0-60 Times

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
I've always been a 'handling and cornering' type of driver and, having worked on a few cars and doing a lot of highway driving on remote roads--in a couple old British sports cars no less--I've been really conscious to not manhandle a car or break anything (my '08 Bullitt had the original brakes and clutch when I traded it in at 135K miles). Plus, I never went to the strip so had no way to get accurate 0-60 times but my '19 Bullitt has 'Acceleration Timers' so I've started to see what kind of time I can wring out of it. I live in a fairly congested area, but there's a little stretch, about a half-mile, of straight country road where I lived years ago. I have to catch the road when there's no local traffic on it, and start my run beyond the local residences, and I have to slow quickly because there's a dairy at the end and I have to beware of tractors--or cows!--popping out of nowhere.

Anyway--promise not to laugh--best I've gotten so far is 5.6s. I've tried Sport+, Normal and Drag modes and, believe it or not got that time in Normal and Sport. I know the Coyote doesn't have a lot of low-end grunt so I usually rev to 4 or 5K RPM, then dump the clutch (OK, I don't really dump it because I've rebuilt a couple gearboxes and know how fragile they are, and I habitually 'pass through neutral'). Also, I don't spin the rears because, well, I think burnouts are silly--my opinion only--and new rear tires are around $500ea and I probably won't get 20K miles on them anyway (and not interested in 'Launch Mode'). When I need a new set of rears anyway I might try to burn a little rubber, just to say I did.

So, any tips on how I can bring that time down (besides 'get an automatic')? I'd be happy to get under 5s then call it a day; I think the locals on that little road may be getting wise to me.
Sponsored

17Ruby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2013 4Runner, 2015 BMW 328i
4.8 With Nitto 305s on the back. I don’t try very often though. Also I would go about 2-3 RPM doing my best to work the peddle as not to spin to much. Once I hit about 30 it’s full gas.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I've always been a 'handling and cornering' type of driver and, having worked on a few cars and doing a lot of highway driving on remote roads--in a couple old British sports cars no less--I've been really conscious to not manhandle a car or break anything (my '08 Bullitt had the original brakes and clutch when I traded it in at 135K miles). Plus, I never went to the strip so had no way to get accurate 0-60 times but my '19 Bullitt has 'Acceleration Timers' so I've started to see what kind of time I can wring out of it. I live in a fairly congested area, but there's a little stretch, about a half-mile, of straight country road where I lived years ago. I have to catch the road when there's no local traffic on it, and start my run beyond the local residences, and I have to slow quickly because there's a dairy at the end and I have to beware of tractors--or cows!--popping out of nowhere.

Anyway--promise not to laugh--best I've gotten so far is 5.6s. I've tried Sport+, Normal and Drag modes and, believe it or not got that time in Normal and Sport. I know the Coyote doesn't have a lot of low-end grunt so I usually rev to 4 or 5K RPM, then dump the clutch (OK, I don't really dump it because I've rebuilt a couple gearboxes and know how fragile they are, and I habitually 'pass through neutral'). Also, I don't spin the rears because, well, I think burnouts are silly--my opinion only--and new rear tires are around $500ea and I probably won't get 20K miles on them anyway (and not interested in 'Launch Mode'). When I need a new set of rears anyway I might try to burn a little rubber, just to say I did.

So, any tips on how I can bring that time down (besides 'get an automatic')? I'd be happy to get under 5s then call it a day; I think the locals on that little road may be getting wise to me.
It's built to take it.

Try 3,800rpms and dumping faster... and threading/feathering that slip to full throttle....

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Try 2000 rpms in drag mode then see how it does. Also drive around for a little bit first to warm the tires up.

Sponsored

abmobil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD 13 Nissan Titan Wknd ride 17 Mustang GT
Best I've done per the on board timer is 4.8 sec. That was in temps under 40 with the Base GT 235 Pzeros, and 3.31 gears. Car had around 2500 miles.

I dump the clutch around 2200 rpm.

OP
OP
Bullitt0819

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Thanks for the tips, guys. The residents on my little country road 'strip' haven't seen/heard me for a while, I'll give it some more goes with your suggestions. BTW, I think the Bullitt comes std. with a 373:1 rear end--my '08 did--so I know I should be doing better.

Last edited:

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't tried the Track Apps timer. How does it work? Does the timing start when the car moves? Seems to me there is likely enough slop in the system to account for quite a bit of the differences among drivers and cars.

Can anyone suggest what relationship there might be between the on-board timer readouts and actual on-track measurements of zero-to-sixty-foot times?

OP
OP
Bullitt0819

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Working form memory (may have some terms slightly wrong, consult your owner's manual):

1) Track Apps->Acceleration Timer(s)->0-30, 0-60, etc.
2) Prompt: 'Press OK to Start'
3) (come to stop) Prompt: 'Accelerate to Start' (or similar)

Since the on-board timer is based on the speedo readout (presumably), there could be some variances due to new/worn tire diameters, etc., so I think on-track measurements are probably slightly more accurate.

Sponsored

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I do about 2k and I don't dump the clutch, best I got was 4.6

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
A little clutch slip will keep the tires from shocking loose and the engine bogging at lower RPM. If you launch too high in the RPM you’re going to spin.

I wouldn’t say these are easy cars to launch, especially depending on the tires you have out back.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Forget the 0-60 thing. It’s pointless. 10-80 is much more fun and cheaper on tyres. I have a lovely stretch of in lined country road with no traffic on my way to work starting from a T junction. I get it rolling in second then floor it to 8000 in third before hitting the anchors before the 30mph village. It’s bliss and sees something near 100 leptons on the dial... however briefly :)

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Yup^
Stated this several times, and that 0mph ~ accelerations doesn't demonstrate as much street prowess, as a blast from 15mph~ does. I would like to see a 15mph ~ 80mph as standardize performance testing. It is less about the driver and more about the car's abilities.

And for good measure 70mph ~ 120mph blast...

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
Yup^
Stated this several times, and that 0mph ~ accelerations doesn't demonstrate as much street prowess, as a blast from 15mph~ does. I would like to see a 15mph ~ 80mph as standardize performance testing. It is less about the driver and more about the car's abilities.

And for good measure 70mph ~ 120mph blast...
I think the 0-60 magazine tests favor cars with launch control and automatics. C/D publishes a 5-60, which they say measures "flexibility." But at least that test doesn't favor a fancy dual clutch Porsche or a Mercedes automatic held against the torque converter. The 5-60 is more like a roll out from a stoplight and suddenly deciding to stomp on on it. You'll see some cars with a fast 0-60 fall apart in the 5-60 when they are small displacement and/or not up on boost yet, though not the Mustang Ecoboost which does pretty good actually.
Sponsored