Sponsored

How many have disconnected the center speaker?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
For those who have upgraded speakers or modified their stereo systems, how many of you have completely disconnected or deleted the center speaker?

This would be the speaker in the top of dash above the HVAC vents (or PP gauges).

How does the system sound without the center?
Sponsored

UserName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 718 GT4
I did everything but the source. Did not keep the center channel and don’t even know it’s not there.

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
I killed mine shortly after getting the car. Easily one of the best things I've done considering the zero cost. Huge improvement getting rid of the fake channel. There is no downside either as every audio function still operates.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I disconnected my center. I also faded the sound to almost all front. I also changed the balance to mostly right until the soundstage sounded centered at the windshield. You can change the 3 EQ settings just slightly from flat to your personal preference. Then the 9-speaker system is not so bad, although it still lacks low bass.

I am an ex- loudspeaker design engineer. The center and rear shelf speakers (9-speaker system) are cheap, low power, and distort. The door speakers are actually not that bad. I think guys that upgrade the door speakers are putting attention in the wrong area. Not to mention that you really shouldn't replace speakers without considering the crossovers as well, and then a huge can of worms opens up (again speaking as a speaker designer).

cheezhed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302 2018 GT Premium Coupe PP
I got rid of mine when I added amps and a DSP using I datalink harness.

Sponsored

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I wish Ford would just update the audio options to make it easy to enable/disable the center speaker through the software. (Or does physically disconnecting the center speaker somehow improve the power or frequency response of the other speakers in a way that just "muting" it would not?)

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
All it does is remove a source of crappy sound from the otherwise decent door speakers.

It is like putting in a full surround sound with crappy center and rear speakers when a great pair of speakers at left/ right will do just fine

Last edited:

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
I wish Ford would just update the audio options to make it easy to enable/disable the center speaker through the software. (Or does physically disconnecting the center speaker somehow improve the power or frequency response of the other speakers in a way that just "muting" it would not?)
I don’t think power changes nor does frequency response but the center is a manufactured channel that normally does not exist in two channel recordings. It isn’t the same as multi channel A/V sound. In the process of disconnecting mine it occurred to me to wire a switch in line to make it selectable on the chance other audio functions might be affected. I’ve A B’d it a few times and totally dislike the fake fill sound.

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
I need to do this. My Ram has the same setup with a center dash speaker.

When I swapped the the left and right speakers I left the center one hooked up. The sound was better since I had new left and right speakers but it sounded like the center speaker would muddy up the sound. Like here I read on the Ram forum that disconnecting the center speaker makes everything sound better.

So oneday I un-hooked it. Its real easy to get to the center speaker.
Well man, talk about a different, my highs sound louder at the same volume level as before and they also sound clearer.

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
If you disconnect the center speaker, does navigation, and phone calls through the Sync 3 still work? I.e., do you still hear navigation and telephone sounds through the other speakers when the center is removed? If so, why is there even a center speaker? Especially if it messes up the sound so much.

Sponsored

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Race Red
Vehicle Showcase
If you disconnect the center speaker, does navigation, and phone calls through the Sync 3 still work? I.e., do you still hear navigation and telephone sounds through the other speakers when the center is removed? If so, why is there even a center speaker? Especially if it messes up the sound so much.
I was wondering the same thing. I have the Shaker Pro 12 speaker system.

UserName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 718 GT4
I was wondering the same thing. I have the Shaker Pro 12 speaker system.
Yes. Everything still works without the center speaker.

I think they put it in to make people feel special.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Got rid of mine too. No need for it. Especially with a sound processor that uses time alignment. Even without that though, I'd axe the center speaker
Sponsored