Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
only a couple of those pics penetrate the crosshatch and if its using a buncha oil I'd be mad.. if its not roll on ..my car rattles , occasionally ticks and now it whines, because I supercharged it..still runs like a scalded dog and uses no oil ALL direct injected {18-19 up} rattle
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It does seem like November was a bad month. I keep asking for build dates and the majority is November.
I hope the crew that worked in mid November 2017 was fired cuz they sure sucked ass. My shift forks took a shit after 4k miles....they put a new transmission in it and now im at 18k miles and I for sure have that fucking rattle and my check engine came on a day ago.....im gonna take it in before its too late......I love my car way too much to be mad at it, its not the cars fault it was built shitty or by shitty people, maybe even both.....so FORD has to come through and make it right.....oh and btw, my build date was November 15 2017

Retroman1969

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT
only a couple of those pics penetrate the crosshatch and if its using a buncha oil I'd be mad.. if its not roll on ..my car rattles , occasionally ticks and now it whines, because I supercharged it..still runs like a scalded dog and uses no oil ALL direct injected {18-19 up} rattle
More than a couple, and my car drank a quart of oil in the first 2,500 miles, and a half quart in the past 1,000 miles.
None of this is normal or acceptable.

Retroman1969

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT
Thank you for that link.
This is far from an isolated problem.

PS:
The dealer just called. They are going over the car, no report as yet, but the manager asked me “who added oil to the car? You or a garage?”
I said that I topped it off twice when it read below the “add” mark, and I used the factory Motorcraft oil.
He just said: “Thank you” and hung up.
Now I’m wondering what they’re trying to cook up. :(

Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Not on FB
What's it say?
"Ok so I normally don't do this but I feel it is my duty to inform unsuspecting potential buyers of the 2018-2019 Ford F-150 and Mustang with the 5.0L engine. If you dont know it already this engine went through a major design overhaul for the 2018 model year turning the once reliable 5.0L Coyote engine into the new 5.4L 3v engineering disaster. These engines have so many problems at low mileages such as the infamous BBQ Tick noise, cylinder wall scuffing, oil consumption, rattle on deceleration and the latest is chirping from a failing timing chain tensioner. It seems every week a new message is coming out from Ford with another common failure point popping up that is under engineering investigation. Again I am not telling anyone what to do with their money but just be warned New is Not always better... "

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
"Ok so I normally don't do this but I feel it is my duty to inform unsuspecting potential buyers of the 2018-2019 Ford F-150 and Mustang with the 5.0L engine. If you dont know it already this engine went through a major design overhaul for the 2018 model year turning the once reliable 5.0L Coyote engine into the new 5.4L 3v engineering disaster. These engines have so many problems at low mileages such as the infamous BBQ Tick noise, cylinder wall scuffing, oil consumption, rattle on deceleration and the latest is chirping from a failing timing chain tensioner. It seems every week a new message is coming out from Ford with another common failure point popping up that is under engineering investigation. Again I am not telling anyone what to do with their money but just be warned New is Not always better... "
Is the Coyote in the F-150 trucks a 5.4L 3-valve? Thought it was basically the same engine as in the Mustang but with a different intake, etc.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Is the Coyote in the F-150 trucks a 5.4L 3-valve? Thought it was basically the same engine as in the Mustang but with a different intake, etc.
No, he's saying that they turned the Coyote into as much as a disaster as the 5.4L 3valve engines.

Sponsored

markbehr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
4100 miles here on my 19 GT and i have a rattle type noise around 3k rpms. My build date is 9/18

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
4100 miles here on my 19 GT and i have a rattle type noise around 3k rpms. My build date is 9/18
Mine started around 3300 miles.
I don’t believe my rattle is block bell spacer related as some of the Shelby’s have had.
Mine is very much rpm related and tempature of engine or outside temps has no bearing on its saying hello. Some outings are ...the most glorious sounds a man can experience with a 32V DOHC V-8
Other times it unwelcoming shows up to the party. Don’t know what to expect day to day.
Hmmm ....life lesson to be realized ?
My engine valve cover paper tag shows a date of 18 Dec 2017
Sponsored