Sponsored

2020 EcoBoost High Performance Package, 330 HP / 350 LB-FT, 0-60 mid 4's [Updated With Video]

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT 401a MT82
Yes!
And yes, yes and yes...

The Mustang bullitt needs 3,900 rpms before it surpasses the EB's TQ. So logically, a Ford Performance tuned EB w/larger turbos and larger intercooler can/will have more TQ. Just like the Ford Performance Tune for the 2018+ Ecoboosts does, giving +70ft-lbs more TQ down low.
But try going on and off the throttle quickly because of turbo lag ( had a 4 cyl tuned honda civic before ) it felt like I was on 140 ft lbs all the time and by the time the turbo kicked in I had to slow down, and if I tuned it for instant spool, it would be very jerky and bend connecting rods. Compared to the V8 I get instant 300 ft lbs with NO LAG at all under the curve and massive 420 ftlbs over the curb. Turbo only makes sense for mileage and WOT NLS or automatic cars and thats only for straight line at the track very inconsistent as well, superchargers rule there. Between shifts I hated the feel of no power then sudden take off. Go twin turbo, or twin scroll or bust. Hate single tiny turbo cars.

+70 ft lbs after the turbo has spooled up to full boost. A good second or so at low RPM because of slow air speeds by that time the V8 will be at 4k rpms and at peak tq. Also when tunned at such low rpm's and speeds and full boost these tiny engines over time can bend rods.
Sponsored

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT 401a MT82
So!
That doesn't mean the 2.3l ecoboost can't be programmed (as mentioned & indicated with FP tune) with +70ft-lbs at the low end. Or mapping that allow for ripping tires.

Again, the Coyote Gen 3 (@480HP) doesn't has as much down-low torque as the Ford Performance tuned Ecoboost. On a stock EB, the engine doesn't have instant torque, it is programed to build torque to ease stresses on engine and drivertrain. And this doesn't matter if you are talking about the 2.3liter, or the 2.7liter, or the 3.0liter, all have low-end nannies that are programmed to save the driverline. Unless you have driven a tuned EB that eliminates the nannies, you won't know the feeling.

2.3liter High Performance Ecoboost is a stock engine. Stock for stock, the EB has just as much muscle as the GT. Above 3rd gear the GT will pull away.
Not just the driveline but the rods too. They wouldn't have to ease into torque if they fitted good thick high quality rods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
But try going on and off the throttle quickly because of turbo lag ( had a 4 cyl tuned honda civic before ) it felt like I was on 140 ft lbs all the time and by the time the turbo kicked in I had to slow down, and if I tuned it for instant spool, it would be very jerky and bend connecting rods. Compared to the V8 I get instant 300 ft lbs with NO LAG at all under the curve and massive 420 ftlbs over the curb. Turbo only makes sense for mileage and WOT NLS or automatic cars and thats only for straight line at the track very inconsistent as well, superchargers rule there. Between shifts I hated the feel of no power then sudden take off. Go twin turbo, or twin scroll or bust. Hate single tiny turbo cars.

+70 ft lbs after the turbo has spooled up to full boost. A good second or so at low RPM because of slow air speeds by that time the V8 will be at 4k rpms and at peak tq. Also when tunned at such low rpm's and speeds and full boost these tiny engines over time can bend rods.
There's no lag on an Ecoboost. This is 2019. Turbos are small and integrated in to the manifold. Boost builds virtually instantly.

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT 401a MT82
There's no lag on an Ecoboost. This is 2019. Turbos are small and integrated in to the manifold. Boost builds virtually instantly.
I had a 2018 tuned honda civic Si turbo integrated into the head itself pretty much. Yes it is 2019 but there is still physics involved and with my drive style the lag was there. But there isn't on my V8 anymore

Last edited:

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
First, I think Ford is downplaying the horsepower a little. It probably has the same 350hp as the RS. They just don't want to show all their cards and it leave them room to "raise" the hp to 350hp in 2 years.

Second, its not all about peak hp #'s. A broad flat torque line will get you faster times. I believe Ford optimized this for having nearly the same (90% of its) peak power across nearly the whole power curve. ie: at 1,500 rpm you're going to get 315+ lbs torque, and stay in the 310-350 lbs all the way up to 6000+ rpm.

So its basically a GT body (brakes, suspension, etc..) with an engine they spent a lot of money developing, but now don't have a car to put it in. So they need to do something with all the spare parts and get some use out of the R&D spent. Because this car did not cost a lot to develop (in my opinion), they probably will market / sell it at a relative bargain price to pump up some volume / sales. The way to make money in this business is volume.... volume.... volume. And price sells, so while its sticker price may approach GT cost. In the real world, the actually selling price may be $5-6k under sticker like so many of Ford's overpriced sticker cars & trucks.
If it truly is the RS engine it might not have the overboost option that allows it do 350 HP thus the lower HP number.

Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
This is so foolish and laughable.

I have a serious problem with these statements. Turbo lag indefinitely exists, and even with the AMG electric turbo, mild hybrid, it’s still a fraction of a second to spool.

My comparison?

GT350 - weekend warrior
New Civic type R turbo
Work truck is an ‘18 3.5 ecoboost.

There is lag on the turbos. You can’t defy science. It takes a while to get from 1-120,000 rpm spool. Then to pressurize the intake tract, and finally have combustion with maximum air/fuel.

In an NA car under partial throttle, there is a vacuum on the engine side. Once WOT, the velocity of the air (caused by differential pressure of the vacuum) is what’s perceived as throttle response. A turbo engine still has vacuum yes, but it doesn’t react and respond the same way. It’s stifled, the exhaust cant “escape” easily because it’s having the thermal energy conversion on the turbine blades.

Long/short - turbo lag is reduced, but still present.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
Both turbo vehicles I've driven/owned have had noticeable turbo lag. Wife's A3, and my 3.5L ecoboost F150. You kind of get this weird jerky feeling when boost is coming on. Once the car gets into boost, however, everything smooths out, even after transmission shifts.

The build up of boost in my F150 was definitely an event. Felt like the truck was going to shake itself apart.

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
I'd guess Stinger, Audi is 3.2 IIRC.
Good guess! Or the Genesis variant. I am planning to get it benched tuned to 393 whp and 455 ft-lb by pressertech in two weeks. And that is considered a mild tune from 326 whp.

The aftermarket is basically non-existent compared to the huge following Ford Mustang has. No flash software - you have to mail your ECU off to a specialty performance shop.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I did a walk around of these cars today and went over the details of it if anyone is interested:

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
After just trading in my Eco - I kind of wish I started out with this. The price range is going to make all the difference though. I am anticipating this car to be at least 32-33k range. 10 speed auto, Performance tune, better cylinders, reinforced block, and a bigger turbo. The pro-tuners are going to have a field day with this. It's still only a 2.3L cylinder, but the amount of power you get out of good gas millage is amazing.

The biggest issue with the current eco was the peak torque curve. I traded in for a 3.3 TT V6 and the power delivery is just amazing.
I don't think this package will be close to 33k msrp the ecoboost Pony Package with A10 is a high 36k

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I had a 2018 tuned honda civic Si turbo integrated into the head itself pretty much. Yes it is 2019 but there is still physics involved and with my drive style the lag was there. But there isn't on my V8 anymore
I don't think you understand what down-low torque means.
Ecoboost have full boost at 2,300rpms... even lower rpm if need and you update components to forged. But the ecoboost has boost nearly off idle. Throttle response on 4 cyl turbos will always be an issue, but don't confuse it with lag.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think this package will be close to 33k msrp the ecoboost Pony Package with A10 is a high 36k
Because the Pony package requires premium and even then you option that on alone and the MSRP is $32.5 exactly, with the A10 it is just over $34..

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Because the Pony package requires premium and even then you option that on alone and the MSRP is $32.5 exactly, with the A10 it is just over $34..

You don't really think you're going to get the High Performance package on a base car. I bet the High performance package will start at 36k.
Sponsored