Sponsored

Correct dipstick oil level when cold GT 2018

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
So here's a pic of each side of the dipstick - you can see one side the oil goes way up the dipstick, the other only goes to the just above lower hole. Is that what everyone's looks like when checking? I go by the lower reading, correct? BTW - this is 2 hours after stopping the engine, and the reading is still LOWER than it was cold. Do I need to add oil?
IMG_3218.jpg
IMG_3219.jpg
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
So here's a pic of each side of the dipstick - you can see one side the oil goes way up the dipstick, the other only goes to the just above lower hole. Is that what everyone's looks like when checking? I go by the lower reading, correct? BTW - this is 2 hours after stopping the engine, and the reading is still LOWER than it was cold. Do I need to add oil?
IMG_3218.jpg
IMG_3219.jpg
Looks like some oil smearing going on from pulling the dipstick. The difference from one side to the other on my dipstick isn't a very large ways. Do it when stone cold in the morning and look at both sides of the dipstick on the first pull.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It looks the same cold - one side smeared. The strut tower brace makes it hard to go straight in or out. The side that’s not smeared should be accurate though right?

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It looks the same cold - one side smeared. The strut tower brace makes if hard to go straight in or out. The side that’s not smeared should be accurate though right?
Yep, it should be clear which side is a good read. Usually when I do a check cold and on the first pull of the dipstick is when I get the best reading. Continued dipstick in/out cycles seems to make the smearing worse.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll check it cold tomorrow morning. Just checked it again and it's a bit higher. Seems like colder is higher for me.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll check it cold tomorrow morning. Just checked it again and it's a bit higher. Seems like colder is higher for me.
Impossible since oil expands when hot. Something else is going on.

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
I lost sleep over this--well, not a whole lot--but I think the hash both keeps the oil from going up the dipstick by capillary action and gives a bit of a background so the level is easier to read (check the unhashed side with clean oil and see if you can get a good reading).

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have no problem seeing the oil level on the hashed area of the dipstick, especially when the oil is cold. That's one reason I check the cold oil level. Move the stick around a little with good light and it's easy to see when the light reflects off the oil layer since the dipstick itself has a dull surface finish.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Checked it this morning and it was a bit higher than when warm. Apparently not impossible. Gonna do it again this weekend with pics.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Checked it this morning and it was a bit higher than when warm. Apparently not impossible. Gonna do it again this weekend with pics.
The oil level going up when cold makes no sense unless your oil filter's anti-drain back valve is leaking badly.

Sponsored

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Or maybe it takes a long time for the oil to drain into the pain - I've read a couple posts on these forums that mention that.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Or maybe it takes a long time for the oil to drain into the pain - I've read a couple posts on these forums that mention that.
It only takes 15~20 min for hot oil to all drain back to give a consistant hot oil level.

Then from that point forward the oil starts cooling, and the level goes down as the oil keeps cooling to room temperature. It's worked like that on every vehicle I've seen for decades.

I did however have an oil filter with a leaky anti-drain back valve, and it did make the cold level higher than it was when hot. So that's what could be happening to you because it's physically impossible for oil to expand as it cools down. It only expands in volume when it heats up.

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2019 F150 King Ranch
20019 GT PP1. Changed my oil to Motorcraft 5w30 full synthetic (at the dealer) after the first 700 miles. Car now has 1500 miles. Oil is so lightly colored very difficult to even see it on the dipstick. Using my reading glasses and in good light, I can see the oil bead on the stick as I rotate it. Amazing how clean this oil it staying. So once I am able to see it effectively, I’ll chime in with my readings.

OP
OP

v8 enthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adelmar
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A10, 19 GT A10, 19 GT A10, 21 MACH 1
20019 GT PP1. Changed my oil to Motorcraft 5w30 full synthetic (at the dealer) after the first 700 miles. Car now has 1500 miles. Oil is so lightly colored very difficult to even see it on the dipstick. Using my reading glasses and in good light, I can see the oil bead on the stick as I rotate it. Amazing how clean this oil it staying. So once I am able to see it effectively, I’ll chime in with my readings.
It's easier to check AND SEE the oil level on the dipstick using the non-hashed side of it.

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
One 'trick' that works for me (sometimes): Lay the dipstick on a clean paper towel with a reference point on the dipstick--hash, writing, hole--at the edge of the towel then move the dipstick next to the smear you just made with the same reference point, and read the level:

oil3.JPG
Sponsored