Sponsored

Anyone can kill your dog and chances are it's worthless so they'll get away with it.

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have the necropsy report from UF? I can take a look at it if you want and give you my opinion. I am a veterinarian and yes there are lots of shady guys out there but also lots of very compassionate people trying to do a good job for you who treat your pet as their own.
Sponsored

GOM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red Ecoboost coupe
Message to Docscurlock,

I understand that you you want to give a balanced, dispassionate response to this thread but there is too much emotion and fixed opinion for there to be any winners.

Just let the OP have his say, as his right in a democratic society; know in your heart that you do your job in a manner that is professional, skilful and caring. Understand the loss that he feels, but with which he cannot come to terms.

Disclaimer to those who understand: I used to be MRCVS before retirement.

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
GOM
It's his right, I never argued that and his opinion may be warranted. I was just offering to look at the report and give him an unbiased opinion. It may help bring closure to know for sure either way. He can take it or leave it. I feel like I'm at least a little intelligent, but MRCVS?

OP
OP
IPOGT

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Do you have the necropsy report from UF? I can take a look at it if you want and give you my opinion. I am a veterinarian and yes there are lots of shady guys out there but also lots of very compassionate people trying to do a good job for you who treat your pet as their own.
I completely appreciate your kind offer as well as your honest acknowledgement of less than scrupulous characters in the industry. I believe I have maintained my integrity by offering the the fact throughout this thread that there are many great veterinarians and this is not an industry attack. It is merely an acknowledgment of a broken system where the good veterinarians are forced to compete with people who have no business working with people's pets and whose knowledge would be better relegated to examining contents of a test tube where they would be safe from causing others harm.

GOM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red Ecoboost coupe
MRCVS?

UK

Sponsored

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I completely appreciate your kind offer as well as your honest acknowledgement of less than scrupulous characters in the industry. I believe I have maintained my integrity by offering the the fact throughout this thread that there are many great veterinarians and this is not an industry attack. It is merely an acknowledgment of a broken system where the good veterinarians are forced to compete with people who have no business working with people's pets and whose knowledge would be better relegated to examining contents of a test tube where they would be safe from causing others harm.
I never intended to attack or impugn your integrity. Your opinion is yours and I have never argued that you are not entitled to it. I am very sorry for the loss of your pet, I know exactly the pain you are going through.
A personal story of mine, I lost my Labrador during an anesthetic procedure, I hired a boarded surgeon to come in and fix a hernia that he developed and he passed during the procedure. I was heartbroken. He was my best friend and hunting buddy. I can't even count the number of miles we covered together or the number of pheasants we took together. I can see his ashes sitting on the shelf from where I am typing. I have a portrait that I had commissioned hanging on the wall between two mounted pheasants over the fireplace. I know your pain.

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
MRCVS?

UK
Member of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, ok, didn't see the welsh border in your info. Please excuse the ignorance of a yank. Geez, we need better titles over here. That sounds so cool.

OP
OP
IPOGT

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Message to Docscurlock,

I understand that you you want to give a balanced, dispassionate response to this thread but there is too much emotion and fixed opinion for there to be any winners.

Just let the OP have his say, as his right in a democratic society; know in your heart that you do your job in a manner that is professional, skilful and caring. Understand the loss that he feels, but with which he cannot come to terms.

Disclaimer to those who understand: I used to be MRCVS before retirement.
I never intended to attack or impugn your integrity. Your opinion is yours and I have never argued that you are not entitled to it. I am very sorry for the loss of your pet, I know exactly the pain you are going through.
A personal story of mine, I lost my Labrador during an anesthetic procedure, I hired a boarded surgeon to come in and fix a hernia that he developed and he passed during the procedure. I was heartbroken. He was my best friend and hunting buddy. I can't even count the number of miles we covered together or the number of pheasants we took together. I can see his ashes sitting on the shelf from where I am typing. I have a portrait that I had commissioned hanging on the wall between two mounted pheasants over the fireplace. I know your pain.
Never thought so. I really appreciate your offer. I already had the dept head of cardiology of another university look at it.
His comment was it was unlikely that a dog like him could have severe hypertrophic cardiomyopathy for a few reasons, age, his abilities and how overall rare it is. He continued to say how lack of proper preservation as well as time can cause changes in heart tissue which can easily mimic changes indicated by this disease. When I received this information and placed it together with information on this individual's past and then combined it with my own personal experience as well as the experience of others I have come to know both lay and professional, Is what led to my opinion of this circumstance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
IPOGT

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm sorry for the loss of your hunting buddy. I understand things can go wrong during surgery. Looks like heart problems can also be a convenient excuse for the unscrupulous when it happens though.
The problem for that is patients can have credentials of their own.

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The problem for that is patients can have credentials of their own.
Amen brother, working, hunting, service dogs have always held a place in my heart. They are the true definition of selfless. During my career, I have always provided free medical care for the local PD (county and city) police dogs. Everything, routine or otherwise is on my dime.

Sponsored
OP
OP
IPOGT

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Amen brother, working, hunting, service dogs have always held a place in my heart. They are the true definition of selfless. During my career, I have always provided free medical care for the local PD (county and city) police dogs. Everything, routine or otherwise is on my dime.
And someone like yourself has to compete with guys like I went to? That just sucks. This guy make megabucks. I thought I was getting a board certified dentist with impeccable credentials. What I got was a money hungry factory with an $11K quote and a guy who didn't give enough of a crap about my dog to make sure he was awake before he threw him in a kennel and panicked when he wasn't breathing. All that from a puppy boutique vet who was presumably certifying these dogs were healthy when they were very sick. If only the vet boards did their job, my dog might be alive. And good folks like yourself would not have that competition.

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Those guys aren't my competition. I'm just living in the same world as them.

OP
OP
IPOGT

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just curious, why are vet boards so hell bent on protecting these people they have heard about time and time again but yet do nothing about?
I cannot wrap my head around the utter injustice done by the veterinary boards both with respect to their fiduciary responsibility to protect the public as well as their responsibilities to exemplary members by not prosecuting poor providers.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
They charge that because they can. The vets usually don't even do the cleaning- a tech usually does it.
I understand your concern about cost. But really, does cost really matter more than knowing that the person treating your dog is responsible for something more than a toothpick should something go wrong?
Think about how much no responsibility plays in the choice of employees they hire, equipment they use etc. Yes, there are many good vets. There are also many who enter the field knowing they can charge a fortune and have no responsibility. It's a great deal. These vets have less responsibility than an electrician installing a ceiling fan in your house.
Jesus Christ can we get this thread locked. It's a cesspool of slander and bad information.
Sponsored