Wheel spacers installed with impact wrench

505bbjason

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT, PP1, A10, 301A 1968 El Camino
Fine threaded bolts have more surface area and thus require less torque to hold the same amount of mass but as you said they run the risk of pulling the threads out.

Ford suggested is ford engineer approved. Id like to see your engineering certificate before id listen to any of your rantings about ford suggested torque values being incorrect just to serve your agenda.
The ISO standard for a baseline fastener torque is to achieve 75% of the tensile loading required to yield the fastener. This value is a calculation based on the yield strength of the fastener material, and the minimum cross section of the fastener. Since like minor diameter of a fine thread is larger than coarse thread, the tensile load to yield the fastener is higher, and the suggested baseline torque is higher.

^^This statement is generic, and is where values in most torque tables comes from. In most applications it is adequate.

Now Ford likely performed additional calculations to validate their specified torque values, but as soon as someone changes that fastened joint be it by a wheel with a thicker flange, a spacer interface, or by having a different wheel alloy, error is introduced into those calculations. As I mentioned in my earlier post, if you go look in a torque table for a class 12.9 M14 fastener with fine thread, I bet it will be pretty damn close to 150 ft-lbs. I’d also be willing to bet Ford’s engineers calculated number wasn’t exactly 150 ft-lbs either, but it was likely close enough that 150 was chosen for convenience while still falling within a safe margin.

As for my credentials, I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering from Montana State University. My day job is designing tools, machines, and processes to produce the afterburner assembly for the F135 engine used in the F35 fighter jet. I also am a mechanic on a pro-modified car that has gone 5.81 at 250mph in the quarter mile during the summer months. Check my post history for a photo of it if you care.
Sponsored

pike1346

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang 5.0 Premium
The ISO standard for a baseline fastener torque is to achieve 75% of the tensile loading required to yield the fastener. This value is a calculation based on the yield strength of the fastener material, and the minimum cross section of the fastener. Since like minor diameter of a fine thread is larger than coarse thread, the tensile load to yield the fastener is higher, and the suggested baseline torque is higher.

^^This statement is generic, and is where values in most torque tables comes from. In most applications it is adequate.

Now Ford likely performed additional calculations to validate their specified torque values, but as soon as someone changes that fastened joint be it by a wheel with a thicker flange, a spacer interface, or by having a different wheel alloy, error is introduced into those calculations. As I mentioned in my earlier post, if you go look in a torque table for a class 12.9 M14 fastener with fine thread, I bet it will be pretty damn close to 150 ft-lbs. I’d also be willing to bet Ford’s engineers calculated number wasn’t exactly 150 ft-lbs either, but it was likely close enough that 150 was chosen for convenience while still falling within a safe margin.

As for my credentials, I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering from Montana State University. My day job is designing tools, machines, and processes to produce the afterburner assembly for the F135 engine used in the F35 fighter jet. I also am a mechanic on a pro-modified car that has gone 5.81 at 250mph in the quarter mile during the summer months. Check my post history for a photo of it if you care.
You probably should not post online that you are an engineer for the F35 engine......did the govt say this was okay, I highly doubt that. All of China is trying to hack you now....good job. China is trying to get their hands on that engine, and you post this on a forum???? WTF man?

505bbjason

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT, PP1, A10, 301A 1968 El Camino
You probably should not post online that you are an engineer for the F35 engine......did the govt say this was okay, I highly doubt that. All of China is trying to hack you now....good job. China is trying to get their hands on that engine, and you post this on a forum???? WTF man?
There is no restriction on saying that I work for a supplier of hardware on that engine. I have not exchanged any technical data of the hardware, nor do I possess any technical data outside of work. Everything I have said is public knowledge.

Sponsored

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
Come on guys. Keep it simple. If the tire shop used a Harbor Freight impact, then 4 ugga uggas are about 110ft/lbs of torque. If it was a Snap On, 3 ugga uggas equals around 150ft/lbs of torque.

OP
OP
Baso

Baso

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bassem
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 2016 Mustang V6
Come on guys. Keep it simple. If the tire shop used a Harbor Freight impact, then 4 ugga uggas are about 110ft/lbs of torque. If it was a Snap On, 3 ugga uggas equals around 150ft/lbs of torque.
Not sure what brand the wrench was, but I know it was a pneumatic driver. As for ugga uggas, I'm assuming those are the tuck tuck tuck clunks the tool does when the nut goes fully through, so if can recall I could hear about 3-4 for every nut.

1380KPOI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Poi Boy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
For me it’s pretty simple. I followed the instructions which came inside the box. It made it perfectly clear:

Spacer to Hub - factory spec (150 ft/lbs)
Wheel to Spacer - 85 to 95 ft/lbs
Do not use and inpact wrench

20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a newbie to the torque war. Will anyone tell me what the torque rating is for 20" Mustang wheels using stock lugs without spacers, please.

20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
I would consult the book, but, the dealer forgot to put it in the "secret" compartment in the glove box. I cannot retrieve it until Tuesday. So with all the knowledge this group has shared in this space I figured I would get a reliable answer. I was told by some that I should be careful of what I ask though. It may result in a simple hypothetical question of "what time is it...", and being told how to build a clock. Too hard to believe something like that would happen here. Or would it?

Sponsored

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
I would consult the book, but, the dealer forgot to put it in the "secret" compartment in the glove box. I cannot retrieve it until Tuesday. So with all the knowledge this group has shared in this space I figured I would get a reliable answer. I was told by some that I should be careful of what I ask though. It may result in a simple hypothetical question of "what time is it...", and being told how to build a clock. Too hard to believe something like that would happen here. Or would it?
from the online manual:
upload_2020-6-21_8-18-56.png

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...etCode=US&bookcode=O94050&VIN=&userMarket=USA

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Btw (since you've got an answer already) - all user manuals are available on-line and much easier to access than printed one in the glove box even if you have a car in the garage. I look things up (mainly specs on fluids or battery type or whatever) in it all the time (since wife has F-150 and I don't have this memorized).
Sponsored