the garage. If it ended up being the rotors I dunno what to do about it. The connecting bolts all look snug. Not sure what could cause the noise.

OnTrack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Ruby Red
There are no compromises when it comes to track. I am guessing we are talking about a road race pad, but do not know many that run powerstops. The stress marks are not concerning, but keep an eye on them over time to ensure they don't extend through the material. Road race pads are loud on the street and sound like a school bus. When race pads are cold (Street driving) they are not at their ideal range and are abrasive against rotors. At best, swap rotors and keep the same pad material bedded to each compound for consistency.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Break in called for 10 stops 60-10 and 10 80-10. I got prob 8-10 60-10 and 6ish 80-10 stops due to city road limitations. I do think abs came on a good bit and that can leave spots on the rotors. I know I trigger abs a ton on the track. Need to work on threshhold braking. Close up examination revealed a strange cracking fractal design (of pad material?) between the slots though. Kinda wierd looking. Pics attacked with a flashlight at a hard angle so they would show up.
None of the bolts joining hat to disk look to be backing out. Torque on caliper bracket are good. Pads at prob 60 70 percent. Rotors one track day and maybe 250 miles dd.
The dust is pretty stupid on these powerstop pads. Im not sure if I'm gonna be able to handle it.
20190415_183547.jpg
20190415_183521.jpg
That is pretty normal for rotors to look like that after track use. So long as it doesn't grow into larger, deeper cracks that extend outward, you're OK.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I may do that. I coated them in oil for storage and threw them in the garage. If it ended up being the rotors I dunno what to do about it. The connecting bolts all look snug. Not sure what could cause the noise.
You did WHAT???

OP
OP

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
You did WHAT???
I put a light coat of oil on them to prevent surface rust. Didn't know how long they would sit if I ever needed them again. They would just need to be cleaned off.
Sponsored