Sponsored

H Pipe and Resonator Delete for 18 Mustang GT

mstngjpm1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Fastback Auto
Hey guys

I am thinking of pushing the button on an H Pipe Resonator delete on my auto Fastback 18 GT.
Love the OE active exhaust but would like a little more volume and depth to the tone without dumping the whole exhaust which would an expensive overkill

H Pipe/ Resonator delete seems the way to go as I don't want the rasp of an X Pipe
Just concerned about how loud it would be starting in Normal mode first thing in the morning from a neighbour point of view.
I know I could start it in Quiet mode but I think that would kinda defeat the purpose of the mod in the first place, as I would love a little more volume on Normal on cold Start Up without having to go to Quiet mode.

I only use Quiet mode now programmed before 7.00am and would be reluctant if i had to use it at a later time of the day.

Any feedback would be appreciated?

Also, any downsides with drone on a cruise?

I gotta say the American Muscle tube on this mod is very impressive

Seems like a great way to go.

Any thoughts guys?
Sponsored

LethalBlake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Blake
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F150

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
In all honesty, the cold starts do get a lot louder with a res delete. I have mine starting in quiet mode all the time except between 2-7 in the afternoon (I live in an apartment). And it is wake the dead loud starting it in my work carpark, awesome. Not quite as loud as my corsa xtreme catback was, but not much less tbh.

But, the cold start is such a small part of the experience, the car sounds absolutely mean driving around in track mode. You'll be kicking yourself if you let that 10 second enjoyment hold you back from what is overall a much better experience.

Disclaimer: I like loud cars, and I'm soon to add headers to the system. Not sure even quiet mode will save the neighbours

Sponsored

OP
OP
mstngjpm1

mstngjpm1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks msweet

Your posts are always incisive!

Take your point about not being neighbour friendly. Problem is I just love the "first thing in the morning" starts with the OE system and having to start in Quiet mode
in H Pipe /Resonator delete would be a bit sad. You make a good point though about sacrificing the first 10 seconds so that you can enjoy the car at all other times

How do you reckon starting the car in "Quiet mode" with this H pipe mode compares with starting the car in "Normal mode" with OE?

I don't mind starting the car in Quiet mode with this H Pipe mod as long as it isn't as ridiculously quiet as the OE system is in Quiet mode?

Also, is there any harshness or drone with the this mod as I do really like the smoothness and lack of drone with the OE system. I just want a bit more volume.

Appreciate your thoughts

TehEno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT - Tickford Supercharge Pack - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
Thanks msweet

Your posts are always incisive!

Take your point about not being neighbour friendly. Problem is I just love the "first thing in the morning" starts with the OE system and having to start in Quiet mode
in H Pipe /Resonator delete would be a bit sad. You make a good point though about sacrificing the first 10 seconds so that you can enjoy the car at all other times

How do you reckon starting the car in "Quiet mode" with this H pipe mode compares with starting the car in "Normal mode" with OE?

I don't mind starting the car in Quiet mode with this H Pipe mod as long as it isn't as ridiculously quiet as the OE system is in Quiet mode?

Also, is there any harshness or drone with the this mod as I do really like the smoothness and lack of drone with the OE system. I just want a bit more volume.

Appreciate your thoughts
It depends on the environment in which you're starting the car really. When I leave work my car is backed up against a rock wall in an underground carpark, and the reverberation is what makes it so loud. I'm surprised it hasn't set any car alarms off yet, touch wood.

I can't really remember how the car sounded on cold start without the x pipe, as I put it on less than 2 weeks after I got the car. It did get louder but I don't think it was drastic, and it certainly doesn't have the "bass" of normal mode. I still have absolutely no regrets about doing it, even if I have to start it in quiet mode at home.

Last night is a good example, I hadn't driven the car all day and came home at 10pm needing to change my wheels over. I had to cold start the car and move it into the middle of my two car spaces to give me enough room for the jack. Even in quiet mode, I started it and moved it as quickly as possible. It's still much louder than your average car.

I can't say if there will be drone with the h-pipe, as mine is an x. Only with the transmission in normal, and the exhaust in track does mine come anywhere near what I would call drone. But I drive around in sport trans and track exhuaust most of the time and the car just sounds bloody awesome. It's actually very deep even with the x, only when you're really up it does it get higher pitched, but I wouldn't call it raspy by any description. It'll definitely be raspy with headers though.

Sponsored
OP
OP
mstngjpm1

mstngjpm1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks msweet.

My car is actually parked out in the street as as my wife's car and my track car are parked off road, so being out on the street is an advantage as it is not enclosed, or up against any solid object so maybe I might just be able to get away with starting it in normal mode and use Quiet mode before say, 8.00am

In any case, I am pushing the button on this mod tomorrow. Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated

Will let you know how I go......

OP
OP
mstngjpm1

mstngjpm1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey guys

I had the H Pipe installed a couple of days ago and I gotta say it sure sounds the business. Great tone and as for the volume, it is very, very loud. Did I say, very loud!

And msweet is bang on . Can only do a cold start on Quiet mode as doing a cold start in Normal mode would attract every living creature within the known explored universe to wage war with the crazy guy in the Stang....... Seriously it sounds great but boy, is it loud!

Once it settles down from cold ( "settles" is too strong a word) it's better, but I reckon anything other than Quiet mode around my neighbourhood is just no on, either leaving home or coming home.

Around town, If I am confident that Constable Plod is not around, Normal mode is fantastic- I find that Sports mode is too much in city driving (due to the aforementioned possibility of the Constable Plod factor) but would be a blast on a lonely country road. And you can forget Race mode for city driving, way to loud even for someone like me who likes loud.

Amazingly, I find that in Quiet mode, unlike with the OE setup which is just dead boring, the car now makes a pleasant and quite sophisticated "growl" which I hate to say, is actually pretty good if you need to be "Plod proof". Never thought I would ever say that!

No sign of any drone or untoward vibration except only once, when the engine was almost labouring in 10th gear going up a steep hill at about 75 kph, (Trannie was in normal doing its own thing). Other than that, no drone issues.

My only real problem is that, given that this is my daily driver and that 90% of my driving is city driving, using the Exhaust in either Normal or Sports mode, I am finding myself reluctant to gun it from a set of lights (and don't we all love doing that!) because it is just so "Plod" attracting loud, which kinda defeats the purpose of getting this mod in the first place....

I think If most of your driving is on country roads, then this H Pipe is an absolute blast. The car sounds like a total beast alright, but for city driving, you would need to be really careful and "pick your road" before opening her up. I have seen pedestrians heads turn 200 metres away, when I have given it some herbs! Unfortunately, that isn't really a good thing though, as it could end in tears if anyone decides to dob you in.

Which brings me back to Quiet mode, damn it all, if I am not finding myself driving in this mode more often around town, with its pleasant growl.

So in conclusion, H Pipe is a great mod with a fantastic sound as long as you use it very, very carefully and if you do a lot of driving in the country, it would be a total blast. Around town though, it's a mod that will have you constantly flicking from Quiet to Normal/Sport to balance the fun with the reality of the ever present "Plod"

Now all I need to is have my own race track so that I could gun it all day to my heart's content...........

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0L, 2014 FPV F6
Thanks msweet.

My car is actually parked out in the street as as my wife's car and my track car are parked off road, so being out on the street is an advantage as it is not enclosed, or up against any solid object so maybe I might just be able to get away with starting it in normal mode and use Quiet mode before say, 8.00am

In any case, I am pushing the button on this mod tomorrow. Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated

Will let you know how I go......
Just do what you want and stuff the neighbours. I have to put up with so much inconsiderate shit from my neighbours (dogs constantly barking, yelling and shouting, reversing beepers, late night parties, the list goes on) that I don't care if my AWE with H pipe blasts them out of bed in the morning on a cold start, I can't wait for winter so it gets even louder.

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0L, 2014 FPV F6
Hey guys

I had the H Pipe installed a couple of days ago and I gotta say it sure sounds the business. Great tone and as for the volume, it is very, very loud. Did I say, very loud!

And msweet is bang on . Can only do a cold start on Quiet mode as doing a cold start in Normal mode would attract every living creature within the known explored universe to wage war with the crazy guy in the Stang....... Seriously it sounds great but boy, is it loud!

Once it settles down from cold ( "settles" is too strong a word) it's better, but I reckon anything other than Quiet mode around my neighbourhood is just no on, either leaving home or coming home.

Around town, If I am confident that Constable Plod is not around, Normal mode is fantastic- I find that Sports mode is too much in city driving (due to the aforementioned possibility of the Constable Plod factor) but would be a blast on a lonely country road. And you can forget Race mode for city driving, way to loud even for someone like me who likes loud.

Amazingly, I find that in Quiet mode, unlike with the OE setup which is just dead boring, the car now makes a pleasant and quite sophisticated "growl" which I hate to say, is actually pretty good if you need to be "Plod proof". Never thought I would ever say that!

No sign of any drone or untoward vibration except only once, when the engine was almost labouring in 10th gear going up a steep hill at about 75 kph, (Trannie was in normal doing its own thing). Other than that, no drone issues.

My only real problem is that, given that this is my daily driver and that 90% of my driving is city driving, using the Exhaust in either Normal or Sports mode, I am finding myself reluctant to gun it from a set of lights (and don't we all love doing that!) because it is just so "Plod" attracting loud, which kinda defeats the purpose of getting this mod in the first place....

I think If most of your driving is on country roads, then this H Pipe is an absolute blast. The car sounds like a total beast alright, but for city driving, you would need to be really careful and "pick your road" before opening her up. I have seen pedestrians heads turn 200 metres away, when I have given it some herbs! Unfortunately, that isn't really a good thing though, as it could end in tears if anyone decides to dob you in.

Which brings me back to Quiet mode, damn it all, if I am not finding myself driving in this mode more often around town, with its pleasant growl.

So in conclusion, H Pipe is a great mod with a fantastic sound as long as you use it very, very carefully and if you do a lot of driving in the country, it would be a total blast. Around town though, it's a mod that will have you constantly flicking from Quiet to Normal/Sport to balance the fun with the reality of the ever present "Plod"

Now all I need to is have my own race track so that I could gun it all day to my heart's content...........
Don't you find it odd that nearly every Harley Davidson that leaves the dealership has aftermarket pipes that are ear bleeding loud yet they never seem to get pulled over for the noise, every Harley in my town would be louder than my car!

KEM157

Instagram: racer.au
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.chemistking.com.au
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Hey guys

Great write up mate - thank you. I was looking at fitting an H-Pipe as my wants and concerns closely mirror yours, but may stick with the stock exhaust a while longer given what you have said about volume.
Sponsored