Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Good morning all
I roadcourse my 2018 a10 car and as you can imagine heat is an issue .
Did anyone experience HESITATION On the 10r80 when higher temp (around 230f) is reached?
I paddle shifting on track (but it also happened with full auto)
Hesitation is like when in a manual you push the clutch ,shift, and push the throttle BEFORE releasing the clutch . I have a small video ..it is hard to hear but please let me know what are your thoughts on it.

I've attached a very short video . auio is not optimal so please hear it with headphones or a sound speaker.

please let me know your thoughts

Alex

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Alex,

Good question!

I would imagine those seeing high temps in the 200+ range would be either in hotter climates OR when performing track duty (as yourself).

I have yet to see 200*, but here in NJ temps are just starting to break into the high 70’s and low 80’s, but have not remained consistent yet.

For my daily commute 100mo per day @ average of 65mph, I’m seeing A10 trans oil temp into the 170+ range. Traffic pattern for me is more rural (open), with only the last 25% of my commute being stop & go traffic (lights, stops and average mph between 35/45 in certain zones).

I’m not sure that helps to answer your question though, but maybe gives a ball park and a good discussion for others to chime in.

Have you tried discussing this in the track forum on here?

OP
OP
Flyhalf

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Alex,

Good question!

I would imagine those seeing high temps in the 200+ range would be either in hotter climates OR when performing track duty (as yourself).

I have yet to see 200*, but here in NJ temps are just starting to break into the high 70’s and low 80’s, but have not remained consistent yet.

For my daily commute 100mo per day @ average of 65mph, I’m seeing A10 trans oil temp into the 170+ range. Traffic pattern for me is more rural (open), with only the last 25% of my commute being stop & go traffic (lights, stops and average mph between 35/45 in certain zones).

I’m not sure that helps to answer your question though, but maybe gives a ball park and a good discussion for others to chime in.

Have you tried discussing this in the track forum on here?
Thanks for the answer
Unfortunately there are not many people tracking this car on roadcourse and I am one of the first in US competing woth a 2018 a10 (timetrials).
I always had overheating issues that I'm slowly fixing. Started with Oil temp. Moving to trans and some diff high temp too .
I do have now an oil cooler that helped.
Now issue is trans.
However with 70f outside i cruise in highway with 180-190f ..on traffic up to 210f .
So i think it is normal reaching 230 on track .It is not normal not be able to hold ok with this temp .
Options are limited and maybe the only real one is a SETRAB bigger trans cooler that i will bring in front of the AC condenser.

Let's see if someone had the same issue .
I do believe there is somenthing wrong inside . maybe springs or similar .I'm in cintact with my dealership so he is aware about it ..it is hard to replicate the issue on normal traffix tho .
AlEx

RBELUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT P1
Vehicle Showcase
I have tracked my A10 P1 at COTA and at MSR Houston both times i had brake issues and didn’t notice any hesitations of trans while on road course. I did leave car in sport+ at both events. I have another event end of May that should prove to be a bit more heat torture and I will keep an eye on oil which on previous days read as normal on gauge. I also watch trans temp to give ya another glimpse at a intermediate drivers experience In Southern heat.

RBELUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT P1
Vehicle Showcase
The thing that I experienced was the upshifts in turn exits part throttle that seem to lug the motor near end of sessions. The video you have is different from what I've experienced thus far. Thanks for posting

Sponsored

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
I have experienced issues with the 10 speed on track. Only had it at one track day, but when I finally got a clean lap in with no traffic the trans only lasted half a lap before overheating and playing up. The track is long though, just under 5km. For me it just stopped downshifting, I had it in auto but even using the paddles it wouldn't change down when I wanted it to. Eventually it would, but having lost engine braking there wasn't much point in pushing it any further.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just wondering... have you checked your 10R80 fluid level?

It’s been found that some 10R80’s were not filled to capacity from the factory and could be short by a good amount of fluid. Some M6G members have found this by checking themselves and others have reported that when in for trans related warranty work, the servicing dealer has found the same to be true.

Surely if the trans is low on fluid, that could present a variety of issues especially when under load for extended periods of time.

There is also a Ford TSB for the S550 10R80 which instructs the Servicing Dealers to be sure they are filling or servicing the 10R80 with specific trans fluid. I had created a 10R80 trans TSB/SSM thread in the Issues/TSB sub-forum in here. That thread contains all of the known issues to date and available TSB/SSM notifications from Ford, so if you haven’t seen it you may want to search my user ID and review.

OP
OP
Flyhalf

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Just wondering... have you checked your 10R80 fluid level?

It’s been found that some 10R80’s were not filled to capacity from the factory and could be short by a good amount of fluid. Some M6G members have found this by checking themselves and others have reported that when in for trans related warranty work, the servicing dealer has found the same to be true.

Surely if the trans is low on fluid, that could present a variety of issues especially when under load for extended periods of time.

There is also a Ford TSB for the S550 10R80 which instructs the Servicing Dealers to be sure they are filling or servicing the 10R80 with specific trans fluid. I had created a 10R80 trans TSB/SSM thread in the Issues/TSB sub-forum in here. That thread contains all of the known issues to date and available TSB/SSM notifications from Ford, so if you haven’t seen it you may want to search my user ID and review.
Thank you all
I do change fluid every 3 or 4 track events. (3 months)
I had High temp after installing an oil cooler .It was blocking air flow to the trans cooler raising its temp up .
I fix it moving to the lower grille the oil cooler. All good for a little again Then after thr last trans fluid change the problem came back stronger. With the issue happening at 225 instead 240f.
So there is a worsening .
I brought the car to the dealership (where I do the trans fluid change). They will keep the car for few days .
We will see.
Many suspects
Torque converter. Clutches. Pump .

Sponsored

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
I know. But in the other hand new trans up soon. I hope to get it before next Muscle cup round.
At least they're taking care of it. The trans cooler looks inadequate for tracking. Especially for how hot these cars operate. I suspect a cooler change and or a fluid change for heavy track use. ULV fluid seems to be for efficiency, not durability.

OP
OP
Flyhalf

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
At least they're taking care of it. The trans cooler looks inadequate for tracking. Especially for how hot these cars operate. I suspect a cooler change and or a fluid change for heavy track use. ULV fluid seems to be for efficiency, not durability.
Unfortunately we cannot change the ultra low viscosity with a "ticker one" because the spaces inside the trans are really small.
I'm ordering a giant SETRAB cooler to place in front of the AC condenser ..very direct air . more than that there is nothing else I can do. I mean buy the GT500 will be the next legitimate consequence :D

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
Unfortunately we cannot change the ultra low viscosity with a "ticker one" because the spaces inside the trans are really small.
I'm ordering a giant SETRAB cooler to place in front of the AC condenser ..very direct air . more than that there is nothing else I can do. I mean buy the GT500 will be the next legitimate consequence :D
There's certainly additives out there though. Especially for such a cheap fluid. I was completely shocked at how cheap the ULV fluid was. Bought two qts from the dealer since I wanted to make sure mine was topped off. Which is a complete pain in the ass to check....

I remember a company making a scoop for the MT-82, wonder if that might work as well.

OP
OP
Flyhalf

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
I could add some friction reducer (motorkote) but not sure is tested on the auto trans .(They claim so)
The scoop wont really work here cause the pan is kind of plastic .unfortunately
I think the best bet is the bigger and direct airflow cooler .
Sponsored