Sponsored

Seattle winters and rain?

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I currently have the stock Pirelli P-Zero Nero's that came on my base model GT, and last winter I was not all that impressed with driving in snow. They seem to do fairly well in the rain though, and carve through deep puddles well on the highway at 60mph. My car is a DD, so I need something good for the winters more than for the track.

Well, now I have my new 19x10 SVE R350's sitting in the box, ready to go I will be getting new tires hear in the next month or so. I'm basically down to 2 choices. Both are good, but I wonder which will maximize my winter snow traction, yet also best for rain and potential hydroplaning. I live in the Seattle area, so getting caught in this garbage always seems to happen to me.

I keep reading that a wider tire will hydroplane easier and not dig into the snow as well, just because of the larger footprint with less pressure per square inch. So, I'm wondering what the best option is here.

- 265/40-19 Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+

- 285/35-19 Continental Extreme Contact DWS-06

The 265's are an interesting idea, since no others really come in that size. However, I have no idea what they will look like with a slight stretch on the 19x10 R350 rim, which seems to actually measure more like a 19x11 for some reason.

Any thoughts on this?

Sponsored

Last edited:

505bbjason

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT, PP1, A10, 301A 1968 El Camino
I just have the stock 18+ PP1 Michelin PS4s, and they actually did great in the rain this winter (I live in Kent). They are useless in the snow however. I didn’t have a problem with it because I also have a beater I can use, and I could get a ride into work. When they wear out, I’ll probaby get the same tires again. They worked great for me for all but two weeks out of the last year, and since I have backup options, I’d rather not get a tire that’s a compromise of “summer” performance. If the snow issue is a dealbreaker, I know of folks that have used both the tires you listed with no complaints.

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I guess what I should be asking, is whether or not any of you guys have had any problems with hydroplaning with the 285 tires, since they have such a wide footprint compared to the 235-265 range of stock tires?

505bbjason

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT, PP1, A10, 301A 1968 El Camino
I can’t speak for 285’s, but I have 275’s in the rear, which should be pretty close to the contact patch of the 285. The 275 is a bit narrower, but it’s also taller, which gets you back the contact patch you loose from the width. No issues with the rear of the car wanting to hydroplane. I can’t speak for the fronts though, as they are 255’s and will be even less likely.

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'm starting to think after watching the video above, if I shouldn't compromise by staying with a 265 tire. Those 285's started hydroplaning a lot compared to the others.
Sponsored