Sponsored

2017 convertible with smartTOP module

clive1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT convertible
Thanks I was hoping it would be straightforward and it seems to be. Looking forward to be able to open/close while moving.

I had a 2003 Holden (Opel/Vauxhall) Astra convertible that I operated the hood up to 40kph(~25 mph) even though it was supposed to work only when stationery and I never had any problems with it. I will limit it to 30kph.(~18mph) when I install this module in the Mustang.
Sponsored

ROKN 5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt convertible
Waiting on a 19 gt vert. .what else does this do..saw on otger vehicles it allows dvd play nav etc while driving..do you have or know something for this

OP
OP
trojannemo

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
On our cars all it does it automate most of the top open and close process as well as auto shifting into S+ mode. What you're referring go is a nav bypass and I have it on my SUV but not for the Mustang.

rcengr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
17 Grabber Blue EB Convertible, 2023 Colorado Z71
I got my module installed today and I love it. No more Camaro envy!

A note of caution when installing. There is a cloth covered divider between the top interior trim and the mechanism to make sure these don't rub together. It is possible when reinstalling the top interior trim to put it over the cloth divider. Make sure the divider is free to move and not trapped by the trim piece. The first time I closed the top it snagged the interior trim and took it back off. While there was a few anxious moments while I figured out what happened, no actual damage was done.

They also still honored the discount code when I ordered.

clive1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT convertible
Installed the module today and very happy with it. Appreciate all the advice as it certainly made it easier to be forewarned of potential issues. I hot glued the module rather than use the double sided patch.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I got my module installed today and I love it. No more Camaro envy!
Yeah, I'm cross shopping a MY18+ GT vs. a ZL1 (both convertibles, both A10), and in the favor of the Camaro is the slicker top operation, but this module (for < $300) does do a decent job of bringing them closer to matched functionality.

FWIW, the Camaro is still "better" in that it allows fully remote top operation ... however it gets a non-trivial ding in that it changes the available trunk space based on the top position ...

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Convertible (sold)
I just ordered one. It will be here next week!

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First of all, the kit arrived sooner than it was supposed to. No complaints from me! It took about 20 minutes to install. And that was taking my time. It set the drive mode to S+ when I start it and one touch for the top down/up. Two very useful features that I've been wishing the car had. Especially the drive mode!

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just found that my car will be in the normal drive mode if I use the key fob remote to start it. The roof operation still works.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Just caved in and ordered one. They also said to let everyone know that the forum discount is extended til end of this month.
Cool, thanks for the heads up on the discount. If wind up with another GT convertible (looking more and more to be the case ...), I'm getting one of these for the new car. It really does fix two [out of three] of the outstanding complaints I have with the top mechanism (particularly vs. the Camaro which I've been cross shopping).

Then for me, the comparison is pretty close ...

Camaro:

+ One touch
+ Operate while moving
+ Remote Operation
- Loses trunk space when top is down

Mustang + SmartTOP:

+ One touch
+ Operate while moving
+ Retains same trunk space when top is down
- No Remote Operation

Both 3 for 4 :D

Did you order direct or through their ebay source? Not sure if the e-code works on the latter[?]

rcengr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
17 Grabber Blue EB Convertible, 2023 Colorado Z71
I put mine in mostly to get the operate while moving functionality. And that has helped a couple of times when I was driving into a rain storm and needed to get the top up quickly.

I've found that the one-touch operation is really convenient and worth the money. I didn't realize how annoying it was to have to hold down the button until I no longer had to do it.

Tseg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Dang.... so tempting. But I remember having an aftermarket auto-start installed in my new 2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer back in the day and months later realized a slew of electrical problems were tied back to the unit. I had to bail on that SUV at great cost to myself. At that point I told myself never-again to aftermarket electronics.

yessirrom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT Convertible
Do you guys leave the usb cable attached so it accessible while installed or do you change the settings through your climate control screen?
Once installed, I have not needed or wanted to change any settings. So not attached cable for me.

I agree that not having to hold the button is almost as nice as the top working while in motion. I do also use the auto sport mode as well.
Sponsored