Sponsored

Ford Trademarks "Mustang Mach-E" Name (and new Pony Badge)

RaceHorseV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2001 Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2019 GT
What will the Shelby version be called? Glow-worm? Electric-eel? :cwl:

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
The thing that's most painful if they go with the Mustang name for this SUV is that they had so many good names to choose from that also made more sense for an EV. Lightning, Thunder, Thunderbolt, even Thunderbird would go over better than Mustang Mach E.

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
The thing that's most painful if they go with the Mustang name for this SUV is that they had so many good names to choose from that also made more sense for an EV. Lightning, Thunder, Thunderbolt, even Thunderbird would go over better than Mustang Mach E.
I don't understand why if they are going to base it off the new Explorer platform. Why not make a smaller version of a Explorer than a Mustang Crossover.

This might as bad as Mitsubishi calling their crossover a Eclipse now.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Thunderbolt and Lightning indeed are indeed much better names for that new electric van. Lightning might piss off a few older truck owners but that'll pass. Smearing the Mustang name will not pass and will haunt Ford for years to come. It might indeed go down automotive history as a marketing blunder of New Coke proportions.

I understand Ford wants to capitalize on the Mustang image and styling as this will probably be very lucrative. And that is a good thing, because a healthy Ford means a healthy future for the Mustang. Look how Porsche styled their van after the 911 and it became their biggest selling vehicle to date. But they were smart enough not to call it 911.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I don't understand why if they are going to base it off the new Explorer platform. Why not make a smaller version of a Explorer than a Mustang Crossover.

This might as bad as Mitsubishi calling their crossover a Eclipse now.
The Mach-E isn't based off the new Explorer platform, it's the 5th of the 5 new architectures for Ford going forwards:

• FWD (transverse) unibody
  • RWD (longitudinal) unibody
  • Commercial van unibody
  • Body-on-frame
  • Battery-electric vehicle

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Thunderbolt and Lightning indeed are indeed much better names for that new electric van. Lightning might piss off a few older truck owners but that'll pass. Smearing the Mustang name will not pass and will haunt Ford for years to come. It might indeed go down automotive history as a marketing blunder of New Coke proportions.

I understand Ford wants to capitalize on the Mustang image and styling as this will probably be very lucrative. And that is a good thing, because a healthy Ford means a healthy future for the Mustang. Look how Porsche styled their van after the 911 and it became their biggest selling vehicle to date. But they were smart enough not to call it 911.
Absolutely.

When Ford announced the new Electric crossover would be called Mach 1, the Mustang world let them know this was sacrilege. It appeared Ford has listened and came back with "er....we were just putting the name out there".......and we thought they realised the Mustang name was, indeed, sacred.

Seems they thought it was only Mach 1 that we were worried about. No Ford.....NO. This new electric crossover is no more of a Mustang than the FWD Probe was. You listened then so PLEASE listen now! DO NOT CALL THIS A MUSTANG OR PUT A PONY BADGE ON IT!!!

Sponsored

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
The Mach-E isn't based off the new Explorer platform, it's the 5th of the 5 new architectures for Ford going forwards:

• FWD (transverse) unibody
  • RWD (longitudinal) unibody
  • Commercial van unibody
  • Body-on-frame
  • Battery-electric vehicle
Ok, guess I was confused with the new platforms.

Since the S650 is supposed to be on the Explorer platform, but this E- thing is not going to be a S650

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Ok, guess I was confused with the new platforms.

Since the S650 is supposed to be on the Explorer platform, but this E- thing is not going to be a S650

Correct. The only thing the Mach E will share with the S550/S650 is the name and a pony badge :(

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Ford is at risk of disenfranchising fans of the Mustang brand.

The pony badge is a HUGE part of that brand.

It is simple: IF it isn't a pony/sports CAR in the same lineup as other Mustangs, it doesn't get the badge, the Mustang name, or any of the Mustang's historic trim level branding.

It isn't that difficult.

What this is and will be is a lesson in foolishness.

A Mach-E, electric assisted Mustang sports CAR would be an acceptable evolution in a trim level of the actual Mustang CAR. But that chopped up name going on an SUV/crossover/whatever? The heck?

I guess next we will see Chevy coming out with the ZL-E, the E-28, and the Sting-E, or E-Ray (distinct possibility actually - but it will be an actual Vette) but they will be SUVs instead of Camaros and Corvettes? Because that's what is happening here.

MAch - E going to anything other than the Mustang itself just shows that Ford has ZERO vision for the future of the Mach 1 Mustang trim level. Instead of taking a great band and honing it and making it even greater, they are looking at it as fairly dust to grind up and sprinkle over the rest of the lineup in hopes that Mustang brand loyalty will magically transfer to other vehicles that carry broken off pieces of its branding. .

And that just sucks.

Wake up Ford.

Last edited:

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Ford is at risk of disenfranchising fans of the Mustang brand.

The pony badge is a HUGE part of that brand.

It is simple: IF it isn't a pony/sports CAR in the same lineup as other Mustangs, it doesn't get the badge, the Mustang name, or any of the Mustang's historic trim level branding.

It isn't that difficult.

What this is and will be is a lesson in foolishness.

A Mach-E, electric assisted Mustang sports CAR would be an acceptable evolution in a trim level of the actual Mustang CAR. But that chopped up name going on an SUV/crossover/whatever? The heck?

I guess next we will see Chevy coming out with the ZL-E, the E-28, and the Sting-E, or E-Ray (distinct possibility actually - but it will be an actual Vette) but they will be SUVs instead of Camaros and Corvettes? Because that's what is happening here.

MAch - E going to anything other than the Mustang itself just shows that Ford has ZERO vision for the future of the Mach 1 Mustang trim level. Instead of taking a great band and honing it and making it even greater, they are looking at it as fairly dust to grind up and sprinkle over the rest of the lineup in hopes that Mustang brand loyalty will magically transfer to other vehicles that carry broken off pieces of its branding. .

And that just sucks.

Wake up Ford.

As I said in an earlier thread, what I want to see is the Mustang inspired school bus - but wait - I have another idea: The Mustang inspired dump truck with a 78.0 on the fender with the pony logo on the grill and a big GT on the back.

Engine: Komatsu SSDA18V70 / Cummins QSK78Cylinders: V-18
Displacement: 78L (4,735 ci)
Power: 3,500 hp
Top Speed (loaded): 40 mph

This can only help the brand! :rockon:

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
, they are looking at it as fairly dust to grind up and sprinkle over the rest of the lineup in hopes that Mustang brand loyalty will magically transfer to other vehicles that carry broken off pieces of its branding. .

Burn 50 000 or whatever Mustang diehards, recruit/replace 500 000 more SUV buyers maybe

Breaks my heart, don’t like it but marketing and the accountants would love it
Sponsored