Sponsored

Has anyone tried a tomtop unit in a 2019?

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
Does anyone know if the tomtop unit will work in a 2019? Reason I ask is cause the 2019 has a slightly different base radio than the 2015-18, there is no CD. I was hoping someone knew for sure so I don't throw away $300 if it won't work.
Sponsored

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
Not to sound like an ahole, but there are a lot more better options than that for just a little more coin, or maybe Sync 3 conversion. However, hoping a '19 owner can chime in...maybe contact the seller?

Last edited:
OP
OP

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
I prefer the tomtop cause it keeps the stock look. Unless you know of another aftermarket unit that also keeps the stock look? And the sync 3 conversion is ridiculously expensive, isn't it like $1800?

The tomtop seller claims it will only work on a 2015-17 but people have installed these in 2018s without a problem so the seller doesn't know what he's talking about. The seller is in china and has probably never even seen a mustang.

I guess I might be the first with a 2019 who wants a tomtop... if after a while nobody replies here saying they tried it and it didn't work, then I guess I will be the guinea pig and order it and report back on my success. But I was really hoping someone else had tried it before me.

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
The total cost of the Sync 3 conversion would depend on the options you want. Message @HextallS550, that's who I went through. They are very thorough and provide really outstanding service. Being it's a 19, you may be right in the expense because I do remember him saying the 19 parts are a little difficult to source since it's so new.

Odox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Javier
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I got the Seicane Android unit in my 2018, I think its the same look as tomtop but a bit better.

Sponsored

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Ford Flex Ecoboost, 2013 Focus ST, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
I got the Seicane Android unit in my 2018, I think its the same look as tomtop but a bit better.
Did you get the 10 inch 8.1 android one? I'm trying to research what to do to upgrade the 4.2 inch screen. What factory features did you lose? Voice command? backup camera guidelines?

OP
OP

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
I don't believe so, the tomtop preserves the factory volume and tune knobs while that 10 inch android unit does not.

Odox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Javier
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Did you get the 10 inch 8.1 android one? I'm trying to research what to do to upgrade the 4.2 inch screen. What factory features did you lose? Voice command? backup camera guidelines?
Yes I have that one, I lost voice and the mode button on steering wheel, that's about it.

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Ford Flex Ecoboost, 2013 Focus ST, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
Yes I have that one, I lost voice and the mode button on steering wheel, that's about it.
I emailed seicane, they said it wouldn't fof 2018 base gt. That's what you have right? How annoying is the boot?

Odox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Javier
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I emailed seicane, they said it wouldn't fof 2018 base gt. That's what you have right? How annoying is the boot?
I actually have a 2018 Ecoboost Base. The boot is around 25 seconds, you get used to it lol

Sponsored

Dan2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Does anyone know if the tomtop unit will work in a 2019? Reason I ask is cause the 2019 has a slightly different base radio than the 2015-18, there is no CD. I was hoping someone knew for sure so I don't throw away $300 if it won't work.
I have a 2019 GT; I tried and ended-up shipping it back. Going with a unit from @HextallS550 on this forum, they are excellent to talk with and very responsive if you PM them / E-mail; even talked with over the phone. Send him a PM.

For my TomTop experience on the 2019, even though the front of the base 4.2" radio looks the same, when I pulled the Bezel Head /Unit; the setup behind the unit was different than in the install videos that I found online of the TomTop Units.

In the TomTop install videos, there's a wire harness that plugs into back of the 4.2" radio where you would swap out with the new screen. That same wire harness on the 2019 plugs into Ford's APIM first, and then from there has a different connector which plugs into the 4.2" screen that wasn't the same as the TomTop's unit.

The TomTop came off e-bay... maybe I was missing some of the wire harnesses in my package; not sure. After I returned, I ended-up finding this form and @HextallS550.

OP
OP

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
Thank you for that info, just saved me $300.

I have seen the thread about the sync 3 swap but it's just too expensive for me right now. I guess I'll just stick with the stock 4" screen and get a cell phone mount for my phone for navigation.

Hopefully in the future tomtop or some other manufacturer will make a cheap unit that is plug and play for the 2019 mustang.

Dan2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT

I have seen the thread about the sync 3 swap but it's just too expensive for me right now. I guess I'll just stick with the stock 4" screen and get a cell phone mount for my phone for navigation.

Hopefully in the future tomtop or some other manufacturer will make a cheap unit that is plug and play for the 2019 mustang.
Glad I could help! Good idea on the phone mount, that will look good; plus with bluetooth you can stream music without an issue.

Just for future information, when you are ready to make a move @HextallS550 does offer a couple of different price options depending upon the setup.

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT

You would be much better off with a Sync 3 swap. You keep all the factory function, you don't have to worry about the quality of the Chinese stuff and it allows for future upgrades once this new generation of Sync 3 is developed. For the 2019 we are now flashing Sync v3.4 into the customers APIM adding a touchscreen as well as a Recaro bezel. We will also fix the hazard switch, enable drive modes and fix the BT issues the regular ACM has. We have a discounted package for mustang6g members.

5-BC55354-25-C1-4729-BB10-33-E2-E9-AC7-D89.jpg

AeroFox87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
You would be much better off with a Sync 3 swap. You keep all the factory function, you don't have to worry about the quality of the Chinese stuff and it allows for future upgrades once this new generation of Sync 3 is developed. For the 2019 we are now flashing Sync v3.4 into the customers APIM adding a touchscreen as well as a Recaro bezel. We will also fix the hazard switch, enable drive modes and fix the BT issues the regular ACM has. We have a discounted package for mustang6g members.

5-BC55354-25-C1-4729-BB10-33-E2-E9-AC7-D89.jpg
What is the discounted price? I think imma buy through you. And there is also a thread talking about enabling the drive modes found here https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/drive-modes-enabled.76984/
Sponsored