2018 Mustang Whipple Stage 2 - A10 Transmission & Converter Build Time

HRSEPLA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
A Bunch
Time from some Transmission work: (4,000 miles and 25 track passes)
At the end of the 2018 season I have some transmission 'flares' I'll call them, between 5-6th gears (maybe it was 6-7th). I didn't think it was 'slipping' honestly because there was no load or normal trans slip, just a blatantly loose, free rev between the gears and then a very hard, abrupt, shocking engagement into the next gear right after. We suspected the valve body but still unsure if it plays a part yet. This problem could not be tuned around, Lund tried but it must be something mechanical....
This only happened under normal driving leaving a stoplight. Under full throttle it 'seemed' to perform OK at the track but Jon Lund said he could see slip in the logs and we worked together trying to chase his target shift point to actually get it to shift close to those rpms.
It started as an occasional acceleration flare but by the end of the year it was happening leaving every stoplight.

I spoke to a few people about the A10 and decided to ship it down and have Brett LaSala go through it and install the McLeod clutches.
https://www.msr-nogmparts.com/

Once I pulled the converter I noticed that there was some visible contact in the snout (pictured) A call to Circle D (and Jon) said that they are seeing this happen (like on the 6R80's) and offer a Bronze Bushing now and are also working on a bearing setup in the near future. I shipped it to them for the bushing along with the Billet Stator / stall upgrade. (fyi - I explained that it was time sensitive and April 12 was to be the completion date.)

That's what I have for now, how’s everybody else’s trannys holding up? Sam

***UPDATE 5/6/19 - A new Ford Valvebody fixed the shifting flares/rpm spikes in between my 5th & 6th gears.***

46705484144_a4fbbbd64e_k.jpg

46705484334_3c2116ed51_k.jpg

32486717097_e4139b2b8b_k.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
HRSEPLA

HRSEPLA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
A Bunch
Turns out a few of the clutches were smoked but everything else checked out good, trans is being buttoned back up with the new McLeod parts and sent home. The new Converter is still 2 weeks out.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
Thought I read somewhere the ZL1 10 speed has some better hard parts of some differences in the valvebody?

Itll be interesting to follow along with these 10 speeds and see how things go once people figure out how to strengthen them!!

Whats the stall going to be 4k?

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Great thread.. ill be staying close.

I made 5 or 6 144+ 1/4 passes on 8-9 psi. Couple weeks later turned up the boost to 13 psi and made 913 whp.

I get a shift flare from time to time on the 3-4 shift. All other gears are great.

I watched the 10r80 tear down video on Alex Flores's youtube video and the clutches are definitely the problem on these trannies. Will be interesting to see how well your new McLeod's hold up under the abuse.

OP can you PM me the cost for the trans rebuild/clutch install?

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now

I made 5 or 6 144+ 1/4 passes on 8-9 psi. Couple weeks later turned up the boost to 13 psi and made 913 whp.

I get a shift flare from time to time on the 3-4 shift. All other gears are great.

I watched the 10r80 tear down video on Alex Flores's youtube video and the clutches are definitely the problem on these trannies. Will be interesting to see how well your new McLeod's hold up under the abuse.

Clutches? Well yeah Its got 10 freaking gears LOL I think only way to slow down clutch wearr is going to be the shift strategy tuning and better clutches obviously. There is a lot to learn about these 10R80s yet.

Sponsored

BadGTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Auto, 1400HP GTR

Do you have a link to the youtube video?

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang

we can do the parts, we have 30 sets of 10r80 clutches in stock, and a couple full rebuild kits as well.

you can also send the trans to us, or bring the car in and due in house.

we have done hundreds of 6r80's and about a dozen of the 10r's at this point including going through mine a couple times before cluthes were available.

for the 6r guys we offer some pretty stout builds as well.

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
we can do the parts, we have 30 sets of 10r80 clutches in stock, and a couple full rebuild kits as well.

you can also send the trans to us, or bring the car in and due in house.

we have done hundreds of 6r80's and about a dozen of the 10r's at this point including going through mine a couple times before cluthes were available.

for the 6r guys we offer some pretty stout builds as well.
Terry can you PM me the price for a complete trans with the upgraded clutches assuming i send you mine as a core.

OP
OP
HRSEPLA

HRSEPLA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
A Bunch
I used Brett LaSala / www.msr-nogmparts.com (Pricing on his site)
A bunch of big HP local 6R80 guys use him here and I have been very happy with the process this far.
With McLeod still having the same OEM clutch count, it will still be a matter of time before there is issues again I'd imagine.
Stall is targeted to around 3600-3800ish. I am really curious to see what this will do launching in 2nd gear.
I didn't know Terry did these as well, he took care of me on all of my Whipple build parts and treated me awesome!

Sponsored

Rodsaleen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT
I can’t quite remember my mileage but the fatal flare started after my 9-10 track pass. Lund tried numerous tricks to fix but nothing alleviated it. I swapped the valve body and the problem still persisted. Mine started as 4-5 and 5-6 gear flare. It seemed tolerable at first because it wouldn’t do it ever time but it got worse and worse. Lund was finally able to put a bandaid on the flare but the free revs got worse and mine got to the point of it wouldn’t even shift into the next gear at times. Finally it got to the point I really couldn’t accelerate because the trans would just do erratic shifting between gears 4-8. I would have to just cruise along until I got to 8th and then I could accelerate. Between having to explain to my wife why this brand new car is just sitting in the garage and consistently hearing her say “you said you weren’t going to do this again”. I bought a new 10R80 and sent my original trans to PBH. To say the least my clutches were fried. Also when I went to pull my TC out of the original trans it was like it was seized to the input shaft. I literally couldn’t get it out.
77C5FA53-A7BA-431F-BEE1-7FA5A0ACA3E1.jpeg
9A0E6DC0-86B5-4C51-8E05-C2084C90DEAD.jpeg
B32A6EA0-CB47-43D9-9584-D8AACD792545.jpeg

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
I can’t quite remember my mileage but the fatal flare started after my 9-10 track pass. Lund tried numerous tricks to fix but nothing alleviated it. I swapped the valve body and the problem still persisted. Mine started as 4-5 and 5-6 gear flare. It seemed tolerable at first because it wouldn’t do it ever time but it got worse and worse. Lund was finally able to put a bandaid on the flare but the free revs got worse and mine got to the point of it wouldn’t even shift into the next gear at times. Finally it got to the point I really couldn’t accelerate because the trans would just do erratic shifting between gears 4-8. I would have to just cruise along until I got to 8th and then I could accelerate. Between having to explain to my wife why this brand new car is just sitting in the garage and consistently hearing her say “you said you weren’t going to do this again”. I bought a new 10R80 and sent my original trans to PBH. To say the least my clutches were fried. Also when I went to pull my TC out of the original trans it was like it was seized to the input shaft. I literally couldn’t get it out.
What's the part number on the new 10r80?

OP
OP
HRSEPLA

HRSEPLA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
A Bunch
Update:
Circle D is taking a longer than they quoted with my new converter, I need it to ship very early this week.

Brett LaSala had a very quick turnaround with the trans, I was impressed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HRSEPLA

HRSEPLA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
A Bunch
I’m becoming disappointed in Circle D.

It was agreed before I sent it down that April 12th was my 10R80 converter ship date, I verified the week prior that the 12th was still on schedule and was told yes. (As I rushed my trans build, planned my install/vacation/race weekend accordingly and then had to cancel last minute)
I had to call in to them again on the 12th to confirm shipment only to find out that it was still not done but would now be sent out early this week.
Well It’s now Thursday night, the 18th and since my 2 emails had no response so I called again and now they are off Friday for the weekend.

If a business is not going to deliver what they say, there needs to be more proactive communication. I shouldn’t have to keep chasing them down for disappointing news.

I should have kept my stock converter, does anyone else build these?
Sponsored

Last edited: