Just started the dreaded tick.

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
Put a supercharger on it. Should drown out the sound. Problem solved.
Sponsored

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
I personally think "snake oil" additives are a BS band aid solution. I know this particular one has wide acceptance here but none the less. Hard to imagine Ford put Z-max (more snake oil) in and documented that? WTF??
While it may be a band aid, as you say, do you have a better option besides getting a built shortblock? My noise is gone for now, and many have had success with it.

MKMotorsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Convertible
While it may be a band aid, as you say, do you have a better option besides getting a built shortblock
I don't. Oddly enough mine developed an intermittent BBQ tick @45k miles- but I've also been tuned since the get go and have many hundreds of track passes on mine, so I accept responsibility for it. I know others are having the noise stock/no competition driving, so maybe not a fair comparison. I take interest in the threads in case anyone finds a cause or fix, not to hate.

Mine I'll run 'till it spits the rods out, then drop a new long block in it. I realize that isn't an acceptable solution for many people. Carry on....

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
I don't. Oddly enough mine developed an intermittent BBQ tick @45k miles- but I've also been tuned since the get go and have many hundreds of track passes on mine, so I accept responsibility for it. I know others are having the noise stock/no competition driving, so maybe not a fair comparison. I take interest in the threads in case anyone finds a cause or fix, not to hate.

Mine I'll run 'till it spits the rods out, then drop a new long block in it. I realize that isn't an acceptable solution for many people. Carry on....
I agree - just not many options out there. I find it amazing that many of them still take a beating, despite the noises. I don't think the responsibility for the tick is yours. Too many people have it, regardless of how they treat the car.

MKMotorsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Convertible
I agree - just not many options out there. I find it amazing that many of them still take a beating, despite the noises. I don't think the responsibility for the tick is yours. Too many people have it, regardless of how they treat the car.

Agreed, I think it is probably a combination of things causing it, hence why there isn't a definite solution. Mine is worse with the A/C on, and worse after an oil change (despite pre-filling filter, trying many different high quality filters and oils) which seems to follow the general characteristics reported by S550 owners as well.

I think it is likely either the crank end play clearance opening up, or rods bolts losing tension. Mine developed after a drive where I threw several aggressive downshifts- oddly enough this was well after I had stopped actively tracking it, so I don't believe the track runs or tune were contributing factors. Mine literally started after that specific drive. The excessive crank end play would also explain why differing accessory belt drive loads (A/C) on/off for example, could cause the noise to come and go as the crank walks back an forth slightly with light load. My .02....

But back to the OP's topic- Mostly shocked Ford documented putting an oil additive in (other than their XL-17...)

Sponsored

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
9000 miles RHD.
I was aware of the ticking issue and my first service was due but i had no issues before or after the service.I checked at the dealers and no ticking but the engine was warm.So a month later i now have the irregular tick at the bottom.On start up i cant hear anything then within 30 secs i will hear a singular "ting" then it gets more frequent.The engine reaches temperature and the revs die down it goes away.I will get this documented at the dealorship but i know they will tell me its normal.

RubyRed2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2018 MustangGT Premium
I bought my car used with 9000 miles on it. engine was replaced at 3000 miles before I got it because of piston slap. paperwork shows dealer changed oil at 9000 miles with Pennzoil 5w-20 and a bottle of Zmax. I have 13000 miles on it now. never had a tick in the engine til today I changed the oil. I put Valvoline 5w30 and a bottle of zmax. now its ticking at lite revs from 1500- 2500. so now what should I do?
I had heard that the "tick" was a noise that the fuel delivery system is making.

JRuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I bought my car used with 9000 miles on it. engine was replaced at 3000 miles before I got it because of piston slap. paperwork shows dealer changed oil at 9000 miles with Pennzoil 5w-20 and a bottle of Zmax. I have 13000 miles on it now. never had a tick in the engine til today I changed the oil. I put Valvoline 5w30 and a bottle of zmax. now its ticking at lite revs from 1500- 2500. so now what should I do?
What was tour logic to going to 5w30 and Zmax?

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I had heard that the "tick" was a noise that the fuel delivery system is making.
Considering 2015-2017 cars were not direct injected, that's not the case. My tick came from the bottom end of the car.

The 2018 ones also don't sound like DI noises. They also don't sound like HPFP. If it was the fuel delivery system, it would tick and rattle from day 1, not start randomly 1k mile later.

OP
OP
liv2roc

liv2roc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt/cs ,2004 Mustang Mach1, 1984 mustang gt 350
What was tour logic to going to 5w30 and Zmax?
I put Valvoline 5w30 in it just because thats what I've always run in my 04 mach 1 and put zmax in because dealer did when I bought it.

Sponsored

RaceRed17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP Race Red
On my '17 GT I didn't get a tick until I switched to synthetic oil on my second oil change FWIW. The tick lasted 2-3k miles the first time, then faded away. Now at 36k miles, it still gets a tick after an oil change, but isn't nearly as noticeable. It also goes away faster. For example, while in drive-thru's I don't hear it at all, whereas before it was obnoxious.

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
My 2018 GT started ticking at the first oil change at 500 miles. I'm approaching 7,500 miles (over 6,000 supercharged) and the tick is nearly undetectable when cold and nonexistent warm/hot. I'm simply using Mobil 1 5/30 and a pint of Schaeffers Moly EP. I tried this additive after a mechanic I know swore by the stuff. I actually put in a half a pint and noticed an immediate difference. I've since changed the oil again and added the entire pint bottle. I'm about 3,000 miles on this oil and am planning to change it again this weekend. I know a lot of people use the Ceretek with great results as well, but I wasn't a fan of oil that looks like a frapaccino.

https://www.amazon.com/Schaeffer-Ma...ocphy=9030000&hvtargid=pla-373917349874&psc=1

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
My 2018 GT started ticking at the first oil change at 500 miles. I'm approaching 7,500 miles (over 6,000 supercharged) and the tick is nearly undetectable when cold and nonexistent warm/hot. I'm simply using Mobil 1 5/30 and a pint of Schaeffers Moly EP. I tried this additive after a mechanic I know swore by the stuff. I actually put in a half a pint and noticed an immediate difference. I've since changed the oil again and added the entire pint bottle. I'm about 3,000 miles on this oil and am planning to change it again this weekend. I know a lot of people use the Ceretek with great results as well, but I wasn't a fan of oil that looks like a frapaccino.

https://www.amazon.com/Schaeffer-Ma...ocphy=9030000&hvtargid=pla-373917349874&psc=1
I ran Mobile 1, 5w-30 plus 1 can of Ceratec for 8300mi on last oil change. Color of used oil was normal...Looked like used motor oil. No tick either during this time.

SuperDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
My 2018 GT PP1 A10 does not have the tick, I use 5-30w Motorcraft Blend as recommended for track use, NO additives, I did switch to the Ford Performance Oil Filter M-6731-FL820. I do not drive this car on the street much at all as I still have no points on my DL and want to keep it that way. People talk about breaking in the engine, I have always believed in, break in an engine the way you are going to drive it. After about the 1st 100 miles on the car, the car has seen 6k shifting on a regular basis. I have over 3k track miles on it now and the thing is a rock, never a issue. I do trailer this car to and from the track. Also, I do change the oil after the 3rd HPDE day, Oil still looks great.... But, Oil is cheap!!!!

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
My 2018 GT PP1 A10 does not have the tick, I use 5-30w Motorcraft Blend as recommended for track use, NO additives, I did switch to the Ford Performance Oil Filter M-6731-FL820. I do not drive this car on the street much at all as I still have no points on my DL and want to keep it that way. People talk about breaking in the engine, I have always believed in, break in an engine the way you are going to drive it. After about the 1st 100 miles on the car, the car has seen 6k shifting on a regular basis. I have over 3k track miles on it now and the thing is a rock, never a issue. I do trailer this car to and from the track. Also, I do change the oil after the 3rd HPDE day, Oil still looks great.... But, Oil is cheap!!!!
I know this breaking in is a taboo topic because everyone has their way of going about it, but I agree with you on driving it hard after the first hundred or so miles. These engines are built with the idea of being driven hard and it seems right to drive them as such fairly early on in their life. Anyway, good for you that your's doesnt tick etc. I have 24K + miles on my 2018 GT and use PUP 5w-30 now and no tick either. It use to tick a lot with 5w-20 until I added ceratec at about 13K miles. Once I switched to 5w-30 around 17K miles and NO ceratec, the engine has been quiet and I hope it stays that way.
Sponsored