Driver side arm rest squeak?

Chaos_Agent

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red Premium GT
Among the disappointing issues I'm seeing on my 2017 GT is a squeak when I rest my arm on the driver side door arm rest.

Anyone else hear this and taken it to the dealer?

I checked the right door arm rest and it squeaks but it's much less noticeable.
Just to make sure I'm not hearing things, I checked a couple of other cars (GMC, Honda) and they do not squeak. My 2006 GT that I traded for this 2017 did not do this.

This squeak may bother me more than all the other interior issues.

My GT has 4000 miles.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Retroflect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I have this issue as well, it sounds as if it's coming from right underneath the elbow. It's as if someone put all their weight on that shitty plastic trying to adjust themselves in the seat. I assumed it was from a tech during an oil change or something. I haven't been to the dealer about it though.

akl777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Akhil
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Ecobeast PP 2016
Having the same issue on the drivers side arm rest. Were you able to resolve the issue/noise?

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
My 2018 GT does the same. Its the high quality plastic used that causes this sound and is a feature.

OP
OP
Chaos_Agent

Chaos_Agent

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red Premium GT
Among the disappointing issues I'm seeing on my 2017 GT is a squeak when I rest my arm on the driver side door arm rest.

Anyone else hear this and taken it to the dealer?

I checked the right door arm rest and it squeaks but it's much less noticeable.
Just to make sure I'm not hearing things, I checked a couple of other cars (GMC, Honda) and they do not squeak. My 2006 GT that I traded for this 2017 did not do this.

This squeak may bother me more than all the other interior issues.

My GT has 4000 miles.
Apologies for not replying to the recent posts until now.
I did resolve the issue... I traded the 2017 Silver GT for 2017 Ruby Red GT Premium. :-)

Before I traded the Silver, I went back to dealer and sat in several Mustangs. This was a couple years ago.
— ALL — of the cars on the dealers lot had the issue. Except the Premium Mustangs with leather.
Its not the only reason I traded up to the Premium. I just never really “bonded” with the Silver GT.
I figured if I making a payment, might as well make one for a car I love.

Sorry, I know this is not much help.

Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

The original door panels in my EB base didn't do this, but the new panels, sourced from a wrecked GT premium, have the squeak. I thought I screwed something up when I put them on.

Deleted member 35786

Yea mine squeak too in my 17 GT Premium. I really dont notice it anymore. As long as I just rest my arm on there its fine. When I push on it or move around by applying a little pressure, it squeaks. Oh well.. 1st world problems I guess.. lol

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
When the weather is warm, something in my driver door panel (GT Premium) tends to have a creak or squeak in it. Sounds like plastic rubbing on vinyl or leather. It will do it "spontaneously" when it's been in the sunshine and is cooling down as I drive with AC.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Pull the door panels off.

Get 10x10 felt squares at your local craft store (AC Moore or Michaels or JoAnn Fabrics) you want the ones with adhesive backing; cut sections to go over any of the clip securing holes in actual door shell (cut holes in felt afterwards to allow clips to go back into the hole). Also place the felt over or under any wire harnesses and any place plastic or metal can make contact onto the door shell.

It’s something Ford should have done, but didn’t... that will quell most of the annoying door panel creaks/squeaks/vibes.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
When the weather is warm, something in my driver door panel (GT Premium) tends to have a creak or squeak in it. Sounds like plastic rubbing on vinyl or leather. It will do it "spontaneously" when it's been in the sunshine and is cooling down as I drive with AC.
On extremely hot days, mine does the same thing.

Sponsored

Retroflect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I had to take the panel off and put foam padding under mine. Thought I was just unlucky until I saw this thread. Same deal though, almost like the plastic becomes brittle in the heat under the elbow and creaks with any weight/pressure. Just used 1" thick AC foam from home depot, comes in a big strip. I don't hear it anymore.

Deleted member 35786

I had to take the panel off and put foam padding under mine. Thought I was just unlucky until I saw this thread. Same deal though, almost like the plastic becomes brittle in the heat under the elbow and creaks with any weight/pressure. Just used 1" thick AC foam from home depot, comes in a big strip. I don't hear it anymore.
Please show link or pics on install...

Retroflect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I don't have the car anymore to be honest, nor did I document it. I followed a youtube video for removal. I had a set of plastic pry tools left over from another project that I used to pop up the armrest cover to get at that screw, as well as the hidden one behind the door handle panel. You'll want something similar, that plastic is soft.

I duct taped this foam from home depot under the arm rest on the back side. I'll be the first to tell you it didn't look professional from the inside.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-K...y-Air-Conditioner-Weatherseal-AC42H/100059869
Again, total novice job but it worked and I was sick of hearing it on hot days.

Edit: Just looked in the garage and I used 2 1/4" foam. This caused the plastic door panel to bulge a 1/4" by the door latch if I remember right. That's why I initially linked the smaller size foam. That resistance may or may not have helped some. Not a pro though, just a guy on the internet. Hopefully that helps, if only a little.

windsorblackstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Mustang Convertible
Pull the door panels off.

Get 10x10 felt squares at your local craft store (AC Moore or Michaels or JoAnn Fabrics) you want the ones with adhesive backing; cut sections to go over any of the clip securing holes in actual door shell (cut holes in felt afterwards to allow clips to go back into the hole). Also place the felt over or under any wire harnesses and any place plastic or metal can make contact onto the door shell.

It’s something Ford should have done, but didn’t... that will quell most of the annoying door panel creaks/squeaks/vibes.

The problem is that the section where you want/need to put the felt in is covered by another white, translucent plastic shell that's impossible to get off without damaging because it's attached by plastic rivets/seals. There's an insert with tabs that's right at the bottom, where you would put the insert, but it's only removable if that translucent plastic shell is pulled off, ergo, causing damage.

Have you seen one, taken it apart and applied your steps? If so, I'd like to know how so that I can do it. I went to the dollar store and got felt, only to find that, after having the door panel off for an hour, your instructions kinda of came to a dead end...

windsorblackstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Mustang Convertible
How did you get the white, translucent plastic shell off of the door panel? I see a piece, that has tabs, to where I might put some fabric in, but I can't figure out how to get in it without damaging that big white plastic piece.
Sponsored