Help buying 18 GT used with 10k miles

Ronin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTP Stage 1
I have a 16. No issues what so ever including any type of noise but the wonderful Borla. If in doubt and you can get a great deal, go 16-17. However 18+ and I bet you will be fine. Up to you now that you got the "tick" in your head. I don't blame you really. If I was trading up it would concern me. However I also come from the Vette world with Column lock and valve issues that never happened to me or anyone I know but reading the forum would scare the crap otta you.... You would think they are all time bombs.
Sponsored

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
it'll likely make some ''rattling" noise around 2k RPM under light throttle if it's quiet enough around to hear it. I bought mine used with 12k miles. Didn't notice the noise on the test drive but it def has it especially when cold. felt strong on the test drive. i've had it since Dec 1st and put 2500 miles on it. love it. check the oil and make sure it's above the low mark on the stick so that they put in 10 not 8 quarts and enjoy.
Sorry to hijack but can you describe the rattle more? Under light throttle in my manual at around 1800rpm, I hear a little weird drivetrain extra noise that tends to dissipate after higher rpm and usually only when the car is cold. I wouldn't describe it as a "rattle" though. Or maybe that is the "rattle" you speak of? I've yet to be able to hear it in videos that get posted.

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10 401A with Active Exhaust
I hear it when my car is about to shift from 1st to 2nd coming out of my neighborhood real slow. It's an A10. Rattle may be a little harsh of a word. It sounds like a fast paced clicking noise. It's for sure very audible though. Isnt there at all from idle to around 2k from a stop sign then right about 2k it comes on, then goes away when it shifts and the RPM drops back down. I could see why people would call it a rattle. Does sound a little like a rattle noise. I don't think anything is wrong, just seems part of the normal operating characteristic of this engine to me. It's 100% consistent every single time and doesn't show up any other time. Its there when warm too (same conditions except engine is warm) but not quite as loud.

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
on a side note i'd say if I did not have active exhaust, i may not ever have heard it b/c I didn't know the car had active exhaust (dealer didn't either) but when I started using quiet mode leaving the neighborhood I started noticing the noise. If you know it's there you can hear it but it's not louder than the exhaust in normal or track mode.

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
Buy it and if your concerned head over to Flood Ford and get the extended warranty. It is "relatively" cheap when you get one with a deductible.

2019 PP2 owner here. No regrets. It rattles but no ticks. No oil consumption and no power issues. Will get oil tested when changed. Will mention the noise to Ford at first service so it is documented and will drive on. If it starts to burn oil, get worst, and seems low on power I'd expect them to fix it. I have 7 years and 125k for it to rattle it self loose.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ablaze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 TO CFTP, 2013 SBY Boss 302
I'm not concerned. Sounds like it's a non-issue overall but thanks everyone. I'll have Ford document anything that comes up just in case and then go on about my life enjoying the car.

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don’t venture over to the TSB warranty section. I swear some of those guys are on their 5th long block. You’ll like the car man. Buy it. You won’t be disappointed

OP
OP

Ablaze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Got her home and washed up. Old news for you guys but the interior upgrades versus my 14 Shelby.. wow. Sync actually works too, incredible. The drivetrain is very.. well, 'soft' is the only word I can think of by comparison. The Shelby drivetrain is very tight and everything is deliberate. Definitely quite a few quirks between the two cars but for a daily driver this is a wonderful platform.

Next to just get the paint clayed and coated, windows tinted.. then pull off these wheels and put on either some RTR Tech 5s or SVE SP2s.
m8jrj4.jpg

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Sorry to hijack but can you describe the rattle more? Under light throttle in my manual at around 1800rpm, I hear a little weird drivetrain extra noise that tends to dissipate after higher rpm and usually only when the car is cold. I wouldn't describe it as a "rattle" though. Or maybe that is the "rattle" you speak of? I've yet to be able to hear it in videos that get posted.
To better describe the rattle It's like a valve train clicking noise that gets loud between 1800 and 2200 RPM most noticeably when the engine is cold. It's definitely in the engine and not the drive train as it will do the noise in neutral as well. The noise dissipates as the engine warms up but I still hear it slightly even when it is warmed up. I have 5500 miles on the car now and the noise seems to be more audible as the car gets more miles. My GF even heard it this past weekend and asked what the noise was. She hears background noise even more than me as she wears hearing aids and some sounds are magnified. I bring it up and I am concerned about it as I have owned so many cars with different engines and never heard a noise like this in a brand new engine. Only once did I ever hear a similar noise- and with a ticking at idle on an 4.3 V6 in a GM truck that I had rebuilt. The noise developed after 1K miles. I took the engine out, had it disassembled and the block had a cracked cylinder wall.

OP
OP

Ablaze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
Got the ceramic coating on (can't tell right now, cars filthy), new wheels/tires/springs and alignment. Comfort is right on at stock level so no complaints. Need to drive for a while then I'll check the alignment again. These 3.55s aren't doing it for me though. Going to wait a few months and do brakes, something to tighten up the drivetrain a bit (maybe motor mounts like I did on my other S197s), and probably 4.09 gears.
20190406_170810.jpg

20190406_170938.jpg

Sponsored

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got the ceramic coating on (can't tell right now, cars filthy), new wheels/tires/springs and alignment. Comfort is right on at stock level so no complaints. Need to drive for a while then I'll check the alignment again. These 3.55s aren't doing it for me though. Going to wait a few months and do brakes, something to tighten up the drivetrain a bit (maybe motor mounts like I did on my other S197s), and probably 4.09 gears.
That’s a good looking stance and car. What’s springs did you do? Sorry if it’s in your sig. Doesn’t show on mobile

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Btw I had a 2012 5.0 before my 18. The solid rear does feel way more tight as you put it but I like this car a lot better except the ride can be really bouncy at low speeds. That kind of drives me crazy sometimes but everything else makes up for it by a long shot. Especially the 10 speed trans

OP
OP

Ablaze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
I did CJPP springs with the Koni STR.Ts. And yes to me the SRA feels so much more stable and tight vs the IRS. My Shelby feels a lot more confident in the handling department, that's for sure. And I do mean a *lot* more. Granted, it has been modded. After I added the watts link it really felt like a gladiator on the street and road course. I still have a few more goodies down the road for the GT so we'll see.

Redskull

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
My car has about 6000km on it now and I do hear that 2K rattle every now and than.
If anything would be to happen it would be fixed under warranty anyway

007evan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
evan
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang GT 2019 VW Jetta GLI
I have a 18 GT with 2500 miles. I have not had one problem with it. I have done the suspension mods mich ps4 tires still run the 18 inch wheels had them coated in black to match the car. I wanted the 6 speed manual box but drove the 10 speed automatic. In sport mode its great but the auto gets confused on back roads and the track which gear to be in. I have owned mustang svo fox body GTs. Just spend the money and buy the 2018 you will love the car. For the price you cannot beat what ford has on offer now. I got the 100k warrantie as well included in the price.
Sponsored