Sponsored

PP2 compared to c7 corvette

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Went and drove the pp2 yesterday to be honest felt very sluggish compared to my gs. To be fair my gs has arh headers and mid pipe and intake makes a little over 500hp. My biggest mistake was driving a used gt350 they had m. That thing hauls from 3500 rpm to 8300. No way I’d be satisfied now with anything but the Shelby.
For the price change in the Shelby I don't think its worth it over the PP2 unless the Shelby is used. I've seen new Premium PP2's on lots for 45k. It's about a 40WHP difference, and for well under 10k MSRP difference you can make that up on the GT and be making more TQ. Headers, midpipe, e85 and you're at 500wheel already. Still well under the price of the GT350, with money left to sink into suspension.

I think its really the added coolers , and better gearing that make the GT350 the better track car, its not really about power.
Sponsored

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Went and drove the pp2 yesterday to be honest felt very sluggish compared to my gs. To be fair my gs has arh headers and mid pipe and intake makes a little over 500hp. My biggest mistake was driving a used gt350 they had m. That thing hauls from 3500 rpm to 8300. No way I’d be satisfied now with anything but the Shelby.
Even if your GS was stock, the Mustang will feel sluggish. 500 pounds more weight, plus the longer gearing of the MT82D4 wil cause that. Gt350 sounds like the car for you...or a c7.

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
If you aren't tracking the car I'm not sure there would be any real noticeable difference on the street. I'm not saying the PP2 is going to keep up with the Vette but the PP2 has plenty of grip to make it an exceptional street car IMHO.

Even with the SC2's taken off the PP2 is VERY stout in "Track" mode. The magneride does an awesome job keeping the car sorted and 460 HP is more than enough to enjoy on the street.

I would say test drive one and see for yourself. I certainly wouldn't describe the PP2 as a gimmick car. It is a very well sorted "parts bin" car from Ford. I wish there was a power difference between it and the other GT's but it honestly isn't needed to have a fun street car.

I also wouldn't get held up over tires. If you want full grip yeah run the SC2's. If not take them off, sell them, and put some PS4S's on and enjoy the car.
I like your description of the PP2 as being a "very well sorted "parts bin" car"...
Good way to put it.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
For the price change in the Shelby I don't think its worth it over the PP2 unless the Shelby is used. I've seen new Premium PP2's on lots for 45k. It's about a 40WHP difference, and for well under 10k MSRP difference you can make that up on the GT and be making more TQ. Headers, midpipe, e85 and you're at 500wheel already. Still well under the price of the GT350, with money left to sink into suspension.

I think its really the added coolers , and better gearing that make the GT350 the better track car, its not really about power.
The Shelby is about as quick as the PP2 with tires that last a lot longer and won't throw rocks all over your paint. It also depends on how much you like the Voodoo, and those other factors, IMO.

If it's about saving money going with a used vehicle rather than new could help, I agree. Obviously money isn't a big deal for him though - he owns a C7 GS and is ready to get rid of it for something new. And he has said that performance is the important factor. If money was super important he could buy a 2003 Cobra or something to save even more money.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
The Shelby is about as quick as the PP2 with tires that last a lot longer and won't throw rocks all over your paint. It also depends on how much you like the Voodoo, and those other factors, IMO.

If it's about saving money going with a used vehicle rather than new could help, I agree. Obviously money isn't a big deal for him though - he owns a C7 GS and is ready to get rid of it for something new. And he has said that performance is the important factor. If money was super important he could buy a 2003 Cobra or something to save even more money.
I wasnt talking about new vs Used though. New vs New there is almost a 15k Price difference in the prices I've seen on local dealers with the PP2 and GT350.I guess it comes down to, would you rather have a PP2 with 15k in mods that you've purpose picked that out handles/accelerates a GT350, or would you rather have a GT350. Just down to personal preference.

Sponsored

OP
OP

15_gtpp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB gt pp
The gt350 is used with 1500mi. About a 10 k difference vs pp2

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Has anyone driven both and can compare I have driven a c7 but not a pp2 as no dealerships really have them sitting on the lot.
I've driven both - I have a PP2, and rented a c7 for a week (non-Z51 car). The Vette is in a whole different class. Lighter, lower, more aerodynamic, better weight distribution. The PP2 is the Uber GT, but a very different experience.

gmuffley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350 Wimbledon White Heritage Edition
I came from a 2007 C6Z06 and my present car is a 2019 PP 2. The Z06 was faster due to its lighter weight. The PP 2 does an amazing job of "hiding" its weight due to the 305 meats up front. The PP 2 is more enjoyable to drive and is damn near as good on the twisties. The PP 2 actually out duels the Z06 on the skid pad and it is only in the quick transitions that the lighter Z06 is slightly superior. The PP 2 is an amazing car for the $41K, all included, price compared to the $75K I paid for the Z06 12 years ago.

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I came from a 2007 C6Z06 and my present car is a 2019 PP 2. The Z06 was faster due to its lighter weight. The PP 2 does an amazing job of "hiding" its weight due to the 305 meats up front. The PP 2 is more enjoyable to drive and is damn near as good on the twisties. The PP 2 actually out duels the Z06 on the skid pad and it is only in the quick transitions that the lighter Z06 is slightly superior. The PP 2 is an amazing car for the $41K, all included, price compared to the $75K I paid for the Z06 12 years ago.
Lighter weight, more power, better balance, much lower center of gravity, and huge rubber. That being said, the fact that we are comparing it to a PP2 goes to show how far technology has come in 10 years.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I wasnt talking about new vs Used though. New vs New there is almost a 15k Price difference in the prices I've seen on local dealers with the PP2 and GT350.I guess it comes down to, would you rather have a PP2 with 15k in mods that you've purpose picked that out handles/accelerates a GT350, or would you rather have a GT350. Just down to personal preference.
I wouldn't want to sink 15K into a car, especially if I somewhat regularly get tired of what I'm driving and decide to switch. 15k in mods is a lot to throw away and then you will lose it in resale. I think the better move is to not worry - buy what you want and know there are going to be faster vehicles out there. Just accept that the GT350 is a little quicker and keep the money in your pocket. I doubt you will get the PP2 to out handle the GT350 anyway - at least not if you still want to enjoy daily driving it.

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I wouldn't want to sink 15K into a car, especially if I somewhat regularly get tired of what I'm driving and decide to switch. 15k in mods is a lot to throw away and then you will lose it in resale. I think the better move is to not worry - buy what you want and know there are going to be faster vehicles out there. Just accept that the GT350 is a little quicker and keep the money in your pocket. I doubt you will get the PP2 to out handle the GT350 anyway - at least not if you still want to enjoy daily driving it.
You can probably just take out the back seats, put on the Ford Performance handling kit(which is also an upgrade for the GT350), and a few Steeda bushings/braces and still have a great daily that will out handle a GT350. If you do the work yourself you'll be in for under 2K. You can add another 2K if you wanna change fluids and add a diff cooler. The GT350 isn't magical.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You can probably just take out the back seats, put on the Ford Performance handling kit(which is also an upgrade for the GT350), and a few Steeda bushings/braces and still have a great daily that will out handle a GT350. If you do the work yourself you'll be in for under 2K. You can add another 2K if you wanna change fluids and add a diff cooler. The GT350 isn't magical.
Why throw that money away? Usually from a money standpoint you will be better off just buying what you want rather than spending money for aftermarket modifications. I agree the GT350 isn't magical, but it does have quite a few differences over the GT that help it perform better.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
It is the time to get a c7. Huge discounts. Even 1 or 2 year old less than 10,000 miles on the odo, you can find for low 40’s. Base package 1lt is the lightest with 3300 lbs. You should feel the difference between the two since vette is a lot lighter and have more low end torque. Manual though stay away. There is no mechanical feel to it. More like rubbery. A8 is the way to go.

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
I'll throw my hat into the ring since I have one of these gimicky vehicles. Why not consider a used Cadillac CTS-V? Street performance, plus 4 doors to expand the fam.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
It is the time to get a c7. Huge discounts. Even 1 or 2 year old less than 10,000 miles on the odo, you can find for low 40’s. Base package 1lt is the lightest with 3300 lbs. You should feel the difference between the two since vette is a lot lighter and have more low end torque. Manual though stay away. There is no mechanical feel to it. More like rubbery. A8 is the way to go.
Some with a few more miles are even creeping into the high 30's now.
Sponsored