Proper Break-in of any engine

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I remember a story around here about one guy who worked at the plant
Since you have an inside at flat rock can you kindly get my chassis number for me:yawn:
Thank you in advance.
I would ask, but recently I asked for another person and he declined. Sorry.
Sponsored

Woody25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Woody
Vehicle(s)
2019 350R
I remember a story around here about one guy who worked at the plant

I would ask, but recently I asked for another person and he declined. Sorry.

No problem, just thought I'd ask but according to the tracker I should know in 10 days!! :giggle:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
No problem, just thought I'd ask but according to the tracker I should know in 10 days!! :giggle:
It will be here before you know it. Do you plan to be there when it comes off the truck?

Woody25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Woody
Vehicle(s)
2019 350R
It will be here before you know it. Do you plan to be there when it comes off the truck?

Depends when it arrives, would love to video the car coming off the truck. Funny, my first build feels like my first child. lol

I'm sure my second build will be different.:giggle:

Du_tch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hovsep
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 F-150 5.0
@drummerboy Nice addition!

I just want to make it crystal clear to others that warming up an engine means DRIVING (gently) but NOT IDLING. You can idle it a little, but in general, idling is bad, always. It doesn't evenly heat the engine and does nothing to warm the rest of the drive train.
I Disagree with that. It is important for the longevity of your engine to always warm it up for atleast 5-10 minutes before driving. Especially high compression motors with tight tolerances. Heck, rod bearings ain’t cheap ;)
Every car ive owned has made it to 200,000+ thousand miles with no issues all driven HARD

Sponsored

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
I Disagree with that. It is important for the longevity of your engine to always warm it up for atleast 5-10 minutes before driving. Especially high compression motors with tight tolerances. Heck, rod bearings ain’t cheap ;)
Every car ive owned has made it to 200,000+ thousand miles with no issues all driven HARD
BMW M cars for example (the older NA ones) have specifically listed in the manuals not to idle the car but rather drive gently to warm it up. And we are talking about S54 or S65 with 11.5 and 12.0 compression ratios respectively, both capable of revving in excess of 8000rpm. This is in perfect agreement with the post you are disagreeing with :)

Du_tch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hovsep
Vehicle(s)
BMW M cars for example (the older NA ones) have specifically listed in the manuals not to idle the car but rather drive gently to warm it up. And we are talking about S54 or S65 with 11.5 and 12.0 compression ratios respectively, both capable of revving in excess of 8000rpm. This is in perfect agreement with the post you are disagreeing with :)
True. Key word “Older” M cars whose motors are designed differently. In fact the e92/e90 M3’s MUST be warmed up to full operating temp in order to be driven. Most people who bought the m3’s disregarded that fact and thats why so many m3 owners (second hand bought) have had to get rod bearings replaced prematurely. Which is why my friends are in business replacing rod bearings on M cars all day every day. Modern high performance engines do need to be warmed up atleast until the oil is hot 5 minutes for example.

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
True. Key word “Older” M cars whose motors are designed differently. In fact the e92/e90 M3’s MUST be warmed up to full operating temp in order to be driven. Most people who bought the m3’s disregarded that fact and thats why so many m3 owners (second hand bought) have had to get rod bearings replaced prematurely. Which is why my friends are in business replacing rod bearings on M cars all day every day. Modern high performance engines do need to be warmed up atleast until the oil is hot 5 minutes for example.
Beating on a cold engine will do damage for sure especially these high strung ones (S54s, S65s, Voodoos). Idling it though for extended periods to warm it up is not the solution either. The best is as those BMW manuals recommended: start the car, idle for a short period of time to get fluids moving (up to a min) and move on and drive it at lower rpms until fully warmed up.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
I am in the camp that cold idling should be as short as possible. Do a Google search and you’ll find support for both sides of the argument. I take the side that long periods of cold idling, even up to 10 minutes is not recommended.
The following is from a quick search I just did. “Because your vehicle's engine is not operating at its peak temperature when idling, fuel is only partially combusted, leading to a fuel residue buildup on cylinder walls.”

Du_tch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hovsep
Vehicle(s)
Beating on a cold engine will do damage for sure especially these high strung ones (S54s, S65s, Voodoos). Idling it though for extended periods to warm it up is not the solution either. The best is as those BMW manuals recommended: start the car, idle for a short period of time to get fluids moving (up to a min) and move on and drive it at lower rpms until fully warmed up.
Idling does 0 damage to an engine. The only reason they say its damaging the engine is because the green earth freaks dont want us to waste a drop of gasoline and “pollute” the air. I think their is a reason engines idle at 1,500rpm cold then down to 1k rpm then eventually down to normal idle. This is when I would start driving once my rpm drops down to normal idle.

Sponsored

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Idling does 0 damage to an engine. The only reason they say its damaging the engine is because the green earth freaks dont want us to waste a drop of gasoline and “pollute” the air. I think their is a reason engines idle at 1,500rpm cold then down to 1k rpm then eventually down to normal idle. This is when I would start driving once my rpm drops down to normal idle.
My M coupe tells me when it wants to drive off lol. It takes 30-45 sec for the engine to even start responding properly to throttle inputs. After about 1 min the throttle is responsive and idle is stable and car is ready to drive (at low rpms). By these standards the Voodoo is way less cranky but I am following the same routine...

OP
OP
AdamIsAdam

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
You're out of your tree if you think idling for 10 minutes is good for a cold engine. Not only does BMW state otherwise, as does Mercedes, (which is why they resist remote starters, btw), but cold engines are given extra fuel to help the cars get hot fast for emissions. That extra fuel is bad at idle because is washes the oil off the cylinder walls and contributes to bore scoring. See Jake Raby's need new on this very subject that he just put out.

On another note, if you idle up to operating temp, then get in and drive it hard, you are not allowing the oil in the tranny or the rear to warm up.

Lastly, Engineering Explained recently put out a video on how idling doesn't evenly warm up an engine. So just because the temp gauge says warm, doesn't mean the engine is entirely warm, just the area at the temp sensor, usually at the head.

But, to each his own.

Du_tch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hovsep
Vehicle(s)
You're out of your tree if you think idling for 10 minutes is good for a cold engine. Not only does BMW state otherwise, as does Mercedes, (which is why they resist remote starters, btw), but cold engines are given extra fuel to help the cars get hot fast for emissions. That extra fuel is bad at idle because is washes the oil off the cylinder walls and contributes to bore scoring. See Jake Raby's need new on this very subject that he just put out.

On another note, if you idle up to operating temp, then get in and drive it hard, you are not allowing the oil in the tranny or the rear to warm up.

Lastly, Engineering Explained recently put out a video on how idling doesn't evenly warm up an engine. So just because the temp gauge says warm, doesn't mean the engine is entirely warm, just the area at the temp sensor, usually at the head.

But, to each his own.
If cold engines run rich when cold. Why is it that everytime I have datalogged on a cold engine my car is running the same stoich and fuel/air mixture as when warm?... just curious

Du_tch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hovsep
Vehicle(s)
Also, i
If cold engines run rich when cold. Why is it that everytime I have datalogged on a cold engine my car is running the same stoich and fuel/air mixture as when warm?... just curious[/QUOTE
If cold engines run rich when cold. Why is it that everytime I have datalogged on a cold engine my car is running the same stoich and fuel/air mixture as when warm?... just curious
also, none of my cars have ever had any issues even though i always warmed up my cars for like 5-8 minutes never had any valve cover oil leaks, no scoring no nothing...