Sponsored

2018 Mustang GT- Dealer Lied/ non stop CEL under 3k Miles

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
If tags are ready that means it has been titled to you
It doesn't mean that it can't be undone.

When I got my Charger, it was late at night and the dealer had multiple lots. We finished up the paperwork and they brought the car over from a different to show me. It was pitch black and I only had my cellphone light. I didn't see any issues and told them that I'd pick it up the next day once I could get my wheels swapped and so on.
I get there the next day and my jaw drops. They had "detailed" it with what I assume is a Brillo pad. The trunk had scratches down to the primer in some spots. The hood the same. There was holograms in the paint like someone took their anger out with the buffing pad.

I immediately grabbed the manager and told him that I would not take delivery of this car in this condition. He said he'd get the bodyshop to take a look. They said it needed repaint on multiple panels. They had already sent the titlework to the bank and the state. I had signed all the loan agreements obviously and the car was "legally" mine.

They had one in the same exact spec minus the dealer installed scratch options. After about 5 hours of work, they were able to change the vin on the bank and on the state paperwork and I went home in the flawless car.

TL;DR
Yes, this can be undone if the dealer is willing to work with him. Legally speaking, they can't sell a previously owned vehicle as new.

Side note, I'd never buy a NEW car with 170+ miles on it. In fact, anything more than 10 is pushing it.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Unwinding out of the question?

Sponsored

Tone Everready

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB and 2019 GT
You bought a used car correct? Typically they have no obligation to tell you the service history of a used car. Did you ask them for the service history?

I would be very skeptical of a low mile 18-19 at this point. For that matter a low mile new car in general. There's a reason someone got rid of it with 3k miles on it.
That’s way too general of a statement. So, my ‘16 that I just sold at 7850 miles should be looked at as suspect, and not as a cream puff weekend car that was upgraded because I liked the features of the newer car? That’s ridiculous. Do your research before buying ANY used car. I understand more caution needs to be taken with the 18-19 cars, but c’mon...

OP
OP
Mike10645

Mike10645

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Update:

Got my car back after 20 days, said it was fixed. I went to pick it up, and huge clouds of smoke still coming out of the exhaust. I have a video of it, but not sure how to upload it here. Shop said Ford closed my buyback case, and I’ve left them 3 voicemails since then trying to get it reopened. Still have yet to hear back.

Left it at the shop, called the original dealer. They told me to get it from the shop, and they would take it down to theirs in Mississippi. They drove me a loaner up to Memphis from their dealership and took my car down there today. They say they have shipped my replacement already and it is on the lot, guess we just need to finish the process.

Looks like I am a step closer. This would be the 3rd time in the shop in 30 days for the same issue, so from what I read I should qualify for it now. Seems like more smoke coming from it now than it did originally. I’ll update again when I have some new info.

OP
OP
Mike10645

Mike10645

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So the selling dealer has a replacement mustang for you?
Yes. They just got my car down there last night, have a call with them this morning to see what I need to do from here. They say they have my replacement already there, just need to finish the process.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
OASIS and other reports can be very helpful and definitely get you more information on many things that Car Fax won't (Car Fax reports aren't all that consistent across different states for accidents etc - not all are reported depending on state / local law enforcement rules - especially if insurance doesn't get involved) but keep in mind that cars like Mustang GTs often get driven daily by dealership employees, management etc. They drive it everyday like it's their car, but it never gets "sold" or titled in their name. It's considered a job perk by more than a few dealership employees I know. This tends to happen more often with performance-oriented cars. I once witnessed a dealer trying to sell a friend a 'new' Corvette (that's we'd driven over 300 miles to come pick up / close the deal on) that had almost 500 miles.

Sponsored

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
I bought it NEW, it had 175 miles on it. I was told I was the first owner. I guess maybe because it never got tagged, it was still classed as a new vehicle. He went out of his way to say the VIN was “accidentally” tied to another deal, so there would be a delay in the tags.
Time to Lawyer up and make them take the car back.

300mag

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Prem Vert
j
Yes. They just got my car down there last night, have a call with them this morning to see what I need to do from here. They say they have my replacement already there, just need to finish the process.
ust curious if the dealer took care of you and got you into replacement .

OP
OP
Mike10645

Mike10645

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
j

ust curious if the dealer took care of you and got you into replacement .
Not yet. It is back at the dealership I purchased it from, have a call with Ford on Monday.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Not yet. It is back at the dealership I purchased it from, have a call with Ford on Monday.
Hope you can reach an amicable agreement.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
There's a reason someone got rid of it with 3k miles on it.
Cuz the internet and youtube told hiim so... never mind the billion dollar company that engineered the car...
Sponsored